Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Program Navigation While Moving DIY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump, can someone pleae help with this??

Old 12-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Any way to get the pictures for this thread?

Old 03-26-2005, 02:27 PM
Can you upload the pictures again? I really want to do this mod but need to see the pictures.

Old 03-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Meatshack
I cant see that pic... wtf?? or if i click it, it doesnt wrk... so how do i view it?

Old 03-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is actually a very simple modification assuming you can lower the entire glovebox, which should be doable without the pictures since it's 4 screws inside the glovebox, 2 outside, and one plastic nut.

Once you're in there all you have to do is add a switch the the green&white wire on the back of the navi unit.

The way Russ did this is to cut the trunk switch wires, and extend each end of the green/white navi wire to an end of the trunk switch wire. I actually installed a separate switch in the ashtray so I retain the trunk switch use as well.

I've uploaded the wiring diagram for this mod. I'm pretty sure you can find out how to lower the glovebox in the FAQ/DIY section. It'll be the same procedure as changing out the cabin air filter, so it's a useful thing to know. I would check the in cabin air filter DIY for pictures on how to lower the glovebox.

I think the toughest part of this mod is getting the wire spliced to the green/white wire on the navi harness. The harness is a little tough to get out since it's cramped in there and you gotta push the tab and pull the harness out at the same time with one hand if I recall.

After you disconnect the harness from the back of the navi, the rest is pretty simple. Good luck!

Attached Thumbnails Program Navigation While Moving DIY-navimod.jpg  
Old 09-07-2005, 10:28 PM
I don't see the pictures. Can they be emailed?
Thanks
brudomen@comcast.net

Originally Posted by Meatshackle
I got this idea from another member and took some pics while I did it. It's pretty easy and can be done in about 30 minutes.

Tools and parts needed:
Phillips Screwdriver
Wire Cutter & Stripper
Wire Crimper
5 18-22awg butt connectors

After you complete this the Navigation system is completely operational while the car is moving. If you use the trunk switch you will no longer be able to disable the trunk opener from inside the car. I didn't see a need for this so I used the factory switch instead of installing another one.

To operate the Nav, turn the switch to "off". When you're done, turn the switch back to "on". It may take a few seconds for the Nav to find it's bearings since you're basically tricking it to believe you're not moving.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest Monitors Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 11:05 AM
_jb
Photographer

Originally Posted by chenga
The way Russ did this is to cut the trunk switch wires, and extend each end of the green/white navi wire to an end of the trunk switch wire. I actually installed a separate switch in the ashtray so I retain the trunk switch use as well.
What use is this switch? I know that it basically enablles/disables the trunk button on the keyfob.

Does anyone use this switch?

Old 10-11-2005, 01:38 AM
Lightbulb Instead of the Trunk Switch for 6MT

Originally Posted by Meatshackle
Disconnect the plug going to the trunk switch and remove abot 3" of the electrical shielding.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest Monitors Thread

202804-Nav bypass09.jpg
Instead of using the trunk switch, you can use the parking brake. You can use a 5 prong relay with the ground signal from the parking brake as the switch. Use the wires extended from the VSS wire and connect them to the 30 and 87A prongs on the relay. Then open the center console. Remove the shifter boot by gabbing the panel by the aluminum trim and the leather to expose the scews holding the center console. Remove the two screws behind the shifter. Separate the two wire harnesses. Hold down the front of the console while pulling up on the console in back of the shifter. The center console should now tilt up at a 90 degree angle. Locate the parking brake wire; this is your ground signal for the relay. Tap the parking brake wire and connect this to the 85 prong on the relay. Tap the red wire from the 2 wire harness for the 12v side. Connect this to the 86 prong. Use insulated spade connectors on the relay. Use an empty connector for the 87 prong. This is not used in this application. Extend the wires enough to place the relay in front of the ashtray. Put the console back together and test to see if it works. You will be able to progam the navigation while moving when you pull the parking brake up. REMEMBER: PULL THE PARKING BRAKE UP ONE CLICK, JUST ENOUGH TO LIGHT UP THE DASH BUT NOT ENOUGH TO ACTIVATE THE BRAKE.

Last edited by 13bmx5; 10-11-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's another way to go about it but it's a lot more work.

Great writeup.