Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

05-07 Double Din conversion kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05-07 Double Din conversion kit

FYI Grubbs just got some more of these in stock but better hurry b/c they only have 18 according to the website. Make that 17 since I just confirmed my order. I've been waiting since April. Good luck!

Old 06-29-2008, 07:10 PM
ordered. thanks!

now, i just need to try to get some money back on the metra kit that's on its way to me as we speak....

Old 07-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys, I've been reading through all the threads, and just ordered my DDin kit from Grubbs. I sure hope the color matches better than the picture on their site! I've got it narrowed down to either the Pioneer AVIC-F900BT for the new DD head unit, or the Advent IVA-W505 with the Blackbird PMD-B200 for nav on it for my '05 G35x sedan. I can't AB them here in west Kentucky, there is an Advent dealer who can install here in town, and the dealer for the Pioneer gear is 20 miles away....Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm mainly interested in touchscreen, nav, IPod control, bluetooth for my IPhone, and decent sound for the car versus the stock "Bose" system...all the best, Capper

Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dhcmd
Thanks guys, I've been reading through all the threads, and just ordered my DDin kit from Grubbs. I sure hope the color matches better than the picture on their site! I've got it narrowed down to either the Pioneer AVIC-F900BT for the new DD head unit, or the Advent IVA-W505 with the Blackbird PMD-B200 for nav on it for my '05 G35x sedan. I can't AB them here in west Kentucky, there is an Advent dealer who can install here in town, and the dealer for the Pioneer gear is 20 miles away....Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm mainly interested in touchscreen, nav, IPod control, bluetooth for my IPhone, and decent sound for the car versus the stock "Bose" system...all the best, Capper
Don't get the Pioneer F-Series, I've read A MILLION NEGATIVE REVIEWS about them...

Instead look into the Kenwood 7120/8120 or if you want Pioneer Z2/Z3

Old 07-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by iwant2drift
Don't get the Pioneer F-Series, I've read A MILLION NEGATIVE REVIEWS about them...

Instead look into the Kenwood 7120/8120 or if you want Pioneer Z2/Z3
Not sure what bad reviews you are referring to. Could you post links?

I stopped by a local shop and checked out the F900BT and it looks amazing. The screen is a little bit smaller but the layout is much more user friendly. Plus, the new voice activation and GPS on flash memory sealed the deal for me. The guy said they can't keep them in stock. Had to order one for my DD install when it gets here later this week. Had plenty of Kenwoods, Alpines, etc.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:07 PM
"According to owners, the issues range from complete lock-ups to distorted voice commands to quirky iPod interactions -- and that's just the tip of the iceberg."

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/17/i...tor-acting-up/

There's also another site where I read user complaints from many who have purchased this unit...

If you really want this one, you should definitely wait until a patch comes out...Personally I wouldn't risk it and I'd go with something else or even a Z2/Z3

Old 07-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by iwant2drift
"According to owners, the issues range from complete lock-ups to distorted voice commands to quirky iPod interactions -- and that's just the tip of the iceberg."

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/17/i...tor-acting-up/

There's also another site where I read user complaints from many who have purchased this unit...

If you really want this one, you should definitely wait until a patch comes out...Personally I wouldn't risk it and I'd go with something else or even a Z2/Z3
Wow! Thanks for the info. I searched online but didn't come across those comments. I called the shop and had them put my order on hold. Too bad b/c this unit had everything I was looking for. Guess I'll have to keep looking around. Any other units that have the same features?

Old 07-02-2008, 10:16 AM
i'm on a bit of a budget, so i can't drop 4 figures on a new head unit

So, i went with the JVC KW-AVX810J. hopefully it'll come in by next weekend so i can do the install.

I really liked my JVC KD-AVX33 (single din) that i had in my intrepid, so i kind of figure the new one is basically just the touch screen/double din version of it.

i'll try to take pics of the install when it's done and post them up...

Old 07-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by GmetalG
Wow! Thanks for the info. I searched online but didn't come across those comments. I called the shop and had them put my order on hold. Too bad b/c this unit had everything I was looking for. Guess I'll have to keep looking around. Any other units that have the same features?
Your best choice is either Kenwood 8120 (integrated nav, bluetooth, etc..) or the Pioneer Z2/Z3

Anything else is either not soo popular (therefore not really supported by the company) such as Eclipse, Panasonic, new JVC...

Best bet is to stay with Kenwood or Pioneer since they both offer a few In-Dash Navigation models and have done so for a while now

Old 07-02-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm going with the Alpine IVA-W505

with the dockable Blackbird PMD-B200 for Navigation. I know, with Alpine, you NEVER get more bang for the buck, but the reviews I've read are stellar, and the shop in town that has them and will install it for me is owned by a buddy, so maybe it won't sting the wallet quite as much. I ordered my JDM Double-Din kit from Grubbs last night....The Alpine has all the features I want, and I think the sound will suit my ear....any thoughts are appreciated. Does anyone know if a wiring harness is available to tie into the factor wiring for it? Thanks, any advice is appreciated... Capper

05' G35x Ivory Pearl with wheat

Old 07-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by dhcmd
with the dockable Blackbird PMD-B200 for Navigation. I know, with Alpine, you NEVER get more bang for the buck, but the reviews I've read are stellar, and the shop in town that has them and will install it for me is owned by a buddy, so maybe it won't sting the wallet quite as much. I ordered my JDM Double-Din kit from Grubbs last night....The Alpine has all the features I want, and I think the sound will suit my ear....any thoughts are appreciated. Does anyone know if a wiring harness is available to tie into the factor wiring for it? Thanks, any advice is appreciated... Capper

05' G35x Ivory Pearl with wheat
the docking thing is a little too odd for me...everytime you have to use navigation you have to put that huge thing in there (would be kind of weird when people see u plugging in that big navigation in there in order to use navigation in your car)....just an ODD feature IMO..

id rather have navigation integrated in the unit already...much easier cleaner and simpler

Old 07-02-2008, 06:25 PM
DD kit from Grubbs just arrived! They aren't kidding about JDM. Came in unopened Nissan Boxes. Other than the missing Dual Zone A/C button you won't be able to tell it from stock.

Now if I could just pick a head unit I'd be good to go. Checked both out both Z3 and the 8120 today and having a tough time picking. Seems the Kenwood has more features included, is a little cheaper, and got great reviews but I'm having a tough time letting the Z3 go as I have heard so many great things about Pioneer.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Iwant2drift..I agree, it's a little odd, however, I imagine almost all the time, I'll simply leave it docked in the unit. Only if I wanted to use it rarely in one of my other vehicles would I remove it. Alpine has never, to my knowledge, made one that has all the features I want like this (IPod full integration including video as a "Made for IPod" Apple member, Bluetooth for my IPhone, Nav (albeit through the dock), 1.3megapixel full 7 inch screen, built-in DVD/CD/MP3/AAC/WMA/DivX playback and Audyssey’s IMPRINT acoustical technology applied to the Alpine sound...I think I'll be happy with it, and hope to get it for around $1400.

GmetalG, I'm so glad you like the arrival from Grubbs...the picture on their website had me worried about the color for a match to my G...Mine shipped today...I'll take pictures when I get the Alpine installed...

Old 07-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by GmetalG
DD kit from Grubbs just arrived! They aren't kidding about JDM. Came in unopened Nissan Boxes. Other than the missing Dual Zone A/C button you won't be able to tell it from stock.

Now if I could just pick a head unit I'd be good to go. Checked both out both Z3 and the 8120 today and having a tough time picking. Seems the Kenwood has more features included, is a little cheaper, and got great reviews but I'm having a tough time letting the Z3 go as I have heard so many great things about Pioneer.

Any thoughts?
Pioneer would probably be a bit better and have alot of support and a dedicated site, i think avic411.com but you'd have to buy an extra module for the bluetooth since its not built-in...it does have a 10GB Hard Drive to burn songs on there which is a pretty sweet feature

The Kenwood is a bit cheaper has alot of features and has Built-in Bluetooth...

Its a hard choice, ill be in your same shoes in a few months once i get money to buy the DD Kit and a headunit and speakers and amps and all the parts n get them installed all at once

Old 07-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ignore this post: did NOT read description well

With this kit are you still able to do the solder trick with the dual climate button from your stock AC control?

Last edited by jhurst; 07-02-2008 at 10:47 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05-07 Double Din conversion kit