Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does replacing HU improve the sound?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does replacing HU improve the sound?

Need help. I don't know much regard to sound. I recently replaced my front with DLS UP6 2-Way Component System 6.5" and 2 6x9 rear with MQ quart. Added 2 10" sub (Sony) with two amps. My sound still sound like sh$#$#$. Not liking it. Professornal installed.

Do I need to change my HU to get better sound? I need more high pitch sound.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:34 PM
How was the speaker amp installed? If they used an PAC off of the factory amp, then it's gonna sound like shiz. If they took the signal from the HU before before the fctory amp, it should sound much better than stock, but still have a little room for improvement.

JH

Old 09-26-2006, 04:25 PM
I would get rid of the 6x9s as they become extraneous with the 2 10" subs you added. Instead, remove the 6x9s, keep the grilles in place and use them to vent the sub into the cabin. As Ivory056MT says, you should also check if the line out of the HU is being boosted/cleaned with a LOC or if your amp can properly handle and condition the signal directly from the HU. If you need more highs, check the amp settings and your crossovers to see if the tweets have been tuned down. Most crossovers allow you to selectively set the dB +/- on the tweets to suit your tastes. If your sound still sounds like crap, make sure the amps for your speakers and subs are sized properly. If so, make sure the amps are professionally tuned to your musical tastes and the gains set properly. If you still hear noise or distortion, you need to check your speakers for defects, make sure you are using good quality and shielded speaker wires/cables, and that the amps are functioning properly. If you have rattles and buzzes ruining your sound, you need more sound dampening.

Ideally, you should have a front soundstage near eye level as you look straight in front of you. There will be a bit of time correction issues because you are sitting on the left and are closer to the left speaker. Most aftermarket HUs have time correction features to compensate for this, but I have heard mixed reviews from installers. Most systems use a feedback mechanism using a microphone to fine tune the time correction algorithm, others can be statically set.

If you have a good set of comps up front, the midbass will be powerful enough to pump out some crips tight bass beats while the subs handle the looser and lower bass notes below 60hz. The tweets should be crisp and powerful with strong highs, but not too bright as to rip your ear off. Most prefer a softer high-end finish to mellow out the harsher instruments and voices. IMO, I would place the front components speakers as the defining piece to any car audio install, if they suck, it all sucks.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:20 AM
If you read the stickys and other posts on this forum, u will find that some ppl say you can actaully get a pretty good sounding system with the stock HU assuming u buy a really good set of front comps and a pretty decent sized amp.

Anyways, i had the bose and used the stock HU, replaced speakers w/ UP6 while using only 2 channels of my DLS RA40 since i was going to use the other 2 channels for the rear coaxials. My gains were set pretty high but the sys didnt have the "kick" i was looking for. I didnt feel as if the system was much better than the stock bose, maybe because i didnt have it tuned right? and maybe because of my amateur installation work?

But since then i got the pioneer dvd 6800 and had my RA40 Bi-amped to the up6's. It was night and day.

Seriously, i really really really was against getting a new HU, i liked the stock look, wanted everything to look stock w/ a nice sound. But boy, do i love the new dvd HU and the sound i get from my system now. Trust me, u'll love it, swap the stock HU out!

I wonder if you upgraded to the DLS Iridiums and kept the stock HU, would you get the sound you're looking for? Btw, what amps are you using?

Old 10-20-2006, 05:11 PM
look into the new Rockford 3sixty.1 or .2- will allow you to keep factory headunit but allows you full control of your system. www.rockfordfosgate.com

6-channel high-level input

6-channel RCA level inputs (FR/FL/RR/RL/Center/Sub)

Independent 31-band EQ for Front Left and Front Right

Independent 27-band EQ for Rear Left and Rear Right

27-band EQ for Center

10-band subwoofer equalizer

6-channel HP/LP/BP/AP adjustable crossover

Up to 5 feet of delay per channel in 2 inch increments

Auxiliary RCA input with 31-band adjustable eq

Auto equalization with auto sum capability

Digital Signal Processor with OEM integration capabilities (patent pending)

Remote programmable master volume/aux volume control

Wireless Bluetooth®

Old 10-20-2006, 06:58 PM
I just changed out my HU with the pioneer z1 and running a four channel fosgate 450.4. Sound is amazing. Of course you should change out your internals as well. Fosgate components and pioneer mids and rear plus a 10inch jl 10w3. i am loving it right now.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:59 PM
i think HU makes a big difference..

Trending Topics

Old 10-20-2006, 10:15 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I never listened to DLS speakers, but I have bottom of the range MB Quarts up front working off stock headunit and I am very happy with the sound with a LOT of very clean and crisp highs(I did have custom installs in the past, so I can compare). Bass and treble always set at "0".
I would try switching + and - on one of the front speaker channels on amp and play around with amp gain. If you want more highs, consider changing to hard dome tweeter. DLS comes with soft dome, which generally sound softer, but may lack "pitch"