Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No display, wierd behavior Radio and AC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an '03 coupe w/Bose. My battery keeps dying. A search for parasitic draw determined that the 15A radio use is drawing 0.5amp when the car is off (with some spikes to over 1A). Pulling the fuse ensures the car will start the next time. Otherwise it's dead within 2-4 days even with a new battery.

The a/c controls almost always work but 3 times in the last year they blanked out while I was driving for a minute but always came on without turning the car off and back on. The radio has the CD F0 Error but AM/FM works.

Car is obviously way out of warranty and I called the local Austin service manager and left a msg but he never called back. Contacted Infiniti corp through their web site but haven't heard anything either.

So I believe I should buy from Crutchfield the Metra double DIN conversion kit (it comes with a new a/c board?) for $200 and a Pioneer aftermarket head unit for $600. But in reading this thread I'm not sure if this will fix my problem? What's this about a power supply? Isn't the 12V from the battery the power supply? Is there something else I'm missing here?

I'm going to sell this car soon so I'd hate to spend $800 and not fix the problem (even though the new head unit will be nice). The Metra bracket shows it fitted into a car without nav but mine has nav. The Crutchfield guy said they only make one so it should work with both.

TIA,
Rayfes

Old 10-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try calling the guys at RadioMedics they fixed my radio & ac unit more than a year ago. So far so good no issues yet.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:51 PM
I would like to add to this thread and report that RadioMedics successfully repaired my radio! The infinity dealership in Orland Park, IL (Chicago surburb) quoted me around $1700 for a refurbished bose radio, new audio finisher board, and labor. RadioMedics repaired it for $275 + $5 shipping! It's only been a few days, so I will post again sometime in the future, but so far so good. It's working wonderfully.

If you are after the cheapest solution to this problem, you cannot beat $275. They mentioned a turnaround of 1-2 days (excluding transit time). I experienced a turnaround of 4 days, but it wasn't an issue for me.

Taking the radio out was straightforward with the guidelines provided by one of the DIYs I found on this forum. The instructions didn't exactly match my 2003 G35 coupe 6MT, but were close enough for me to figure out a few steps on my own. If you've never taken anything apart on your car, don't worry. It's very doable. To give you an idea, I'd say the only risk you have is forgetting where the screws go when putting things back together. My tip: zip lock bags with descriptions of where the screws go in your own words. It will jog your memory 2 weeks later. :-)

Hope this helps someone else out there.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:05 PM
For those that are interested. I changed out the PA15-NIS and still had the same problem.

I had a feeling it was the radio portion that was causing the problem because a gentle tap on the right hand side of the radio would bring everything back.

I decide to take the head unit into a local electronics repair place that had knowledge of the Clarion HU. They resoldered all the main connections on the radio and the A/C control board. There were some dry solder joints on the radio board. It cost me $100 so a cheap repair as I am happy with the OEM HU and do not wish to drop $800 on a new set-up.

This problem is clearly a solder connect issue that only gets worse over time due to the heating and cooling of the boards.

So far so good, my Ipod interface works perfectly as does the HU.

Thanks all,

Ben

Old 02-14-2011, 04:19 PM
So I finally decided to remove my radio from my car and ship it to Radio Medics. It was sent out today and they will hopefully receive it no later than next Monday. I live in Philly, so it will be quite a travel, lol. But based on the good reviews I'm reading in this thread for Radio Medics, I'm looking forward to getting my radio/AC problem fixed once and for all.

I will post again once I get my radio back.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:25 PM
FYI:

Since I had my HU internal connections re-soldered back in December I have not had one single issue, the HU is working prefectly. Best $100 I ever spent.

Good luck with ur repair!

Old 02-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
Too bad the fix can't take care of the other problems with the factory radio, like the disc read problems.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:25 AM
lol, did the little thing in the right hand corner of the radio work for anybody else? How about taking the radio out, is this a difficult affair? How long does it take and what should I look out for?

Old 05-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
Too bad the fix can't take care of the other problems with the factory radio, like the disc read problems.

Yeah that too..

If you're going to spend almost $300 to get a POS headunit repaired.. mind as well buy an aftermarket one.

Old 06-17-2014, 05:58 AM
2007 Infiniti radio not working and Ac won't turn off

Hey everyone I'm not here n I'm having a problem that's driving me crazy. The radio is stuck I'm guessing but I start the car and the Infiniti logo comes up and nothing els happens them the Ac comes on and I can't turn it off or press any buttons.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by polishguy123
I kno exactly how to fix your problem!!! I me and my brother in law found the solution by accident!!! Il take a pic if need be. So we were taking the radio out to install my pxamg ipod kit in by g35 coupe 2005. When we put the radio back in I had the same problem as you. Naturally I freaked out. But my brother in law who is a genius found out that this little thing thats VERY VERY VERRRRY senstive when moved easily falls out of place turns off the WHOLE radio and ac controls and the ac goes crazy sometimes. So you can try punching the RIGHT BOTTOM side of your radio or if you really want take the whole radio out and look at the bottom right side of it and youll see this little thing that if you wiggle it a little it should go back the way its supposed too. It then fixes everything and BAM! u save 1000 dollars cuz the dealerships stupid and "didnt know" about this tiny little thing that when moved a tiny bit makes your radio and ac go haywire. Hope this helps everyone. If possible please make this a sticky so no one else makes the mistake of paying a lot of money to fix a relatively small issue to fix.
This must be my problem

Old 05-10-2015, 07:22 PM
After reading forever, i'm still not sure what my issue is with my 2004 sedan Clarion unit. AC controls are normal and the HU functioned. The problem was with control and the display. Oh, no battery drain either. My wife drives the car so i'm hoping I properly describe everything....With no control or display she had sound on a single radio channel. That is until the battery died and took the presets with it. I pulled the unit hoping to find the resistor issue on the circuit board. No dice. My unit must be a different model.

My question is, do I have a HU problem or an audio finisher problem???

Old 05-25-2015, 01:32 PM
I was having the same issue as most everyone here with the Bose display and ac controls not working. The radio was able to be controlled from the steering wheel but not from the head unit itself.

I just did the re-soldering of resistors 508, 509, and 510 as described on this thread and my factory Bose in my 2003 coupe is working great again! I bought replacement resistors from digikey but I didn't even need them. I just put some flux on the joints to clean and get them ready for new solder, added a bit of solder to make sure the connections were solid and that was all it took. I spent about $60.00 total for a new soldering station from Ebay, flux, and solder.

G35 driver has saved me so much cash in repairs over the 12 yrs that I've owned my G.