Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Pioneer AVIC-D3 worth $500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer AVIC-D3 worth $500?

As I'm starting to write this, I just realized that as a fan of electronics, I'm shamed to say that I don't know much about car audio/video. But anyway, I just wanted to know from you guys' experiences if the D3 is worth getting for 500 bucks. Long story short, a friend of a friend can't afford his payments on his car and has to get rid of everything. There is nothing wrong with the unit and it is not stolen. lol. He bought it not too long ago and the HU is in the box with the receipt as I'm typing this.

I stopped by Circuit City to check it out and it seemed pretty cool and quite functional to me. I mean, anything is better than what I have right now. It has all the features I was looking for, but in the little time I had, I've used the "search" button on here and found out that a lot of people had/has some issues with it. I haven't been able to do much research on the rest of the stuff I will need to install it as this just came up today and I don't want to miss out on what could be a good deal. With all the accessories and extra pieces I'd need, I really don't know the costs of them. The only things that I do know is that I will need the DD kit and some wiring harnesses. I spoke to Pioneer about a warranty and they said as long as I have the receipt, it doesn't matter who bought it or where I got it from. So, that's a plus.

So I ask you guys, what do you think? If I have just the unit, what else do I need and what am I looking to spend to install it plus the extras.

Thanks a lot,
Barry

(p.s. I have an '04 coupe Bose system)

Old 12-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
If you dont get it LMK i might be interested

Old 12-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
you know where to get it.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:11 AM
yes it's def worth it imho

Old 12-04-2007, 12:11 AM
yes it's def worth it imho

Old 12-04-2007, 12:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Worth it.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:51 AM
definately worth it. all you need is the JDM DD Kit Finisher and the JDM A/C Controller. You will also need a harness for the wiring. and thats all i can think of at the top of my head.

if you need the DIY write up on how to take out the Stock HU here it is https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-diy/90507-diy-06-hu-removall.html

ima install my hu on sunday ill update with pics when my task is completed.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:18 AM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Worth it, esp for that price. I plan to get one in the future too.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Man, this is tough. I just wanted to treat myself to something nice and it's between this and an HDTV that I've been wanting for over a year. Getting both is possible, but I shouldn't.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:02 PM
There hasn't been any mechanical problems with the D3 that people have reported on.....it's just some of the features of the unit that some aren't too happy about. One particular thing about the D3 that most don't like, is the fact that the navigation is DVD-based and requires the nav DVD to be in the unit to set your route, and once your on your way, you can take the DVD out, but the problem arises then that if you stray from your route, or you want to look stuff up on the route like the nearest McD's, you have to put the nav DVD back in, which means ejecting your DVD movie or CD, as there is only one DVD slot and it's shared by your entertainment media and the nav DVD. This would be a HUGE pain in the *** as I'm one to tinker alot with my stereo, and if I had navigation in my vehicle, I would be playing with it like crazy, and that would mean ejecting my movie to do this(I like to burn music video DVD's and watch and listen to them in my vehicle.....for me it's not so much watching, but more listening, but the passengers watch). This is one of the reasons that steered me away from the D3. You could always plug an iPod in and that could be your source for music and video as a way to bypass always having to remove your media to change your route. But really, other than that, it's an excellent unit with awesome navigation capabilities and color customization, for an excellent price that's hard to beat. I choose the Alpine IVA-W200 instead with the option of adding navigation to it down the road. Couldn't be happier with it.

And I say, go for the D3 at this $500 price! Hard to beat that!