Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Clear Flashing Airbag Warning Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 04:15 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clear Flashing Airbag Warning Light

After installing an FM Modulator in my G35, I mistakenly turned the car on to test it out while the panels were still off and the airbag light started flashing cause the airbag cable on the passenger side was still disconnected. My dealer wanted to charge me $90 just to clear the code, which I refused purely out of spite cause I just bought the car from them 2 weeks prior.

After about 3 months of searching I finally found out how to reset the light and the clear the SRS diagnostic codes. This will only work if the airbag warning light is blinking on and off in a steady fashion and will only work if there is not currently a problem with the system and of course you should have a dealer look at it if you dont know the cause of the problem.

To reset the light simply turn the iginition to the on position, (you dont need to start it). All the lights should stay on for thier diagnostic check. As soon as the airbag light goes off, before it starts flashing, immeditatly turn the car off. Repeat this 3 or 4 times (turning to on then off) and the light should go away. Bam! saved yourself $90.

The following users liked this post:
charleswinters (07-08-2012)
Old 11-28-2003, 04:23 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Clear Flashing Airbag Warning Light

Thanks G_of_C, I've copied and pasted to our DIY forum for a permanent record.
This has happened to a few here at G35Driver.
-------
I take it your dealer isn't very understanding and willing to extend a friendly hand....[img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 11-28-2003, 05:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Clear Flashing Airbag Warning Light

I used that method as well when the damn alarm installer blew my airbag. After they replaced the airbag they told me that I would have to take it to the dealership and have it reset for a charge $$$. Thank God for this forum as someone on here already posted this method and it worked like a charm. It took three tries and the light stayed off.

Silverstone 6MT Maya DTM 20's

Old 10-30-2005, 08:38 AM
FS: OEM 18" W-n-T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, the fix worked great and so does my just installed TVandNAV2Go piece. I high recommennd the TVandNAV2Go mod for any Nav equipped G35.

Old 04-07-2006, 05:50 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After installing my Kpierson auto lock/unlock module (had to unplug wiring harness and tap into the speed wire behind the clock) Airbag light started flashing. I cleared it using this method and it cleared it fine. Now 1 week later (exactly) the light came on again. I cleared it and now it is off but anyone have a reason or solution for this. I guess I will have to see if it come on again in another week! Any help would be great

Old 04-08-2006, 03:32 AM
Originally Posted by vrsc
After installing my Kpierson auto lock/unlock module (had to unplug wiring harness and tap into the speed wire behind the clock) Airbag light started flashing. I cleared it using this method and it cleared it fine. Now 1 week later (exactly) the light came on again. I cleared it and now it is off but anyone have a reason or solution for this. I guess I will have to see if it come on again in another week! Any help would be great
did you disconnect a yellow (SRS) harness at all and turn the ignition to ACC position? if not, are you certain all disconnected yellow harnesses were reconnected? in any case i would be a bit leary of this as i had the same condition after testing my dual a/c controller led light soldering job during my double din conversion and it cleared it just fine. it has been 3+ weeks now and it has remained off. if everything is connected correctly and nothing has been done in the interim- you should not be getting this light.

also what is not mentioned in above posts is that if that SRS light is blinking- none of your SRS (airbags & curtains) will activate during an "incident"- the SRS unit fails off!

Old 04-08-2006, 12:32 PM
I don't know where the yellow (SRS) harness is (or if I disconnected it) but the only thing that was unplugged was the wiring harness that controls the clock and such (see photos). While this harness was unplugged, I did accidentally start the car, hench the reason the airbag flashing started. I reset it it using this DYI and light light went away. Now my clock and everything alse works fine so the harness must be plugged in fine.

Where is the yellow (SRS) harness located? Is it inside the wiring harness that is connected in the pictures?

Attached Thumbnails Clear Flashing Airbag Warning Light-wiring-harness.jpg   Clear Flashing Airbag Warning Light-wiring-harness2.jpg  
Old 04-08-2006, 01:35 PM
the yellow harnesses are throughout the car that lead to various control and sensor points- in several dash areas, under the seats and behind column and rear seat finishing panels to name a few spots. it doesn't look like you came into contact with one from the pics you took and turning on the ignition without one of the SRS harnesses disconnected should have not triggered the warning light. since the harnesses are well connected i doubt you accidentally unplugged one and if one was still disconnected the SRS warning light would have come back on instantly and not delayed for a week.

if the light reappears- definitely have it serviced.

Old 04-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks, So why does everyone have the airbag light flash whenever they disconnect this harness and start the car? I wish I could get info/diagram to where all these SRS harnesses are.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:07 PM
the SRS system differentiates a communication failure with a service disconnect by the method in which you shut off and reapply system power. in order to do a service disconnect you need to turn ACC to the off position, the service manual recommends disconnecting both pos AND neg battery cables (and also waiting at least 3 minutes with both cables off before doing any service on the SRS- yellow harness included- or the SRS could deploy), do the SRS maintenance (which may involve disconnecting a SRS cable) and all the time keep power OFF until ALL SRS harnesses are reconnected. if power is applied before all harnesses are reconnected the SRS enters diag mode and now because a yellow harness is disconnected- identifies a communication failure with one of the SRS components. it stays in that mode until a service tech (or you) returns it back to user mode.

a couple of things- be certain all yellow harnesses are reconnected. did you remove any dash components other than ones in the pic, or did you remove either seat to gain better access? i still doubt this is the case since the SRS light would be blinking instantly if anything was still disconnected.

also, the diag mode can be re-entered by following the procedure described above by godofcpu to have it enter into user mode. this is a cycle able process and this may be a stupid ?, but you did not redo the procedure with the SRS light off? if so, it would cycle the monitoring system back into diag mode.

by the way, for the **** crew, here is the exact procedure:

1.) turn ignition switch from OFF to ON.
2.) air bag warning lamp is on for 7 seconds and turns off, then turn ignition switch OFF within 1 second after the lamp turns off.
3.) after ignition switch is turned OFF, wait for more than 3 seconds.
4.) repeat steps 1 to 3 twice. (perform 3 times total.)
5.) turn ignition switch ON. (self-diagnostic mode turns to Diagnosis mode.)

to cycle the system from Diagnosis mode to User mode- repeat the above sequence exactly.

if none above offers a remedy- definitely have it looked at.

Old 04-30-2006, 10:36 PM
THANKS guys for the heads up. I had removed my seats and forgot to disconnect the battery so thanks for saving me some $

Old 07-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Thanks, this came in handy today. I was messing around with a pac swi-x and forgot that i had unplugged the pass side airbag.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:55 AM
Dealer is obliged to check the light and provide a diagnosis for free on SRS system problems. I forget how long but it is at least 5 years if not like 8.
This is a federal requirement for safety reasons.
You are not obliged to have them fix it, but they have to look at it and tell you the code. Best thing to do is not tell them how you got the light, have them turn it off and if it comes back you will bring it back in for repair. lol..

Old 07-05-2006, 12:25 PM
<--12 More Years

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys are freaking great Thanks for the info just saved me $90 and the best part my baby didn't have to go to the dealer

Old 09-21-2006, 05:24 PM
I went to my local dealer and they reset the light for me......it then went ON again after 2 days.....I had removed my seats a about 6 months ago and the light never went on. I then had my AVIC Z1 installed about 1 month ago and the light never came on until 2 days ago. Do you guys think there is something wrong with my SRS system? I used the on off method and it worked just at first but I'm afraid the light may come on again.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Clear Flashing Airbag Warning Light