Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Navi turned out to be more than a toy...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2003 | 06:24 AM
|
Navi turned out to be more than a toy...

I was in Vegas this weekend when the firestorms hit Southern California over the weekend. The fires closed the main fwy from Vegas back to San Diego and LA (15S).

Where the freeway was closed was an area I've never even heard of let alone driven through before. As I exited the freeway the Navi presented a since of security since I was able to listen to the radio, figure out which alternate routes were still open, and then plot a different route back to San Diego.

As I drove through the middle of the Mojave desert, I didn't need to try and guess when my turn was coming up and I never had that sinking feeling that I might have missed a turn. The Navi was a tremendous source of security in an uncertain time.

I wasn't a big fan of the Navi before but I took the advice of some of the people on the G forums and bought it even though I didn't think I'd ever really use it...I'm a big fan of the Navi now...

<font color=blue>Twilight Blue/Willow, Nav, Aero, 6MT, Clearbra, Tint, Sirius...</font color=blue>

Old 10-27-2003 | 08:16 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Re: Navi turned out to be more than a toy...

I ended up "downtown" a couple of times where normally I'd be worried. I just clicked my heels and told the nav to take me home.

Russ

Black w/willow, 6MT Coupe, nav, aero, V1, PS2, & TVs all up in the headrests.
Jax, FL

Old 10-27-2003 | 08:38 AM

I think the NAVI is very useful, I know some people will not pay the extra money but it only takes one incident where you wish you have it and that alone pays for itself, have you guys watch the movie "Wrong Turn"? LOL

Old 10-27-2003 | 09:00 AM
G SQUAD

Nav is great. I do on the road sales so I use it all of the time. It saves me soooo much time. I hate map quest and all that other stuff. It's amazing how relieving it is to not have to think about your next turn. Best option I could have got hands down!!

Old 10-27-2003 | 10:17 AM

I have to hit the road for my job sometimes too. On one recent series of trips where my passenger side seat was almost completely covered with mapquest printouts is when I decided to order my g with navi...

Old 10-27-2003 | 11:04 AM
Deep Sea Moderator

Haven't watched that one yet but now that my nav is playing movies it's only a matter of time.

Russ

Black w/willow, 6MT Coupe, nav, aero, V1, PS2, & TVs all up in the headrests.
Jax, FL

Old 10-27-2003 | 12:58 PM

Especially lately with the MTA strikes, I always use my Navi to find alternate routes off the 5/101 in the morning. I can't remember all the shortcuts through downtown, so the Navi is totally worth it.

Mike

2003 6MT Coupe Black/Graphite/Prem./Nav/Aero
1994 MR2 Turbo 5MT Black/Prem.

Old 10-27-2003 | 01:37 PM
|

What will be nice is one day when they integrate traffic routing into Navi systems (I've read it's under development by a few vendors). There are websites that show the real-time speeds and sigalerts in specific areas. The navi would just need a way to receive and then integrate this data into the routing ( http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist11/d11tmc/sdmap/mapmain.html )

If there are major accidents (or fires) those areas could be avoided and an alternate route automatically calculated...

<font color=blue>Twilight Blue/Willow, Nav, Aero, 6MT, Clearbra, Tint, Sirius...</font color=blue>

Old 10-27-2003 | 02:00 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

It sounds like it would be relatively simple enought o figure out... Get the speed/direction of other vehicles with a nax TX and then say "oh look, a whole bunch are stopped on the interstate.. route around it". But then again, easier said than done.

I personally love Sal (my nav). Gets me everywhere without a problem. I'm moving out to Vegas in a month or so, so it's REALLY going to come in handy in a new town.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 10-27-2003 | 02:41 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I personally love Sal (my nav). Gets me everywhere without a problem.

<hr></blockquote>

You have a "pet name" for your nav system?

Old 10-27-2003 | 02:52 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin

Yep! A friend named her on my way to Florida. Loooong story about how it got the name. My friend wanted to make sure he had someone to thank when he was told where to stop for food and gas, how to get to a hotel, etc. And my car's name is PJ [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Nothing wrong with throwin' some love at the G [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 10-27-2003 | 03:11 PM

That was nasty eh? I was stuck in that too - took us about 8 hours to get home. Did you end up driving down the 247 to the 62...

But I was in my Suburban w/ the Alpine DVDrom Nav. I was getting frustrated with my Nav because it routed away from the 15 fine - but wouldn't let me detour the 18 until I finally made a left past it. I wish we had more route management like that in the G's...

I can't really imagine the trip in the Coupe - that would make me want to do the DVD input to the Nav monitor. We watched 2 movies while in traffic... Didn't need much navigation in stop and go one lane road with no exits... at 5 mph :-S

G35 Coupe / Premium / Nav
Ivory Pearl / Willow Leather
SSR GT3 19"s w/ Bridgestone SO-3

Old 10-27-2003 | 03:34 PM
|

I went on a westerly route and took the 138W and then took the 14fwy through Palmdale to the 5 South. That route turned out to be a pretty decent alternative. Once I got off 15 freeway it was fairly smooth sailing the rest of the way via that route. I called a couple of friends that went the same way that you did and they were inching along on the 247 so they turned around and followed my route.

It was a little bit of a pain getting the Nav to give up the preferred route (via 15fwy) but once I set a waypoint in Palmdale the Nav then set the west heading and then routed to San Diego from there so it worked just fine. It still took me about 7 hours to drive home...

Old 12-09-2003 | 12:12 PM
English dude, English

My 2003.5 doesn't have Nav. Is it possible to buy the factory setup and have it installed?

Old 12-09-2003 | 08:12 PM

Nope. You will have to install an aftermarket unit. Price to retrofit the g for the o.e. nav is about $6300 plus installation which is NOT covered by the Infiniti warranty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Navi turned out to be more than a toy...