Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Battery Terminal Caps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Terminal Caps

I am pretty sure both terminals on the battery came with caps...one black cap and one red cap. I just had an amp and some speakers installed in my coupe and I think the installer threw away one of the caps because only one cap was there when I picked up my coupe from them.

Can someone check to see if their battery has two caps? Also will having one cap missing screw anything up?

One last question..about a month ago..my brother left the hazard signal on on my moms Honda Accord and thus it needed a boost the next morning. I used some jumper cables and gave the Honda a boost. All went well.

A friend of mine says NEVER to jump start any car with my car because it could mess up our electrical systems and computers and etc. etc.

Any comments?

'04 G coupe TB Graph 5A (all options except NAV and SAT).
No Mods.....yet

"Hello Everybody...My name is Black and I am a G-oholic."

Old 03-24-2004, 02:04 AM
Re: Battery Terminal Caps

No Negative Cap......Car is negativly grounded so leaving the Negative exposed won't hurt anything.

I Doubt jumping will hurt anything....just follow the instructions in manual. (I never volunteer for it)

Old 03-24-2004, 02:26 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No negative battery terminal cover on my Coupe.

I've always assumed that damage to diodes in the alternator as well as computers can occur in the boosting car during a jump start, but only if the engine is running.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 03-24-2004, 04:20 AM

Uh, the boosting car SHOULD have the engine running and RPMs around 3k (I believe that's correct, it'll state it in your owner's manual). I don't believe any damage results in boosting another car or getting a car boosted. Just make sure the negative jumper on the car being boosted is grounded to the frame and not connected to the negative terminal, otherwise you can cause a fire.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:02 AM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever start to connect jumper cables the wrong way (neg to pos)? I've done this a few times and its pretty obvious its the wrong way before you ever get a good connection i.e. sparks go everywhere. I've never had it fry anything, although if I blantently ignored common sense and connected them anyway sparks be damned, this is a very good way melt your battery or some other wires or pop the donor cars alternator, on the up side it is fun to watch, just don't get to close though else you might also get a face full of battery acid.

There are 2 good ways that you could connect your cars together, either start the donor car BEFORE connecting any of the wires and leave it on through the whole procedure revving the engine when the other car is being started, I find this method does a better job of supplying current, but if you touch the wires to each other inadvertantly you do stand a chance of popping the donor car's alternator. The other procedure is to leave the donor car off throughout the whole procedure. This will take longer and probably won't work at all if the recieving car's battery is "bad". If your really worried about your car, you can use this method and also disconnect the battery terminals from the donor car and just connect the battery terminals of the recieving car instead and then not have to worry about frying anything in the donor car.

I also heard you can fry the recieving car's computer if somehow when connecting them, either car's starter becomes actuacted causing a voltage spike to be sent to through the recieving car's electronics, the way to prevent this is to leave the keys out of the recieving car until your ready to try and start it.

I have used my g35 for many jumps without a problem. When doing it just make sure you follow the right order, + on recieving to + on donor, then - on donor to metal chasis on recieving, as long as you don't cross the wires theres very little chance you'll fry anything. They actually list this method in the owner's manual, if this was a potentially damaging procedure when done correctly, it would not be there.

Old 03-24-2004, 12:13 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

Funny story, well mabye..... I was jump starting my old Honda and I connected the positve of one battery to the negative of the other and vice versus. Then cranked the dead car and all my needles in the gauges went to the opposite side. I think I reversed the polarity of the car. So I was driving down the road all week going 140mph all the time!!! Well thats what it said. I later got it fixed, didn't hurt the car though.

Ivory Pearl / 6MT / Aero / Premium / Xenon Lights Everywhere / Mirror Tint / Injen CAI / Injen SES Exhaust / Tanabe Racing Springs / Ground Wire Kit / Apex'i S-AFC II

Old 03-24-2004, 12:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The engine should be running on the car that is giving the jump since the added output of the alternator will aid in the jump start. The negative connection should be made to the battery on the good car and the engine block or chassis on the dead car. The reason for this is that the dead battery my be giving off hydrogen gas from the vents and this could cause an explosion.