Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

stuck while doing the "big 3"...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 11:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stuck while doing the "big 3"...

I attempted to do the big 3 upgrade today... but ran into some trouble. The only thing i was successful at was replacing the factory ground to a 4guage. I noticed that the chassis where the factory ground wire that was screwed onto was on painted metal. Is this ok? I thought it has to be bare metal for a good ground?

However when i got to the positive side of the battery posts. That's when i started to freak... there were these 2 wires coming from the back into a "Y" back down to wherevere I don't know. It looks as though it was attached by some harnesses into this plastic thing which then screwed onto the battery's terminals. I was too scared to mess with it so i left that alone...

I know there's 2 wires left I need to do... the engine to chassis and the alternator to + on my battery...

can someone please post a DIY with pictures so that i know where everything is? Also does anyone know what guage wire is used for the factory alternator to +, and engine to chassis? I also plan on upgrading those to 4guage as well...

Old 08-16-2006, 01:55 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
yup...i tried doing this as well, but our alternator is not easy to get to.

just upgraded the factory ground to 4 ga as well, more for peace of mind than anything.

i sanded down that area with a dremel before i put everything back.

comparing widths, i wouldn't be suprised if our factory ground is 4 ga.

good luck. i don't think many people here even know what the "big 3" is, let alone have done this mod.

Old 08-16-2006, 02:38 AM
ok, i will do the same again tomorrow, unscrew my factory ground, and sand down that area to the bare metal and rescrew back on...

also it seems to me that the alternator cable to (+) on the battery is already 4guage... seems about that thickness. I could be wrong... i hope i'm right, that would save me a lot of time and trouble...

does anyone here happen to know where the engine to chassis ground wire is? I hope this is already 4guage as well... but if not, i am hoping that it won't be too difficult to change out...

Old 08-16-2006, 07:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have done the Big 3 successfully. The alternator to positive post is hard to get to, but possible. That wire is about 4 AWG, but not very good quality wire. Here is a pic of a grounding kit. The wire all the way to the left is one choice you can use for engine to chasis. I would probably connect it from the front of the engine (where all of the other wires are connected here) to the strut tower shown in the picture. Unless of course you plan on doing the whole grounding kit.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by khsonic03
I have done the Big 3 successfully. The alternator to positive post is hard to get to, but possible. That wire is about 4 AWG, but not very good quality wire. Here is a pic of a grounding kit. The wire all the way to the left is one choice you can use for engine to chasis. I would probably connect it from the front of the engine (where all of the other wires are connected here) to the strut tower shown in the picture. Unless of course you plan on doing the whole grounding kit.
I think you got too excited and forgot the pic

Old 08-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah....what is the "big 3"?

doc

Old 08-16-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by amthar
I think you got too excited and forgot the pic

LOL, yeah I guess so. I don't have it here at work, so I'll have to repost tonight. I'm a fool.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:25 AM
This will work. Use this link in conjunction with my previous post to understand what I was referring to.

https://g35driver.com/forums/attachm...2&d=1152215278

Old 08-16-2006, 10:27 AM
There is another spot as well, but I would have to look at my engine to remember exactly where it is.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:25 AM
so it looks like the wires for gordgee's grounding kit has the wire to replace the factory ground and the engine to chassis...

so it has 2 out of 3 from the big 3, am i right?

and i also notice from that picture that the battery is grounded at a different location than the factory one, is the location in the picture you showed me better?

Old 08-16-2006, 12:04 PM
here's a modified picture i did to pinpoint the locations ofr those of you interested in doing thie Big 3 upgrade... If you already have gordgee's grounding kit then you most likely have it done, except for the alternator to (+) wire...

Attached Thumbnails stuck while doing the "big 3"...-big3.jpg  
Old 08-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by nyckid
here's a modified picture i did to pinpoint the locations ofr those of you interested in doing thie Big 3 upgrade... If you already have gordgee's grounding kit then you most likely have it done, except for the alternator to (+) wire...
I don't see the Negative post to chassis ground either on gordgees kit in your pic. That one is also very important

Old 08-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many Many Many people here have no idea what the Big 3 is in fact many alternator, car audio, and other automotive professionals have no idea what the Big 3 are. Our alternators suck, they only put out 110A and with all our electrical components that sucks a$$. I haven't upgraded my Big3 but i really need to, if someone does end up making a DIY with pictures man would that be greatly appreciated by all.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khsonic03
This will work. Use this link in conjunction with my previous post to understand what I was referring to.

https://g35driver.com/forums/attachm...2&d=1152215278
Why do you need to add all those grounds? I am sure this is answered somewhere, but I am just starting my "research" on the point of grounding kits.