Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Clock light not working...help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clock light not working...help

I just got a pioneer z1 installed the other day but the installer has to go back in for the steering wheel adapter.

After installation I noticed the next night that my clock light doesn't come on. The clock still keeps time but if you cant see it...what good is it?

Does anyone know about the electronics for the clock? I am thinking that maybe the installer forgot to plug it back in?

Old 12-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Could be a burnt bulb. Very easy to fix when you take the clock out.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The bulbs from Infiniti are expensive cheap lights and are easily broken. Replace with LED's ASAP.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The dealer replaced my burned out clock light under warranty.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by erdog
The bulbs from Infiniti are expensive cheap lights and are easily broken. Replace with LED's ASAP.
DIY guide ??

Old 12-05-2006, 11:56 PM
I was going to but it was my first time doing it and I was learning along the way. Here is a DIY guide by Ron Chung but you have to open this up in Internet Explorer as it is a Powerpoint: http://g35.ronchung.com/

But he doesn't tell you what kind of LED to get and what resistor to buy. And he uses an additional diode but I thought that was useless as as LED is a diode (Light Emitting Diode). Here's a guide to working with LED's: http://www.leesspace.com/LEDs.htm

Basically, you need to solder a resistor onto the positive side of the LED. As there are hundreds of different LEDs out there I can't for sure tell you what resistor and what LED to get. I bought two 5mm, 30mA (forward current), 5V, 10,000 mcd (intensity) white LEDs and connected each to a 0.25 watt 200 Ohm resistor. I soldered it on kinda like in Ron Chung's photos but without the diode. Make sure that when you connect the bulb back to the clock that you connect positive to positive. For my clock, the positive was the bottom right copper contact on back of the clock, and connect that to the positive (with resistor) side of the LED.

Now with that long explanation, there is an easier way which is to buy a 12V resistor LED from somewhere like: http://www.eled.com/category.asp?cat...12V+LED&Page=1
Then you won't need a resistor since it is built in. But they only have Red, Green, and Yellow in those.

If I was to do this all over, I would try inverted cone LED's to spread the light out more. Well enjoy. Don't blow up anyone, hahaha. J/K.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:25 AM
wow...just the information I needed. Not sure if I will go LED or replace stock bulb...but at least I know how :-)

Thanks guys!!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:13 PM
old thread with useful information. THANKS!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:51 PM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
http://www.superbrightleds.com/instrument.html

NeoWedge 4mm is a perfect replacement. no need to solder anything

Old 05-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Check out this thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/lightin...ent-guide.html

Get the "30% brighter than regular Neo - Wedge LED Instrument Panel Bulbs," near the bottom of the page - http://autolumination.com/74.htm

Old 05-04-2009, 12:38 AM
which one actually matches the stock bulbs? the regular neo wedges or the 30% brigther neo wedges? im thinking of getting the ambers to match the dash. Let me know!

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WTFisJUICE?
which one actually matches the stock bulbs? the regular neo wedges or the 30% brigther neo wedges? im thinking of getting the ambers to match the dash. Let me know!

Thanks!
Both have the same base as the stock bulb and will fit perfect.

I got the white 30% brighter than regular and I am very happy with the results. It really sets off the dash.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:18 AM
thanks chris. did you buy the twist bases too?

im about to order them now.

thanks!

Old 05-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Anybody have any pics of their clock that doesn't have the stock amber lights? One of my bulbs recently went out so I bought one from the dealer, luckily they only charged me $8 and some change. So I went to swap out the defective one and then the other goes out...wtf? Yes I did check, I swapped in all 3 bulbs and sure enough 2 were dead. So I figured if they're going to be this finicky I'll just get some cheap bulbs referenced in this thread. I'm just interested in seeing what the other colors look like...maybe something non-stock will look good with my new aftermarket DD head unit.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:28 AM
hi fellas
in case of this thread

Get the "30% brighter than regular Neo - Wedge LED Instrument Panel Bulbs," near the bottom of the page - http://autolumination.com/74.htm

can anyone just tell me wich tybe should i order for my 2003 g35 coupe .. there are 3 tybes with different sizes
please help ..
thanx

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clock light not working...help