Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Wheel Controls for CarPuter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 03:01 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering Wheel Controls for CarPuter

*** POST MODIFIED 1/18/2005 ***

This thread shows you how to build a cable that will hook into the steering wheel controls on the g35 and allow a computer to read the values via the game port and turn them into key presses with the included program. This will allow the volume up/down, mode, on/off, and track up/down to be tracked as events on the computer.

This is basically a 6ft joystick wire with a couple resistors and diodes in it that you hook from your steering wheel control wires going into the head directly directly into your computers game port.

Read through the rest of the thread for instructions on how to build it.

Last edited by god_of_cpu; 01-18-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Steering Wheel Controls for CarPuter

hmm..
I was just thinking about something like this the other day.

One issue would be, can I somehow control both the normal headunit AND the carputer, by utilizing some sort of switch to switch between which you want to control.

Personally, I plan on still using my headunit quite a bit, so switching between the two is important to me.

Thanks

2004 Twlight Blue/Willow 6mt Coupe.
Bel Vector 985 Hardwired.
Grounding Kit.
Next Project: Carputer.

Old 03-11-2004, 06:29 PM

Yes!!!!!
Thank you God.
CPU God that is.

G35 Coupe 5AT, DP, Tire and Wheel Pkg., Aluminum Pedals, Clear Corners, missing turbo

Old 03-11-2004, 08:36 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer

I haven't figured out the whole circuit yet, I've only done enough testing to know that it should work since I don't have all the parts yet. Being able to still use the controls with the head unit is very important to me too, so there will definitly be a switch of some sort built in, probably just a simply toggle switch unless I figure out a more elegant way to do it.

Old 03-11-2004, 11:09 PM

hey GOC you have the service manual from infiniti?

They've got some nice info in there that may be of help, just in case you don't have it.

Unfortunately I think I won't be joining in on this buy. I have the ATI remote wonder (in addition to the touchscreen), and I'll probably be using that exclusively to change tracks and whatnot.

Sounds like a great plan though. Definately post pics and your experiences when you finish, I'd like to hear them.

Grounding Kit.

Old 03-12-2004, 12:19 AM

I'm interested as well. Just tell me what your device plugs into.

Thanks,

BLKSNAKE - '04 G35 Coupe
Check out my hidden sub! [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Old 03-12-2004, 09:27 AM
StreetDeck.com Developer

Yeah I downloaded the service manual last weekend, thats what got me started on this. I'll post pics and the final circuit used when all is said and done.

Wizawuza,

Where did you put the IR sensor for your remote? I'm eventually goint to add a remote and thought abount mounting it behind the red plastic area by the compass, but couldn't find the room for the keyspan remote sensor I have where it would get good reception.

Old 03-12-2004, 03:37 PM

im pretty sure wiz has the same remote as me... if so then the ati remote wonder is RF so you dont need line o sight.. its a sweet deal.. i got mine under the passenger seat, and it works like a dream.. had it in the trunk, but if the stupid thing was near the rear of the trunk i had to put the remote kinda backwards.. under front seat it works great..

not too bad.. just got hub under front seat to run gps to front windshield, remote rf receiver and my usb touchpad..

Old 03-12-2004, 06:06 PM

yeah RF, just as stevedg35 said.

It's not mounted yet (carputer process has been slowed down lately, been busy at work), but it'll be in teh trunk next to my computer. No line of sight problems, so I figure why worry. And I doubt it'll be too far to be a problem, cause it'll be near the front of the trunk (close to the rear passengers).

I've heard of other IR remote installations... sorry I don't have any good advice about where to have the receiver.

Grounding Kit.

Old 03-14-2004, 11:48 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer

Good news. I did a little more playing around this weekend and it looks like the steering wheel controls output a varible current signal rather then a variable voltage signal. This basically means that it should be possible to hook up the X and Y axis from the gameport directly to the steering wheel control signal lines (No need for the circuit I was gonna build that converted voltage to current). I did a little playing around and I was actually able to read a different joystick direction based on which button on the steering wheel was pressed. I also had to hook up a parallel diode and 10 ohm resistor to prevent the current from going to 0 and the connection to the joystick being lost when no button is pressed. I still have to solder the few connections together and throw in a couple relays connected to a switch to switch between using the controls for the radio and for the computer, but once I do that and test it, I'll post complete instructions for how to do it. All the parts you shoudl be able to get at your local radio shack (2 diodes, 2 10 ohm resistors).

Old 03-15-2004, 05:47 AM

just curious god.. is there any reason taht you couldnt just splice off of the wires that run from the steering wheel controls.. im sure they run to some sort of adapter.. then just run those splices to a say.. parallel or serial plug.. only like maybe 10 different buttons on the wheel controls right?

maybe not since i think the parallel type ports would go better with the voltage changes and you say the wheel controls are current based.. just seems like it would be nice not needing a switch to flip so that it knows if you on radio/cd/tape, or your computer input..

then just have some app in your computer that can interpret the signal off the wire? im not real good no that kinda thing.. but just thinking if all the

Old 03-15-2004, 08:54 AM
Premier Member

Count me in!

Thanks - Joey Avino

Old 03-15-2004, 10:33 AM
StreetDeck.com Developer

I initially wanted to do just serial or parallel connection, but this won't work cause the data lines for the steering wheel controls are not digital or in an (voltage on = high / voltage off = low) type format that could be converted to serial or parallel easily. There are only 2 data lines for the 6 steering wheel controls on the steering wheel that read at a different current for each button that is pressed (i.e. 5v for mode, 3v for vol up, 1.5v for track up). To get this into a format that a serial port could read, you would need an analog to digital converter that would convert the voltage to a binary number of highs and lows for the port to read. Heres where the game port comes in... The x and y axis for the gameport is actually an analog to digital converter therefore if you just feed one of the steering wheel control lines into an axis for the joystick, it will give a value along the axis according to the current flowing through the line. I am essentially just splicing into the lines from the steering wheel, but there will have to be a switch to control which way the splice goes, to the computer or to the radio.

Also, I dont see how using a parallel or serial port could be used to get around using a switch? If you don't have a switch of some sort in place, the controls would control both the radio and the computer and the same time. The switch that I'm going to be using switches 3 relays for the 3 lines going to the steerign wheel controls. If you want, you could easily power these relays with power from the computer so they switch to control the computer when the computer is on and control the radio when the computer is off or just hook the relays into a toggle switch. I will be hooking mine up to a main power switch that also toggles my FM modulator on and off.

Old 03-15-2004, 11:11 AM

ahh you right.. when i posted that i was on like hour 12 of my nights work.. i was kinda dead head.. heh now that i think about it.. like you say if it didnt have a selector switch it would control the comp and the head unit.. i was hoping for some reason the headunit would ignore it while in computer mode or something.. but i guess the headunit wouldnt know any different.. oh well..

only other thing i can think of.. i thought i saw something about the upcoming PAC audio adapter thingy.. how they were coming up with some type of thing so that you could utilize your steering controls on auxillary audio inputs... i think it was IR or something..

since it uses the SAT input.. maybe when the SAT input is selected it trips a relay which then stops sending the signal to the headunit from steering wheel and instead diverts the signal to the IR thingy.. that way the head unit doesnt get confused..?

something like that might be an idea.. assuming youdont really like your fm modulator.. if you get the pac when it comes out.. maybe something that diverts signal based on what mode the HU is in.. radio/tape/cd.. regular.. otherwise pc thingy.. would just make it one step closer to a clean install..

psst.. if im rambling i have been up too long and i think my brains are typing a little w/o the brains permission!

Old 03-15-2004, 02:12 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer

Nah, your not rambling, this thing currently has a few bugs to work out, I appreciate the comments.

I'm definitly going to get the PAC when it comes out and I don't think it would be hard to get the relays to trip when the PAC is activated, however, I've been waiting for the PAC for 6 months now and I want to use my steering wheel controls NOW Also, based on the existing aux input adaptors on the PAC website it also appears that you need to purchase a $70 SWI-X in addition to the AUX adaptor just to get the steering wheel controls to work. Parts for this game port interface should be < $15 and it connects directly to the PC.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Controls for CarPuter