The M-Spot For General discussion of the M35/M45

Infiniti had better step it up with the M35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti had better step it up with the M35

I'm going to be buying a new car this coming fall and have been considering the G35 sedan, the M35, and the lexus GS350.

I really like the M35 Sport, and up until this year apparently, it had the 6cyl GS series covered. Lexus was using their inline 6 cylinder before 2007. It appears they now have fitted it with the same 3.5L that's in the IS350 so it's got like 305hp. What is the likelihood that Infiniti will upgrade the M35 to the 306hp HR engine that's in the new G35? It would seem like a no brainer to keep pace with Lexus and the other german sedans in my opinion. As of right now, I don't see myself buying an M series if they continue to equip it with the old 275hp VQ engine.

what are you guys thoughts on this?

Old 03-14-2007, 12:30 PM
If you are going to buy a car based on HP alone then get the Lexus. It seems to be that's what you care about most.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by RRF985
If you are going to buy a car based on HP alone then get the Lexus. It seems to be that's what you care about most.
Not necesarilly, but you can't deny the horsepower wars that are going on nowadays. It's been quite a while since Infiniti did anything with the current engine. If they have the technology....why not use it to upgrade??? Does it not make sense to be on the cutting edge? Afterall, people do want MORE of everything, including HP. I just think that there is nothing to be lost, and everything to be gained by putting the HR engine into the M.

Just my $.02

Old 03-14-2007, 04:34 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
get the newGsedan if the M doesnt get the new engine in the 07-08 models.
-GP-

Old 03-14-2007, 04:39 PM
I think you guys are missing half the point here. Yes it will have an impact on which vehicle I buy. But, more importantly it's a message to Infiniti......everyone else is upping the ante, they need to do so as well for their own financial state or they will be left behind. Agree?

Old 03-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Maybe they will, maybe they won't. I'm sure they aren't shivering in the panties because you think they should upgrade. But IMHO, the M35 will eventually get the new VQ37HR. They will probably use this engine for most of their upcoming lines using the V6. The question is what is the M45 going to do when it's only about 30hp ahead with it's V8?? *hint*

Old 03-14-2007, 06:51 PM
N50
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Maybe they will, maybe they won't. I'm sure they aren't shivering in the panties because you think they should upgrade. But IMHO, the M35 will eventually get the new VQ37HR. They will probably use this engine for most of their upcoming lines using the V6. The question is what is the M45 going to do when it's only about 30hp ahead with it's V8?? *hint*
M50...I'm pretty postive the next FX is getting a 5.0L V8 and the M would follow suit, or vice versa.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
What's the power rating? Nice!

Old 03-14-2007, 07:17 PM
N50
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
What's the power rating? Nice!
A freshalloy member posted the following:

Got invited to a market research study and it turned out it was to evaluate a concept FX. I had to compare it agains the Mercedes ML, Acura MDX, Lexus RX, and BMW X5. The side profile is pretty much the same with the addition of vents in front of the front wheels. The back is evolutionary....nice curves and lines....a nice step forward. The front....I remain somewhat speechless. Wheras the current FX has a tall front grill, the front of this car appeared much thinner. It was almost like the front of a sports car had been stuck onto the FX. The front was the biggest change and I'm not sold on it yet. However, compared to the other cars, I'd still pick the FX.

The FX35 gets bumped up to 300hp. The FX50 comes with 390hp and 369 tourque. This sold me more than anything. I would guess that weight doesn't change that much, so this thing must be quick.

The interior (which by the way, you couldn't get into the concept car, you had to get into a mock-up of it to evaluate the interior) was nice. The steering wheel was hot with really cool looking paddle shifters. The look of it and the instrument panel reminded me a bit of the Acura MDX. The center console was much like the M. The only problem with the interior was this hideous diagonal patterned leather. I told them that that feature alone made me give the overall interior low marks. I pray that doesn't make it into production.

I'm invited back for a focus group, so I'll have another opportunity to help Infiniti get this right. I can't believe I got picked for this and even better they paid me $150 for my time.
This may answer a couple of questions:

1.) The new V8 will be a 5.0L V8 if what is quoted above is true.
2.) The new FX will NOT get a third row seat. I'm not sure how that rumor got started but everyone I talked to said that wasn't happening, and, it doesn't seem to be the case by the description above.
3.) Power ratings look to be around 400h and some hefty torque, nearly 370. (I'm not sure why Infiniti would disclose that at a research study, though)
4.) The FX is going more upscale. EX = G, FX = M

As far as the 5.0L V8, I heard rumors regarding this possibility well before the freshalloy member posted this. So I'm thinking there is validity to those rumors. Or, at least, I hope!

Last edited by N50; 03-14-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by speedfreak81
I think you guys are missing half the point here. Yes it will have an impact on which vehicle I buy. But, more importantly it's a message to Infiniti......everyone else is upping the ante, they need to do so as well for their own financial state or they will be left behind. Agree?
The GS may have a stronger engine now, but its not helping their sales much. The M blows the GS away in reviews and has been selling by a higher margin recently. The M is also CR's highest rated luxury sedan

Old 03-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by ColdFusion
The GS may have a stronger engine now, but its not helping their sales much. The M blows the GS away in reviews and has been selling by a higher margin recently. The M is also CR's highest rated luxury sedan
That's GREAT news....and if they put the 306hp VQ35HR into it...that would just be icing on the cake!

Old 03-16-2007, 04:58 PM
I've owned 4 Lexus'. I now own an M35. I'll NEVER buy another POS Lexus product. Besides the engine you many want to take a look at all the transmission problems they are having. I would trade a couple of HP for my smooth as silk M35 trans any day. Good luck with your purchase. See Club Lexus.com for further information.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:39 PM
Regardless of what car you buy, there will always be a similar cars with more hp since automakers revise models every few years. I think when you buy a car, you need to buy one that satisfies you on multiple levels and one you can live with for several years.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by speedfreak81
I'm going to be buying a new car this coming fall and have been considering the G35 sedan, the M35, and the lexus GS350.

I really like the M35 Sport, and up until this year apparently, it had the 6cyl GS series covered. Lexus was using their inline 6 cylinder before 2007. It appears they now have fitted it with the same 3.5L that's in the IS350 so it's got like 305hp. What is the likelihood that Infiniti will upgrade the M35 to the 306hp HR engine that's in the new G35? It would seem like a no brainer to keep pace with Lexus and the other german sedans in my opinion. As of right now, I don't see myself buying an M series if they continue to equip it with the old 275hp VQ engine.

what are you guys thoughts on this?
306hp is really slow man,consider everything else coming out..306 is just terrible,im getting the new supra next yeah v8 twin turbo 450hp how about that?

Old 03-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
i'm suprised road and track claims the new GS350 AWD does 13.8 @ 101 mph in the 1320 .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti had better step it up with the M35