Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Factory iPod Integration Successful...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2009 | 01:46 PM
Fair enough. Removing the head unit doesn't sound easy, so I should be looking for radio head unit removal instructions. Or is it much simpler than it appears? Then, since I have the satellite cable, I plug it into the back of the radio, and figure out a way to route it back to the trunk, since it appears to be long enough to go all the way back. This also doesn't sound simple. Or, can I skip the Sat. cable routing, and just plug in the ipod adapter cable into the back of the radio?

Old 09-20-2009 | 04:39 PM
i got an 07 coupe with the bose 6 cd changer any idea on how to integrate the i pod control for it without having to change the head unit ? how bout some subs as well ?

Old 09-30-2009 | 01:23 PM
Hi guys, I did a fair amount of searching but couldn't find answers to a few question.

I think I'm going to go with the Factory iPod adapter - http://www.g35parts.com/G35-iPod-Fac...999u7-ipod.htm. I don't like the PAC or the other one because: 1. Painful HU disassembly 2. No song/tag info of any kind (factory's got it's problems but at least it's something) 3. Steering wheel controls

Is there something I'm missing? Has anyone tried both Factory and PAC ones? Any difference in sound quality or volume (they're not just a simple wires to AUX).

Also, is $190 at everythingg35 the bottom price or any other place has them (group buy, anyone has one for sale etc..)? Thanks!

Old 09-30-2009 | 02:34 PM
Alright guys I have an 03' Coupe 6mt with bose system that has the sat button but is not pre wired and this is what I did. First off, removing the head unit is a piece of cake, I dont have any experience in that stuff and I just followed a write up on it, so don't be afraid to do it yourself! Then I bought the pac AAI-NIS2 and the harman kardon drive + play. I paid like $110 for both. I can only control the volume through the steering wheel but I have the little kool **** to control the ipod. It was simple to install everything and for $110 I'm very happy with it.

Old 09-30-2009 | 05:17 PM
Looks like USA Spec steering wheel controls work (from reviews I've read). Can someone confirm whether steering wheel next/prev track button works on PAC? PAC AAI-NIS2 is selling for $66 on Amazon..

Old 03-10-2010 | 06:01 PM
After reading this and other threads, I decided to install the Factory iPod adapter on my recently purchased 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT equipped with dealer-installed Sirius Sat radio. Since I haven't seen many descriptions of the installation when the SAT box is already installed, here it goes.
I ordered the kit from http://www.g35parts.com/G35-iPod-Fac...999u7-ipod.htm along with the optional harness VS001 to connect to the SAT receiver.
I mostly followed the instructions in https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...6mt-coupe.html, with the following differences:
1) After removing the plastic cover in the trunk, protecting the Bose amp, Bluetooth, RAS drivers and Sirius box, disconnect the white connector from the Sirius box and connect it to the iPod adapter.
2) Connect the VS001 harness to the second port in the Ipod adapter and to where the white connector was plugged into in the Sirius box.
3) Connect the ground cable to for instance the 10 MM screw that held the plastic cover in place, connect the iPod to the adapter and check that everything works as expected. Try disconnecting the iPod, after 3 seconds or so, the SAT radio will come back on the
station you were listening too. If not, something is wrong.
4) Disconnect the harnesses from the iPod adapter and route the cables along the driver's side of the trunk to underneath the center of the backseat. You will have to remove the backseat bottom to pull the connectors through. That's easy to do by pulling the passenger side cushion up and toward the rear with both hands and then doing the same to the driver's side cushion. The whole backseat bottom comes off at that point.
5) Unclip the two clips holding the plastic rear center console to the backseat bottom using a wide flat screwdriver. Now you can install the iPod adapter box as in the link above and connect both harnesses. I actually connected the ground to one of the two 12 MM screws found underneath the backseat instead of to the seat belt anchor point.
6) Routing the iPod cable under the carpet is as hard as everyone mentions. I used pieces of a wire hanger from Walmart to get from the center front of the backseat to the small opening underneath the center console, accessible if you remove the rear ashtray. Folded the front tip of the wire into a ring before forcing it under the carpet and when it showed up in the small opening, fished it with another piece of wire bent like a hook. There was no need to cut the carpet inside the center console. I then routed the DIN connector end of the iPod cable from the center console to the backseat . At this point, I tested all connections were working, used the provided stickers to secure the iPod adapter in place and put back the back seat and rear console cover. Everything snapped into place without problems.
7) I did not drill the center console, but routed the cable on the outside of the passenger side through an opening already under the console lid (probably there so that cables can connect to the 12 V adapter inside the console while the lid stays shut). The cable is invisible unless the front seat is fully moved forward. You can either connect the iPod to the cable and leave it inside the center console or fold the cable so that the connector is outside the console and the iPod rests on top of the small drawer compartment.

As I was treading carefully not to damage the car's interior and trying to make sure not to get any rattles from cables or modules, the installation took 3 hours and a half.
I'm using the adapter with an iPhone 2G which charges when connected. It also connects to Bluetooth fine and mutes the music when making/receiving calls. If you like to random play songs from a playlist, it's easier to set it up on the iPhone before connecting. Using the steering wheel to skip to the next song (hold Track button 1.5 seconds) works fine. In this way the playing song does not reset to the first one every time the car is started, as I've seen reported elsewhere.

Anyway, hope this helps or reassures someone looking to do the same mod to their G.

Old 03-29-2010 | 09:21 PM
subbing

Old 05-07-2010 | 07:30 AM
gck
pics?

Old 05-07-2010 | 10:51 AM
Unfortunately I did not take any, but the links in my post above have all the necessary pics to get you going.

Old 07-17-2010 | 09:19 AM
I just did this install yesterday - it took all of 5 minutes - and one minute of that was me standing there thinking "it can't be that easy".

I did a trunk install only - unlike when this thread started, IPods are now a dime a dozen, so I just used an old G3. Since this unit has full control of the IPod from the head unit, this makes it just like having a hard drive in your head unit and there is no need to ever touch the IPod.

The install instructions on Everything G35 and other sites make it look a lot harder than it really is - even if you were to run the cable to the front.

At least for my 2005 Coupe the procedure was:

1. Take out the carpet and tire cover
2. Remove 10mm nut to the left of the spare
3. Take out plastic cover the nut was holding in.
4. Remove 10mm nut from the stand holding the Bose amp
5. Connect ground wire and put the nut back on
6. Connect the AUX cable and IPod cable
7. Tie wrap IPod adapter to the Bose stand
8. Put plastic cover, bolt, carpet back in
9. Slapped some velcro to the back of my old IPod and put it on the trunk wall, connected cable

Really, really easy.

After having owned a 300ZX for 14 years and taking the dash apart many times, I was REALLY dreading doing it. This was SO much easier and the head unit integration is very powerful. Well worth the extra $$ vs. the other solutions.

Thanks to the OP!

xnappo

P.S. If you like shuffle, you will definitely want to make a 'random' smart playlist...

Last edited by xnappo; 07-17-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-17-2010 | 10:02 AM
I've recently upgraded my iPhone 2G to an iPhone 4 and there are some changes in behavior with the factory iPod integration kit that may be interesting to others. As reported for the iPhone 3G and 3GS, it won't charge anymore when connected as the iPhone 4 needs 5V power to charge, whereas the kit will only provide the 12V used by the iPhone 2G. Smallest adapter I could find was from Ridax http://www.welcome.to/ridax (first one on the left of the page for $24.90).
I don't always connect it but keep it in the car in case the iPhone charge is running low.
The other problem is that the trick of setting shuffle over all songs on the iPhone before connecting does not work on the iPhone 4. So to play songs in shuffle mode I now need to click down twice on the rocker button to the right of the screen in the head unit till "Setup" is displayed, click up on the left rocker button, click down on the right again seven (?) times until "Rdm List" is displayed and click up on the left once more. You need to do this every time you connect the phone or start the car.
xnappo's suggestion above of using smart playlist sounds like a much better solution, have to try that...
Finally, if you get a bumper case for the iPhone 4, it is incompatible with just about every third party accessory out there, so I made two cuts in the plastic at the bottom between the connector and the speaker/mic holes that fixed it. I Used an x-acto knife, but you can probably do a better job with a dremel... Of course you'll have to remove the bumper to connect the Ridax converter, but I haven't run low on charge yet while in the car.

The following users liked this post:
wicked1G35 (01-23-2012)
Old 07-17-2010 | 11:28 AM
I'm supposed to receive my pre-ordered iPhone 4 in the next few days...thanks for the heads up.

Old 07-17-2010 | 12:51 PM
Don't forget to sign up for a free bumper on Apple's website next week. I'm hoping to get a refund for mine. It does help with the "Death Grip" issue or non-issue, as Apple would have it.

Old 08-02-2010 | 10:20 PM
ok i have a 03 sedan with SAT button but no satellite radio and i have an iphone 3gs, I've been reading i want to go with the factory kit that installs in the trunk "i think" someone said i have to buy an adapter to charge my phone as well? What im confused about is 1) Do i get full controls "volume and next track" 2) do i need an adapter to charge my 3gs? 3) will it display info on my head unit even if i using the newest iso4 firmware. Thanks guys! any info will help.

Old 08-02-2010 | 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by GOAT35
ok i have a 03 sedan with SAT button but no satellite radio and i have an iphone 3gs, I've been reading i want to go with the factory kit that installs in the trunk "i think" someone said i have to buy an adapter to charge my phone as well? What im confused about is 1) Do i get full controls "volume and next track" 2) do i need an adapter to charge my 3gs? 3) will it display info on my head unit even if i using the newest iso4 firmware. Thanks guys! any info will help.
not too sure about the sedan but in my 04 coupe only the volume works on the wheel so I have to use the HU to change tracks and for the charging I believe you'll need the adapter here's a link for it but get it at the apple store as best buy never has any.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Scosche+...pter&cp=1&lp=3

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Factory iPod Integration Successful...