Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Which DVD Player for Rear Arm rest?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2003 | 08:51 AM
|
Which DVD Player for Rear Arm rest?

Wondering which DVD player to get to install in the rear arm rest of a sedan (in place of the first aid kit). Looking for a lower-priced option.

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2003 | 11:56 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Re: Which DVD Player for Rear Arm rest?

Go here. You could also pm Ted to see what he did.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...sed&sb=5&part=

Russ

Black w/willow, 6MT Coupe, nav, aero, V1, PS2, & TVs all up in the headrests.
Jax, FL

Old 12-15-2003 | 12:50 PM
|

Unfortunately, that post doesn't list the type of DVD player, just that one is installed. A brand recommendation would be great.

Old 12-15-2003 | 02:33 PM
Deep Sea Moderator

That's why I said you could PM him and ask him.

Russ

Black w/willow, 6MT Coupe, nav, aero, V1, PS2, & TVs all up in the headrests.
Jax, FL

Old 12-15-2003 | 04:23 PM
|

TrentaCinque, thanks for the info.

Here is whay I found. The Icon-TV DVD100 is a 3/4 DIN DVD / MP3 player that will fit in the armrest. Looks like it can be found for about $140 shipped. I think I'll be ordering one of these...

Old 01-30-2004 | 01:15 PM

Hey TechFarmer,
Can you tell me where you will be purchasing the external Icon-TV DVD100 ect player? And let me know after you have purchased it and your back seat drivers have watched a movie, how did it look (I have 2 small kids and want to know if it's worth it)

Old 01-30-2004 | 01:23 PM

Russ,
I had seen in one of your other posts that you aquired the headrest screens - alpine 580...Can I assume you "cut" your headrests and put these screens in yourself? As I have seen in real expensive lux cars they have the same set up you are showing.

Old 01-30-2004 | 03:25 PM
Deep Sea Moderator

Yeah, I cut them myself. The first one I took my time with but the second took less than 30 minutes.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest thread

Old 01-31-2004 | 01:26 PM
|

Here is a picture of the install socalted discussed in this post.

CarStereoExpo.com has the Icon-TV DVD100 for $140 shipped. I still haven't ordered it yet as I am considering the new Kenwood DDX7015 Double-DIN DVD player.

As for it being worth it with kids in the back, definitiely! I'm currently lugging around a laptop with a DVD player.

Old 02-02-2004 | 09:07 AM

That is great, thank you so much for all the info!!!

Old 02-02-2004 | 09:45 AM

I did the same install, and also used the Icon unit. It is a fabulous install for the kids. I don't quite get how you're considering a double DIN unit. The Icon DVD unit is 3/4 DIN, and that is ALL you will fit in the armrest. I also used a Pioneer CD-VS33 as a video control box. It gives the kids the option of one watching a DVD while the other plays PS2. I also added a 120v converter for the PS2.

One other item to consider, is the severly forward sloping backs of the headrests on the sedan. For this reason, I used Accelevision monitors with a tilt capability. Even with this tilt, viewing angle is a bit tough for my 8 year old, unless I get the front seat passenger to recline a bit, (not typically a problem for my wife, as sleeping is her norn for any long trip.) With a plain non-tilting monitor, this could be a problem.

I've already posted pictures of the DVD player install, in the next few minutes I'll post the rest, (just click on my screenname).

Is this install worth it???

I really don't know how we got along all these years without it! (I know for the past 4 or 5, I've been using a DVD laptop). I recently took a 7 hour drive from NY to Toronto, and even with an 8 and 10 year old in the car the only "Are we there yet???" quips came jokingly from my wife. The kids were completely content.

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 02-03-2004 | 06:42 PM
|

RacerX,

The Kenwood DVD player would go in the dash and not the armrest. Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Old 02-04-2004 | 01:45 PM

Can I tell you how happy you made me...making me click on your user name and looking at your car pictures...
Let me tell you my story...(sit back, grab a cup of coffee...this might take a while...hehe)
Back in June 2003 I started looking for my new car...The first stop was the BMW dealer..test drove the M3 and was not impressed....then I trotted off to the Infiniti dealer...WELL...let me tell you (I am talking with my hands now) I test drove the Sedan with the automatic, because at this point they had no 6 speeds...
The car in the show room sold me off the bat...it was fully loaded and had the aero kit. I asked the dealer what made this car look more sporty than the others...and he told me about the aero kit...had to have one. .The car in the show room has the whole aero kit...oh I was gitty as a school girl...
So off I went to other dealers...and yet the G kept pulling me back...so finally after 6 ...yes 6 months of test driving and doing research, I finally settled on the G Sedan. I ordered the Sedan on Black Friday...(I am still waiting for it's arrival). When I went to the dealer to test drive with the whole family, I wanted to see a Sedan with the Aero kit...but no one had one...so now my next journey...go to multiple Infiniti dealers...well to this day, the aero kit is far and few between....and do you know the dealers at different locations look at me and tell me, don't waste 2k-3k on some plastic...so I figured I would save my money and decided not to. Then when I placed the order...I turned to my hubby at the last minute and said, I really liked the car with the aero kit...he said well then you better buy it now so the paint matches...so I did...
So to make a very long story short...thanks for taking pictures of your aero kit...Now I really can't wait till my car comes in...boy will it look HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-06-2004 | 11:33 AM

another pic
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/ef7f9...aj8IABtz_9kub4

Carlito's G35

Old 02-06-2004 | 11:35 AM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which DVD Player for Rear Arm rest?