Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

All I get is static w/ Sirius

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 12:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry All I get is static w/ Sirius

Ok - just installed the Z1 (well, hubby did) on my '03 sedan, and everything is working peachy keen except for my Sirius. All we get is static. We have the PNR-1 installed. Went and bought a PNR-2, still, same issue. Tried switching the attenae from our other vehicles, nothing. It seems that there is a connection, as we get the "acquiring signal" message, as well as being able to channel surf and see the song name, etc. The attenae was tried in both inside on the rear dash, and outside on the back window. Tried calling Sirius, they tell me it's the HU. I just paid $2200 for my set up, it better not be my HU. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 06-11-2006, 01:55 AM
A little More Info

This is the husband that was the lucky recipient of the installation task.

After spending about 7 hours in the garage with the wifes new car - the install was completed. As she said - all looks and works great with exception to the sirius. Here are some facts on the sirius.

It's installed under the passenger seat and tapped into the power seats for it's 12v source and ground. Tested with a multimeter - getting just shy of 13 volts. So voltage is not an issue. Grounded to the battery directly - and that didn't help. Pulled the dash down on the drivers side - wedged my hand behind the deck and although it's cramped - the sirius cable is firmly seated.

We've tried two sirius units and both give the same results - no sound. Everything else works fine. And as the wife stated - we can see the channled #'s and names and even song titles - but no sound...

Are we missing something simple or should the sirius just "work" once you plug it in and activate it? We have it in both of our other cars (Kenwood setups) and it's been a simple plug n play. Just wondering if there's something special we need to do to the AVIC Z1 in order for this to work - or if our head unit is bunk.

Last hope for us here is to pull the entire dash apart again and slave in another cable... Just in case it was damaged during install or from the manufacturer. If that doesn't do it - I guess we send our 1600.00 stereo off for repair / replacement. That'll suck!!

So please - if anyone has any info on this type of issue - please let us know...

Thanks
Sncboom2k

Old 06-11-2006, 09:53 AM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
where is your antenna located?
is it plugged all the way into the box?
i get a little static sometimes cause my antenna hides behind 30% tint, but it only seems to happen when im under trees or some thing like that.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by grfxdesigner
This is the husband that was the lucky recipient of the installation task.

After spending about 7 hours in the garage with the wifes new car - the install was completed. As she said - all looks and works great with exception to the sirius. Here are some facts on the sirius.

It's installed under the passenger seat and tapped into the power seats for it's 12v source and ground. Tested with a multimeter - getting just shy of 13 volts. So voltage is not an issue. Grounded to the battery directly - and that didn't help. Pulled the dash down on the drivers side - wedged my hand behind the deck and although it's cramped - the sirius cable is firmly seated.

We've tried two sirius units and both give the same results - no sound. Everything else works fine. And as the wife stated - we can see the channled #'s and names and even song titles - but no sound...

Are we missing something simple or should the sirius just "work" once you plug it in and activate it? We have it in both of our other cars (Kenwood setups) and it's been a simple plug n play. Just wondering if there's something special we need to do to the AVIC Z1 in order for this to work - or if our head unit is bunk.

Last hope for us here is to pull the entire dash apart again and slave in another cable... Just in case it was damaged during install or from the manufacturer. If that doesn't do it - I guess we send our 1600.00 stereo off for repair / replacement. That'll suck!!

So please - if anyone has any info on this type of issue - please let us know...

Thanks
Sncboom2k
If you can see the channel numbers and other information the Sirius receiver is working fine. It's when the "acquiring signal" message is given, it indicates a problem with reception. Since the head unit is actually displaying info from the sirius receiver, you can assume the connection is good.

Since there is no sound, lets work on that and three things come to mind. The head unit is either not processing the digital signal or the head unit is not set up to send the sound to the correct set of speakers and lastly the cable is not sending the digital signal (highly unlikey as everything else seems to work) There may be the ability for the head unit to send the sound to a front set of speakers and rear. (mine does dual zone) I would concentrate my efforts on the troubleshooting the head unit.

I know this doesn't help much but I don't have all the info either. Call the head unit's manufacture and see if they have a suggestion.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Cool My Own Stupidity

Thank you all who posted - but here was the culprit...

The cabel has a blue and a black end. I did not pay attention to this when I installed the cable to the deck. So on the PNR end - I had a blue connection. This was backwards. I simply moved the IN connection to the OUT connection and all is well.... Emergency over, problem solved, stupidity identified...

Thanks again all...

Sncboom2k
(For Grfxdesigner)