Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

DIY: Add a sub to your Bose equipped G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nvermind, i picked one up and it says which wires go where. thanks!

Old 10-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by G35REVUP
Ok, thanks! So if youre using a LOC, you need to hook it up after the signal goes through the amp instead since obviously it will be converting the high signal. Although I still am not clear as to how the wires hook up though or if the polarity of the wires matters.Are most line output converters wires labeled as a +/- and simply hook to the +/- of the speaker wires?
Yep, just connect to the +/- of the speaker wires and wire to your amp.

If your amp has speaker-level inputs, you don't need the LOC.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice Job I wish I have seen this before

Old 10-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Banned
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dR6
As you approach the rear seat, you have to remove the bottom cushion by pulling straight up on each side. This allows you to continue to run your power wire to the trunk. Once you have the power wire running the way you want it, you can replace all the parts you had removed earlier.

The next step is to find the Bose amp underneath the trunk coverings on the driver's side. There are two harnesses that are running to the amp. The one you want is the blue harness. Remove that and identify your input wires:

Head Output Rear Right + Blue
Head Output Rear Right - Pink

Head Output Rear Left + Teal
Head Output Rear Left - Purple

Remote Wire Light Blue/ Silver

You need to be able to convert 18 gauge wires to an RCA jack to connect to the amp. One way was to get an RCA jack with a twisted pair of wires that you can cut and then splice. Another option is to get the JL line conversion that I used (pricey - $25, but I couldn't wait for mail-order). Splice them with in-line splicers available at Radio Shack and tape it up with electrical tape. You also want to splice into the Remote Wire for the amp. Although the JL amps have audio sensing power-on capability, it is unreliable (I found out the hard way) and I recommend using a direct remote power-on line.
Nice write up man! this will make it much easier for me! appreciate it

Old 10-25-2012, 12:10 PM
Banned
Question

Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Yep, just connect to the +/- of the speaker wires and wire to your amp.

If your amp has speaker-level inputs, you don't need the LOC.
So i can just splice my rca from my sub amp and hook it right to the 6x9 speaker wire running into the speaker itself? What would i hook the amp remote wire to then?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by nbarkins
So i can just splice my rca from my sub amp and hook it right to the 6x9 speaker wire running into the speaker itself? What would i hook the amp remote wire to then?

Thanks in advance
Yes, provided your amp has speaker-level inputs. Just remember, you're at the mercy of the horrible EQ built into the bose amp if you're doing this.

As for the remote wire - from the post you quoted above:

Originally Posted by dR6
As you approach the rear seat, you have to remove the bottom cushion by pulling straight up on each side. This allows you to continue to run your power wire to the trunk. Once you have the power wire running the way you want it, you can replace all the parts you had removed earlier.

The next step is to find the Bose amp underneath the trunk coverings on the driver's side. There are two harnesses that are running to the amp. The one you want is the blue harness. Remove that and identify your input wires:

Head Output Rear Right + Blue
Head Output Rear Right - Pink

Head Output Rear Left + Teal
Head Output Rear Left - Purple

Remote Wire Light Blue/ Silver

You need to be able to convert 18 gauge wires to an RCA jack to connect to the amp. One way was to get an RCA jack with a twisted pair of wires that you can cut and then splice. Another option is to get the JL line conversion that I used (pricey - $25, but I couldn't wait for mail-order). Splice them with in-line splicers available at Radio Shack and tape it up with electrical tape. You also want to splice into the Remote Wire for the amp. Although the JL amps have audio sensing power-on capability, it is unreliable (I found out the hard way) and I recommend using a direct remote power-on line.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Banned
Question

Yes, provided your amp has speaker-level inputs. Just remember, you're at the mercy of the horrible EQ built into the bose amp if you're doing this.

As for the remote wire - from the post you quoted above:
Ty for the response. I have like 6 different amps,they all have multiple adjustments. So if i do it with the proper connector,instead of splicing the rca's, will the sound be better?

Old 10-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Ty for the response. I have like 6 different amps,they all have multiple adjustments. So if i do it with the proper connector,instead of splicing the rca's, will the sound be better?
If you're using the signal from the bose headunit before the bose amp, it's a clean signal, with no horrible equalization, however, it's a balanced signal. If your amp takes a balanced signal, that's the optimal way to do it. Anything after the bose amp has been screwed with and will be a worse signal to send to your amp, but it's unbalanced at that point, so pretty much any amp can take it.

The following users liked this post:
nbarkins (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Banned
If you're using the signal from the bose headunit before the bose amp, it's a clean signal, with no horrible equalization, however, it's a balanced signal. If your amp takes a balanced signal, that's the optimal way to do it. Anything after the bose amp has been screwed with and will be a worse signal to send to your amp, but it's unbalanced at that point, so pretty much any amp can take it.
so does the rca converter plug in before or after?

Old 10-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

so does the rca converter plug in before or after?
An LOC splices in after the bose amp, but if you're using an amp that takes a balanced signal, you'll splice RCAs in before the bose amp.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:25 AM
An LOC splices in after the bose amp, but if you're using an amp that takes a balanced signal, you'll splice RCAs in before the bose amp.

I spliced my LOC in using the blue plug on the bose amp... it works fine, is this the right way or did i mess up?

Old 10-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by G35REVUP
I spliced my LOC in using the blue plug on the bose amp... it works fine, is this the right way or did i mess up?
Depends on the type of amp, really, but if it doesn't sound bad, then it's probably correct for the equipment you have.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Depends on the type of amp, really, but if it doesn't sound bad, then it's probably correct for the equipment you have.
The amp im using has unbalanced rcas... just want to make sure the car isnt going to start on fire or something haha. I can hear a little bit of unwanted noise with the volume real low, i dont know if grounding the LOC will help this at all or not though.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Banned
dumb question but what is LOC or does it stand for?

Old 10-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Loc is a line output converter...basically used for hooking an amp up using the high level signal from a factory deck and converting it to a low level signal

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.83 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Add a sub to your Bose equipped G35 Coupe