Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

8" subwoofer in trunk hatch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8" subwoofer in trunk hatch

so I already have a W7 in a JL wedge box which sounds awesome but its summer and the Devil makes work for idle thumbs, I want to mount an 8" sub in the hatch in the back of my sedan that opens into the trunk. Any input on whether this will even sound good/work.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Assuming you are talking about the ski-hole pass-through, then compared to your current setup it will be a night and day difference... but not in a good way...

You will lose low frequency extension and a considerable amount of output.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by serenitynow
You will lose low frequency extension and a considerable amount of output.
not sure what you mean?

i was thinking of mounting it there and having the rest of its ported box on the trunk side, i didnt think a rear deck type mount would be wise (firing against window), i actually went and met the guys at Digital Design here in OK they are running from one to four 8" only in their cars and it sounded ridiculous.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Ok... I took it as though you were going to build an enclosure in the ski hole area and fire the sub forward into the cab of the car and that would definitely have sounded bad without sealing the cab of the car from the trunk...

The loss of low frequency extension would be due to two factors.. you no longer have as much reinforcement of low frequencies due to a reduction of distance between the sub and the farthest wall in the car and due to cancellation that would be caused by the poor seal between the trunk and cabin of the car...

The reduction in ouput would be caused by both of the above and also the fact that the sub is not in a high pressure loading area of the car... such as a trunk or corner of the car.

This can be talked about all day long, the easiest way to understand it is to build a small, simple sealed enclosure and move it around in your car and find out hands-on what I am trying to explain. Subs are omini-directional and many mistake that word for meaning their location doesn't matter, but that would be wrong and there is much more to it than that.

The right 8 in a properly designed vented enclosure is a great way to go... did many of them in the past in trunks, trucks, semi's, and even a few under dashes. Sounds like you are on track for the right 8 with the Digital Designs guys.

Hope this has helped

Last edited by serenitynow; 05-20-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Oh, and yes... using the ski hole for airspace and firing the sub and ports to the rear should be a great setup...

Old 05-31-2008, 04:19 AM
I actually just got 2 of these for pretty much free so im trying to see if i can use them.

if i have the DD mounted in the hatch hole with its box extending into the trunk and the port opening into the cabin, hopefully the trunk sub will continue using its trunk airspace while the 8" will be forced to use the cabin, the second will be mounted in the factory deck hole running via the same amp as the 10W7 in a ported box, this is pretty new to me, any suggestions of if this will even work?

AMISH

Last edited by sixthGear; 05-31-2008 at 04:28 AM.