Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Installing/connecting a backup camera.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing/connecting a backup camera.

I am not sure if this was covered before but I am looking to get an aftermarket backup camera (license plate) and display it on my navigation screen.
- How can I connect the camera and have the video signal displayed on the screen when I back up?
- Is there any special hardware required besides the camera? Cost?
- Any good brands for backup cameras? What is your experience?

I want to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks for any advice!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:33 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I doubt it because the video inputs are only active in park with the parking brakes on.

The factory one goes in though the stock harness. There was a thread from someone thinking about installing the factory back-up cam, but I don't think it will be cheap. You would need a back-up cam spoiler, back-up cam, and steering angle sensor at a minimum. This is assuming the integrated head unit is the same and the harness is the same.

Originally Posted by drgsaik
I am not sure if this was covered before but I am looking to get an aftermarket backup camera (license plate) and display it on my navigation screen.
- How can I connect the camera and have the video signal displayed on the screen when I back up?
- Is there any special hardware required besides the camera? Cost?
- Any good brands for backup cameras? What is your experience?

I want to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks for any advice!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:55 PM
I never understood why people want to retrofit these things. If you wanted it so badly, wouldn't it of been more cost effective and easier to just of gotten the tech package when you bought the car?

Old 02-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fecurtis
I never understood why people want to retrofit these things. If you wanted it so badly, wouldn't it of been more cost effective and easier to just of gotten the tech package when you bought the car?
I am interested in this because when I got my car in Dec 06, the only 6mt/Prem/Nav in the state did not have the tech package.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by mbonus
I am interested in this because when I got my car in Dec 06, the only 6mt/Prem/Nav in the state did not have the tech package.
That's why you have to be patient and order your car from the factory. If you can wait 2 or 3 months for them to build it you'll end up getting the car with everything you want...

Old 02-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by WUKILLABEEZ
That's why you have to be patient and order your car from the factory. If you can wait 2 or 3 months for them to build it you'll end up getting the car with everything you want...
Well regardless, if you want your car now then you want your car now...

Personally I think it was a terrible idea from Infiniti to bundle the camera with the Tech Package in the 07s, and that's why I didn't get it. ICC and lane departure are two things I can live without, and not wanting to wait 3 months sealed the deal.

The backup camera is not something that would make or break it for me, so I went without it anyway. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try to retrofit something, or that you should get equipment that you don't want just to get equipment you do.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:43 PM
If I was willing to wait, I probably would have ended up with a 335

Old 02-19-2008, 04:05 PM
We have stores here in Canada called Canadian Tire. It carries a kit similar to what you are talking about. It is a camera on the licence plate with a display on the dash. The Camera is connected with the backup lights and talks to the display in the car via wireless. When the display receives info from the camera, it turns on the display for you to see behind.

No idea as to what kind of interface this is.

Guy

Old 02-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fecurtis

Or the Navi for 08 since they added to camera to the Navi for 08's......

Old 02-21-2008, 11:23 PM
u can buy the chrome lip for the cam and the cam itself then its up to you to find a shop to hook the wiring up via AV and link to the reverse lights.. u have to push a button for AUX probably on your screen for it to work.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by mrclowny
Or the Navi for 08 since they added to camera to the Navi for 08's......
This is true, they did change that for 08.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by ggaudreau
A camera on the licence plate with a display on the dash.

Guy
I've seen those...

Yuck!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just remove the trunk cover to find out if there is the cabling related to the backup camera. I need a solution so I can buy the infiniti backup camera and connect it to the lcd display. Any suggestions???

Old 06-17-2009, 01:00 PM
I think I know the answer to my question already, but I'll ask anyway. Is there any way to "relatively easily" retrofit the OEM backup camera to a G35 coupe? I'd even use an aftermarket camera if I could get it to fit up on the OEM spoiler nice a flush, like the OEM camera's mounted...

As it stands now, I'm getting ready to mount an aftermarket camera just above the rear license plate. Just figured I'd ask this question before I pull the trigger.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
why the heck is this in the photography section? lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installing/connecting a backup camera.