Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
View Poll Results: What is the best alarm to buy?
Clifford Matrix 70.5X
19.35%
Viper 7900
36.56%
CompuStar P2WSSR or 2WSSR
19.35%
Autopage RS-900LCD
0%
PYTHON 1090
1.08%
Stock
18.28%
Other: Please Specify
5.38%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

What would you rate to be the best alarm?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:00 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you rate to be the best alarm?

What do you think the best alarm system is? And why do you think it's the best?

Note: I broke down Python,Clifford and Viper, but they are all made by Directed(DEI)

Last edited by Concealed StrateG35; 04-24-2007 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:52 AM
I really like the Viper alarm but becareful with the remote cause they can only take so much abuse!! I'm on my 3rd remote!! Plus they're not that cheap......

Old 04-24-2007, 07:24 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they are all great alarms (even the stock can be upgraded to offer quite a bit of protection).

In this situation your total happiness/security will come down to the actual installer, not the product chosen.

I will 2nd the fragile remote comment, got to be careful with Viper 2 way remotes.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had my clifford alarm for 2 years now with no problems. It has stopped2 break ins while I was at home. The controller was always loud enough to wake me up, I caught the first person and the 2nd time it happened they were already long gone but nothing happened to my car.

Last edited by digital1986; 04-24-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by digital1986
I have had my clifford alarm for 2 years now with 2 problems. It has stopped2 break ins while I was at home. I ended up running upstairs and stopping what was going to happen.
huh.. can you clear up what you meant

Old 04-24-2007, 02:10 PM
Disturbance of the Peace

I think features are important. Though we don't have a G35 yet, I know what I want in an alarm. The technology is vast. Research is important. Having the Z32 and the t-tops one of the big things for me is motion detection. Since a simple ball bearing can't be heard and can shatter a window (tint prevents this) someone can if not steal the car, go shopping for whatever is in it without disturbing a typical alarm.
I also like self-starter with the manual shifter. Coming from Chicago and brutal winters having the car already warm was a great feature! And now being in Texas it's just preset the A/C and I enter a cool car.

I know DEI has had some good stuff in the past decade and even was on Time magazine's cover at one point. Depends on what you want in an alarm.

I'd go for the Clifford or Viper since I believe a lot of customization can happen with them. Currently I'm using an AST though. I got it through a friend at a shop back in Chi. It does everything I want for the price (which was cheap for me).

Old 04-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I have installed 100's of Python alarms. I would stick with the DEI line.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by nghiars
huh.. can you clear up what you meant
fixed Sorry I am at work and its hard talking to customers and typing haha

Old 04-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Snake!

Originally Posted by ttrank
I have installed 100's of Python alarms. I would stick with the DEI line.
I'm looking at the DEI line right now. Why Python over say Vipor? I understand you were just referring to installation but just want your insight.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:57 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Compustar for the record!

Old 04-24-2007, 03:31 PM
From what I have been told. There are only a few true manufacturers of auto security systems and they are all very comparable to one another when it comes to performance and reliability. I guess the biggest difference would just be the periferal options that you can get with your alarm such as keyless entry (should have stock), engine kill, engine start, windows and sunroof control, paging features, and the like. I think that the most important thing is that you have it properly installed by someone with a lot of experience with a G35. What good is having the top of the line alarm if it isn't plugged in right? This is just my 2 cents.

If I am way off base, someone please correct me. Thanks in advance and I hope that helps.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:40 PM
DEI is using Compustar's 2-way remote technology.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:48 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Tru-G
From what I have been told. There are only a few true manufacturers of auto security systems and they are all very comparable to one another when it comes to performance and reliability. I guess the biggest difference would just be the periferal options that you can get with your alarm such as keyless entry (should have stock), engine kill, engine start, windows and sunroof control, paging features, and the like. I think that the most important thing is that you have it properly installed by someone with a lot of experience with a G35. What good is having the top of the line alarm if it isn't plugged in right? This is just my 2 cents.

If I am way off base, someone please correct me. Thanks in advance and I hope that helps.

That is true, It's all about the installer, I had the Viper 791xv in two of my cars, in one of them the alarm was really good, and in the other it was OK, I had problems with it, and I think it was because of the two different installers that I had.

Now I need to find an alarm that is compatible with MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS besides CompuStar.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Hi-Tech_G
Compustar for the record!

Why Compustar over any of the other ones? I mean I might go Compustar just because I think they are about the only ones whose remote start is compatible with manual transmissions, but I do like the new viper and clifford ( i love the way clifford sounds)

Old 04-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Almost all Nissan vehicles with manual transmissions have built in neutral safety switches, making any remote start 'safe' on these cars AS LONG AS THEY ARE PROPERLY INSTALLED. The PNP (Park/Neutral Position) switch goes to ground ONLY when the tranny is in the N position. This signal can be connected directly to the NSS input found on most quality remote starts. It doesn't require you to do any dumb sequences before you exit and it won't let the car start unless the tranny is in N.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What would you rate to be the best alarm?