Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Pioneer AVH-6800DVD Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer AVH-6800DVD Review

I finally got around to taking pics so heres a small little review since people keep bugging me about it (cough marty) =) I got this headunit to replace my old kenwood ddx8017 because i wanted a 6 cd changer and just something new! So on with the pics:

The headunit itself is bigger than my kenwood by half an inch. It's around 7inches compared to the 6.5 There aren't as many buttons on this headunit compared to the kenwood but I never really used the other ones anyways.

This is the headunit installed which was pretty standard.. didn't really have any problems. As you can see, the kick a$$ feature of this headunit is the backgrounds they offer you. This is my favorite one. The kenwood only offered 3 backgrounds.. and they weren't even that cool. Most of the wallpapers on this pioneer HU move to the music.

One kind of annoying feature is that in order to change stations I would have to click on the screen so that the boxes show up, and then click on the station I want. So i have to basically double touch the screen every time because after a few seconds, the boxes go away and it looks like the first picture I posted. Not that big of a deal though. One thing I like about this is that it shows all the stations you have set, unlike the kenwood which just had numbered buttons.

these are the options pioneer gives you..

Under the audio options. One thing that the kenwood has that is better than this is the audio options. For this headunit, i can only control bass from -6 to +6 whereas the kenwood allowed settings from 15 to -20 or so. I set my sub to the lowest settings and its still too strong for me. Maybe I should've gotten weaker subs :P

equilizer stuff

the different kinds of wallpapers

more wallpapers and shows how to access the optional navigation unit (which i dont have because I have stock navi.)

this is how you access the 6 cds and ipod, tv, all that stuff. 6 cd changers FTW!!!!!!!!!

this is what the screen looks like while playing a normal cd.

and a distant shot of the headunit.. lots of blue colors!

and finally this is how it opens up incase those of you have automatics, you can see if the screen gets in the way or not when you're in park. When the screen is open, you can still access the screen to load cds into which slot you want, and etc.

All in all, this headunit is very refreshing to use. The colors are awesome and the bigger screen kicks ****. You can watch dvds while driving if you connect the ebrake wire to a switch but I did not know that at the time so I have to change that when i'm not so lazy because taking everything apart is a pain in the ***!

I managed to install this at 1 AM at a friends house with nothing but a flashlight. We finished at around 630AM because we kept losing things.. hahaha. But it works nicely. Thanks POE for helping me install the headunit and marty, i hope this was helpful to you!

Last edited by imalazeeass; 05-03-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the review

Old 05-03-2007, 09:42 PM
damn how much was it for the unit?

Old 05-03-2007, 10:36 PM
it was on par with how much i paid for my ddx-8017 at the time.. around $1,000

Old 05-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the exact HU I am going to buy to replace my Blose stuff. Looks awesome.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:04 AM
SPD
This is Great unit.
I have got it too. Very very good Sound

Old 05-04-2007, 10:32 AM
I have the same headunit with the rear camera, ipod adapter, & sirrus... all I can say its worth every penny.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Did you get any of the extra stuff? I have the same headunit with ipod, XM, bluetooth, and Vehicle performance. I plan on getting the backup cam and maybe the surround sound processor. I still have the stock bose speakers and amp and I like the sound, but the bass gets muffled at higher volumes. After hours of messing around with the equaliser, I just gave up and decided it is the bose amp. Haha. Nice Review by the way.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:26 AM
No i did not get the extra stuff.. didn't really have a need for it although the vehicle performance is kinda cool.. but i figured I have enough gauges and wasnt worth spending a couple more hundred. Might be a future upgrade though.

Can you guys tell me what kind of camera you are using and how you mounted it?

Old 05-04-2007, 12:24 PM
I have pioneer rear camera mounted to the top lip of the difuser of the KS bumper... I want to cut a hole in the plate & mount it behind the bumper in the near future. I can snap a pic this weekend to show you how i have it fastened to the car.

Old 05-04-2007, 03:07 PM
i love that thing!! Though I'm not sure I should fork out the money for such a thing since a do have NAv on mine.

One of the reasons I regret getting premium package!

the HU looks effin sweet though!

Old 05-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Great unit, looking at one myself. How did you keep the stock NAV sound?

Old 05-05-2007, 04:02 AM
i did not keep the nav sound, i always thought it was annoying anyways.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:18 AM
i have the same hu in my g for about 3 weeks now and i love it...except when i use my ipod intereface i cant get back to the previouse menu after listing to a song, you have to go all the way back to the main menu. other then that its amazing!! def recomend it to anyone whos lookign for a great dd.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very very good write up. The unit seems simple and very straight to the point.. definately considering it. Thanks lazee!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVH-6800DVD Review