Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

GPS/Sirius antenna mount locations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 02:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS/Sirius antenna mount locations

Hey all,

Right now I've got my Sirius antenna mounted on the rear trunk lid against the rear window. And I've got the GPS antenna mounted on my front dash to the far right against the pillar column. Every day I see them and was wondering...there's gotta be a better way to mount these, preferably inside the car on the rear speaker deck. Anyone got any pics or ideas of where/how to mount these antennas (together) on that speaker platform in a nice clean manner?

Thanks - show me what you got!

-B

Last edited by shdowflare; 03-08-2008 at 02:19 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My sat and GPS antennas are under the rear window between the Bose grilles. I mounted them on a round metal plate that I painted flat black. I got the plate from Lowes or Home Depot. It's made for AC ductwork. Apparently, these antennas work better with some metal beneath them.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Nice...

That sounds pretty interesting...you don't by any chance got any pics do ya? I'd love to see how it looks. I don't have tinted windows so just wondering if it'd look okay back on my speaker deck.

Thanks Gilley,
B

Old 03-09-2008, 09:29 AM
I have my sat antenna secured with Velcro between the Bose grills on the rear deck. Have not noticed any signal issues

Old 03-09-2008, 10:03 PM
You guys got any pics?

Old 06-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Hey Gilley,

Is your interior black as well? Just wondering if you painted it black to match your interior or for reception...

Thanks,
B

Originally Posted by Gilley
My sat and GPS antennas are under the rear window between the Bose grilles. I mounted them on a round metal plate that I painted flat black. I got the plate from Lowes or Home Depot. It's made for AC ductwork. Apparently, these antennas work better with some metal beneath them.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:30 PM
It's weird, when I put the antenna between my Bose speakers on the "carpet" the reception is spotty. I had it two inches from my navigation antenna. Not sure if that's a factor.

Next test is to get a piece of flat metal and put it between the Bose speakers. Then I will try to mount both antennas there and see if that improves reception.

To summarize - putting them right on the carpet worked fine for the GPS navi antenna but sucked @$$ for the Sirius.

Originally Posted by tigeree99
I have my sat antenna secured with Velcro between the Bose grills on the rear deck. Have not noticed any signal issues

Old 06-07-2009, 10:27 AM
I also had some spotty reception issues between the bose grills and moved the antenna to the right front corner of the dash and stuck a metal piece under it. It seemed to work better there. I canceled the Sirius on my G coupe and transferred it to my FX.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Nice, Sean. Yeah I originally had my GPS antenna in that same location. Now the GPS antenna sits and works fine on the rear parcel shelf. I guess I wanted to move it "out of sight".

As for the Sirius, I'm going to try the metal plate trick to see if that helps. If not, I may either just put it back out on my rear trunk up near the glass, or try a custom retrofit of an '06 sedan OEM "shark fin" satellite antenna. Looks like others have done this with success, using it for Sirius signal reception.

Thanks again!
B

Old 06-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I have an 03 coupe and I mounted the GPS antenna underneath the A/C, Clock display. I believe this is where the stock GPS antenna is located as well.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Hmmm... that's interesting. How's your reception?

Old 06-07-2009, 12:22 PM
no problems on my reception. I have a Kenwood DNX5120 and the GPS loads fairly quickly... a couple of seconds. And it has been pretty accurate on the distances.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:05 PM
I know this probably isn't the most ideal spot but it seems to work pretty good most of the time. I have the wire routed through the pass through and up the center stack to the rear deck. I took the cover off one of the child latch hooks and the magnetic antenna just sticks to the metal hook. It doesn't move around at all and reception is very good even with tint.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Are we talking GPS or Sirius, guys? My GPS antenna works great on the rear deck. It's only the Sirius that gets spotty.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:00 PM
I mounted the GPS antenna in the stock location behind the clock. It works great.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GPS/Sirius antenna mount locations