Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

No display, wierd behavior Radio and AC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordgee
Mine's been working fine since my last post. Not sure why the circuit board decided to be stable so long, but I've already ordered the new Pioneer DD unit and will do the install in a few weeks when the parts come in, and I have time.

My head unit has probably 60 hours or less on the CD player and < 1hr on the cassette since I normally just listen to FM and use an FM transmitter to listen to MP3s. So if you're interested after I remove the unit, let me know.
But how do you know that the problem isn't in the head unit and not the circuit board? That is what I am concerned about or I would just order the circuit board.

Joe

Old 04-25-2008, 04:14 AM
COOL i am not the only one that has this prob i can tell them that theres a TSB on it since they don't really care to look at IoCC unless you mention it

|my window still creaks |

Old 04-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jrdemers
But how do you know that the problem isn't in the head unit and not the circuit board? That is what I am concerned about or I would just order the circuit board.

Joe
One of the Infiniti Techs that checked out the problem felt certain that it was the board because of the way the HVAC controls were malfunctioning as well. He said this has been a problem that he's seen many times. On a few occasions, he's had to replace the board and also the head unit if the board alone didn't resolve the issue. On each occasion, the board was still defective however.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Having this same issue myself now...

Just wondering if any of the Canadian Members have had this board replaced by Infiniti, and if so, what was the cost?

Old 05-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by dsmguy
Having this same issue myself now...

Just wondering if any of the Canadian Members have had this board replaced by Infiniti, and if so, what was the cost?
I was told that the board alone is over $700 CDN!!!

I think converting to an after market double din is the way to go.

I'm just wondering why no one's found a reasonable fix for the board since it looks like a fairly common problem!

Old 05-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, this has been a common problem on this board.

mine has been good for about 2 weeks since i stop using CDRs, the manual states that its not good using burnt discs anyhow, so that might have added to the issue.

if the issue returns, i'm going w/ an aftermarket DD. the dealer will try to fix the radio first, then circuit board. after its said and done, you could be looking at $1300 in repairs.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Yup..that's exactly what the dealer said.

They're 95% sure that it's just the radio, and not the board.

They said they are able to get reburbished HU for about $350...and of course if that doesn't fix it, they move onto the Audio Finisher Board.

Likely around $200 in labor to remove the old HU and put in the Refurb HU.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Administrator
Originally Posted by nismo714
mine has been good for about 2 weeks since i stop using CDRs, the manual states that its not good using burnt discs anyhow, so that might have added to the issue.
That might be the issue if it happens using CDs or CDRs. I hadn't played a CD since last summer, and when mine started occurring, I was using the FM tuner and didn't even have a single CD in the headunit!

Old 05-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Administrator
Originally Posted by dsmguy
Yup..that's exactly what the dealer said.

They're 95% sure that it's just the radio, and not the board.

They said they are able to get reburbished HU for about $350...and of course if that doesn't fix it, they move onto the Audio Finisher Board.

Likely around $200 in labor to remove the old HU and put in the Refurb HU.
Be careful about this. They could be taking you for 2 separate installs by selling you another HU, and then doing it again for the board!

The failed circuit boards have been a common issue, and failed HUs tend to lock up, giving the dreaded "Disc Error FO" display.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:46 AM
Agreed.

I'm going to go with an aftermarket head unit.

It came back to life briefly this morning, and I removed all of the CDR's that I had in it....shortly thereafter it failed again.

I think I'll go with the Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD and the Metra kit....can't find the Metra kit in Canada though, and any shops I call want $300 for it, when I can order it from the US for around $150

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the replies!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dsmguy: keep us updated. i'm sure mine will start acting up again, once it does i'm going the aftermarket DD route as well.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:46 PM
I just ordered the board and it should be here soon. Anyone have a good link to where I can see how to take apart the console and get to it? This is for an '03 with auto trans

Joe

Old 05-06-2008, 02:52 PM
The TSB or Voluntary recall from Infiniti shows you exactly how to do it (with pictures)

You can download it here:

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/loca....php?catid=180

On a side note, I got all of my CDR's out of the BOSE HU, and now everything has been working fine (about 5 stop/starts at lunch)...

Old 05-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by jrdemers
I just ordered the board and it should be here soon. Anyone have a good link to where I can see how to take apart the console and get to it? This is for an '03 with auto trans

Joe
Here's what I found a while ago. Looks good, except for the way Infiniti is spelled :

Double Din Conversion

And another:

Double Din Conversion

Old 05-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Where did you get the board?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No display, wierd behavior Radio and AC