Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double Din-ANSWER!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double Din-ANSWER!!!

Okay, there are so many questions related to double din that I feel the urge to post a thread that will explain exactly what it is and how to get it.

As you know, the stock radio is integrated to the A/C. If you remove the radio, the A/C doesn’t function properly. What will happen is your A/C will only generate heat. If you set the temp to 60 degree, still nothing but heat coming out of your A/C. This sucks because you can’t upgrade the head unit. The Skyline (G 35 in the US) in Japan has the option of adding the aftermarket radio without losing the A/C functionality. The unit is call double din.

The double din consists of the Titanium finish and the metal bracket. I have also hear that some have order the black or brown instead of the titanium. I haven’t got any confirmation or the part number for those two. The bracket come in 4 types; Standard, Nav, Radio or Nav plus Radio less. Tig88 order the Radio less one and I order the Nav less. I don’t know the difference but I have no Navigation system in my car. Therefore that make only sense I order that one.

The most important aspect of the double din is the AC controller. No matter what, you need the AC controller because the original AC controller will not fit with the double din. Plus the reason why you get the double din is the original AC is integrated to the radio. If you remove the radio therefore you have to remove the AC. Guess what? The AC controller for the double din will cause you 200 bones. The AC unit is what cost the most. You can’t get away without it. No point of ordering the double din and bracket without the AC.

There is also the dash pocket and blank bracket. If you are planning to use one din head unit, then you need to get the dash pocket. Otherwise you will see thru the center console. The dash pocket use to cover the other blank din. Tig488 has installed in his car and you noticed that he has only one head unit, which equate to one din. The second din is not being used therefore he cover it with a dash pocket. This dash pocket will allow you to store some cd, etc…

Okay now that I got that out of the way, lot of people here been asking, “where the heck do I get this kewl shiet?” As of right now, you can only order from J’s Garage. Many of us have order it. This guy is really good and he seems like a very honest man to deal with. His email addy is yosi@j-garage.com. His name is Yoshitaka Ikeda. Here is how it works. You email him what you want. Then he will give you a site to make a payment. Once he get the payment, he orders the part. Once all the part arrives, he sends you an email with a tracking number to track. It should take less than a week to arrive to your door. Please note that you will be charge first prior to getting your double din. Therefore, make sure you are committed to order it. The reason is that you can’t get your money back if you decided to back out.

Below is the part number. In my case, I had the following part order.
68260-am913 double din dash titanium
27500-al501 AC controller
68470-35f00 dash pocket
68470-60m00 blank bracket
28038-510 nav less
I order the dash pocket and blank bracket that not needed. If someone wants it, I will give it away in an exchange for a bottle of Heineken [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img].

Lastly, the most popular question about the double din is “If I have dual climate control, will I lose the dual climate control if I go with the double din kit?” The answer is yes and no. Yes you will lose it if you too lazy to finish the extra two steps. If you want to retain the dual climate function, then you will have to perform extra work. Depending on how good your are, you might finish in 15 minutes. If you suck like me, 30 minutes [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]. The work itself is not hard but can be very frustrating. Here is what you have to do to retain your dual climate function. First remove the old dual climate button from the old AC. Be very careful with this one, because if you do it incorrectly, you will break the plastic piece that holds the button. I happen to break mine because I was too impatient. I just put on it anyway; the button doesn’t have that same feeling as it wasn’t broken. Still work. You need to de solder the switch where the original double din and solder on the new AC controller. This part was easy [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]. The reason why I said it works because I’ve done it. I know another member got it to work.

Below is the list of part number. If you have more questions and still confuse, you can ask yosi. Lastly, the shipping is a killer. It cost me 300 for the parts and 63 for shipping. Yikesssssssss…

68260-AM913 Double Din Dash Titanium
68260-AL500 and AL700(black, and brown I think, ask yosi)
27500-AL501 AC Controller
68475-35F00 Dash Pocket
68470-60M00 Blank Bracket

Now for metal brackets
28038-AL500 Standard Bracket (our factory bracket)
""""" -AL510 NAV less (dont know what that means)
""""" -AL700 Radio less(the one I ordered)
""""" -AL710 NAV/Radio less

Here is a link that contains my installed.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288467085
I have the alpine dva 7996 and pxa-h700 which I can use orange color to match our car. Not 100 percent but close enough.

BTW, if you do it urself, make your you know what you doing. Cause you will be ripping a lot of part to install it.

G35mt

Old 12-03-2003, 03:01 AM
Re: Double Din-ANSWER!!!

Thanks very much for the summary post... it will help a lot of us who are G35 stereo n00bs...

Old 12-03-2003, 05:49 AM

what exactly are the following parts used for?

68470-60m00 blank bracket
28038-510 nav less

not sure what the nav less is referring to. I have the factory nav so which part number do i order? Soirry if i missed this part.

Old 12-03-2003, 10:03 AM

Wow, that's a very informative post. Maybe a moderator should consider moving it to the FAQ & DIY forum.

2003 G35 Coupe
Black, Willow, 6spd, Aero, Prem, Tint

Old 12-03-2003, 10:17 AM

The blank bracket is just a plastic piece to fill up the double din. Say you want to install the double din but don't want to install any head unit. If you have one din installed, you can either use the blank bracket or dash pocket. Dash pocket will give you extra space to store cd, etc. The blank bracket just cover the din. or just picture the blank bracket as another head unit but just a platic piece. If you have the NAV...i don't know. let me email yosi and see what he have to say.

g35mt

Old 12-03-2003, 10:27 AM

just curious...do they make a wiring harness yet for the 03 coupes w/o nav. so i don't have to go splicing into wires trying to figure out what's the power, ground, front L&R speaker, rear L&R speaker,etc...thanks.

John H.
2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT-Ivory Pearl-Premium Pkg-Performance Pkg.

Old 12-03-2003, 05:54 PM

Any harness set for newer nissan/infiniti's will work. Scosche NN03 is the one I used.

Btw g35mt is right about the button for dual climate. I broke off one of the little studs. It is VERY easy to break. Take your time with removing the button because the plastic studs holding it in are very brittle.

Old 12-04-2003, 02:25 AM

okay, i got an email back from yosi. Base on the email, the al 700 is for people with nav. Below is the picture of the bracket, al500 and al700 sent to me.

g35mt

149064-V35-centercluster6-al500-2.jpg

Old 12-04-2003, 02:26 AM

here is the al700

149065-V35-centercluster6-al700.jpg

Old 12-04-2003, 04:02 PM

the two are exactly the same except for the placement of the screw holes used to mount the radio, thats the only difference.

03 BS/Graph 6MT Prem Cp
19" Gunny TE37 275/30 MichPSports
kg/mm springs
camber rods
injenCAI/SES
Alpine/JL/Stinger
2Din

Old 12-04-2003, 04:12 PM

i didn't want to make that deduction but yes they are the same except the screw placement. Which also made me to believe that the bracket, regardless of which one you order, it will work. I actually think the AL700 work better for me because the screw placement, it match perfectly with my two alpine unit.

During the install, i notice something different between the al510 and the orginal factory (al500). They are the same except the black circle i drew on this picture. The al510 doesn't have the piece that i circled.

g35mt

149330-bracktal500.jpg

Old 12-06-2003, 07:11 AM

I read a post on g-owners.com about installing the SAT unit. I figured it would tell me how to remove the radio. This post says to disassembly the entire dash. Did you have to all of this to install your new radio?

http://www.g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=19

Silver | 6MT | Aero | Sport

Old 12-06-2003, 12:53 PM

KBoogie,

Exactly. That site you link is exactly what i did to remove the radio. The step are detail and i did exactly that.

For anyone that is about to install the Double Dinh. For the url given above, it give a very detail procedure.

g35mt

Old 12-13-2003, 08:06 PM

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288467085

What exactly was involved to install the lower DVD screen? It's not clear from your photos whether or not that is a custom job or not.

Also, these are all Infiniti part numbers, I'd assume? And the only reason we can't get them from a US Infiniti dealer is because they aren't in the US parts database?

Lastly -- great info! I'm sure that a lot of people are relieved that we can finally install aftermarket radios without having to lose Air Conditioning!

www.dgtrials.com -- Your US Drifting Authority =)

Old 12-14-2003, 02:45 AM

thoraxe,

It was tig488 that did most of the work. He was able to get the part number and the contact information in Japan. Kudos goes to him.

The DVD screen was custom install at Als and Ed's in Huntington Beach. The ash tray basically was gone. In addition, the hazard switch is no longer there. Some of the parts to hold the ash tray were cut off. I am looking to get a digital camera. Once i get it, i will take it out and show what was done to fit the monitor there. Almost all of the install were custom. The one piece that I installed myself is the PXA 700. This is the most complicated hardware of my audio system. One of the installation in southern California did an install on my friend’s car. They didn’t even know how to configure it. I had to help him reinstall it because the installer didn’t really understand the complex hardware. Anyway, if anyone of you planning to heavily modify your sound system…this piece is a must. I have to find a person in southern California with RTA (real time analyzer) to help adjust the eq. Next project.

The part number is not Infiniti but rather Nissan. I don't really know the reason why Nissan or Infiniti doesn't offer those parts here. i can speculate that Infiniti doesn't want use to mess around the radio or the AC. just make life harder for them. Plus if customer knows about it, they wouldn't order the premium package and opt out. I wouldn't be surprise if this is the truth.

Well, i wrote this thread because a lot of confusion among the forum member. Many member ask me the same question and so base on that. I wrote this thread to help other member to decide.

g35mt

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Double Din-ANSWER!!!