Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Water in door/speaker area ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water in door/speaker area ...

I just had an install done to my '05 G-coupe. It took me a while to decide what I wanted, and I ended up with the following:

Audison LRX 5.1k amp
Hertz MLK 165 components
Hertz ML2500 sub
Eclipse AVN5510 head unit

WELL -- my amp started to act funny, so I took it back to the shop today for them to look at it. They pulled the mid out of my passenger side door, and the back (magnet) side of the mid was soaked with water (I am in Houston and it's been raining all day). I never had a problem with the factory speakers going bad with water, so now I am worried -- were my factory speakers not as deep, so the water didn't affect them?

Now, they have to send the speaker in to see if Hertz will replace it, and it's become a huge hassle -- I haven't even had the car back a week, I got it back last Saturday.

Anyways, my question is if this leakage problem is normal. I've done some searching and found some mixed opinions on this board. Car is still under warranty, is this leaking something the dealer will cover?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Received 222 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by trueblue
I just had an install done to my '05 G-coupe. It took me a while to decide what I wanted, and I ended up with the following:

Audison LRX 5.1k amp
Hertz MLK 165 components
Hertz ML2500 sub
Eclipse AVN5510 head unit

WELL -- my amp started to act funny, so I took it back to the shop today for them to look at it. They pulled the mid out of my passenger side door, and the back (magnet) side of the mid was soaked with water (I am in Houston and it's been raining all day). I never had a problem with the factory speakers going bad with water, so now I am worried -- were my factory speakers not as deep, so the water didn't affect them?

Now, they have to send the speaker in to see if Hertz will replace it, and it's become a huge hassle -- I haven't even had the car back a week, I got it back last Saturday.

Anyways, my question is if this leakage problem is normal. I've done some searching and found some mixed opinions on this board. Car is still under warranty, is this leaking something the dealer will cover?

Probably won't be covered if the speakers were replaced by some 3rd party.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Water does get into the doors. The seal between the bottom of the door glass and the door isn't waterproof, which is why there are drain holes at the bottom of the door.

Did the shop use a spacer to space the speaker out to the back of the door panel? That might have helped and it should have been done anyway.

I would hold the shop responsible for the damage to the speaker because they installed it, they should have know about possible water intrusion, and should have done it right.

Tell them to replace the speaker with a new one and let them fight with the manufacturer to get it replaced. That's what customer service is about.

I know those components aren't cheap and the installation probably wasn't either. They got their money out of you already.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I talked to the dealer today, and they said they will look at it. He said if it's more leakage than normal, then they will take care of it, but makes no guarantees.

As far as the shop, I also talked to them. They did not install the spacer, and they did say it was an oversight. The only reason they didn't put in a new speaker last night is they didn't want another speaker to get damaged from a potential problem. They said they will go ahead and put a new one in once I get the door taken a look at -- and they will install the spacers. I don't think they would have done this if I didn't call them out about it, so thanks for the advice.

Both the dealership and shop are very easy to work with. That's a good thing about Houston, plenty of options, so I really looked around for people to do business with

Old 03-07-2008, 08:43 PM
No, the shop would not have done anything about the spacers otherwise.

The spacers aren't needed for rear spacing clearance (but it will help you here with your water issue) but they are to put the front of the speaker to the back of the door panel.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Update -- Just got back from the dealer, and they did find a problem with the rubber stripping at the bottom of the passenger side window. They ordered the parts, and I am dropping the car off tomorrow, and the dealership is going to replace the rubber on both doors

Old 03-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In the winter, my speakers freeze if it rained the night before. A lot of water gets down in that area.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
I had the same problem with one of my Focal speakers blown cause of water.

I think if I put Focal again I'm going to install baffles to protect them.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Glex25
I had the same problem with one of my Focal speakers blown cause of water.

I think if I put Focal again I'm going to install baffles to protect them.
The shop that did my install asked me if I want them to make a baffle for the speakers -- they really don't trust the dealership too much. I am not sure if this will negatively effect the SQ of the speakers because their airspace will be significantly lowered. My doors were lined with hushmat and set up to house speakers -- not sure about the baffle though.

These guys aren't going to charge me for the baffle -- they've made enough money off of me so far, and will get some more work in the next couple months on the other car

Old 03-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by afr0puff
In the winter, my speakers freeze if it rained the night before. A lot of water gets down in that area.
Do you have the factory speakers?

Old 03-12-2008, 01:42 PM
I'd get a baffle.