Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

I'm new here and I just put in my system!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm new here and I just put in my system!

I don't have that many install pics but I have some of the end result!

List of equipment used:

Front stage:

RE Audio 2 way components with RE passive crossovers, RE midranges, and SEAS Neo Aluminum tweeters

Rear factory bose

Wiring: Stinger HPM all the way around, HPM RCA's, HPM 1/0 Gauge with 250A fuse holder up front, HPM 4 Gauge running from batteries to amps. It is fused at the back as well, with a fuse before each amp in addition. Factory speaker wire (flame away but it works FINE!)

Batteries:

2 Batcap 800 batteries in the trunk

Amps:

US Amps Merlin MD2D for the subs 1500 @ 1 ohm
Sundown SAX 100.4 powering the front and rear speakers

Subs:

2 10" Boston G5's
2 10" Boston GTR Passive radiators

I went to Georgia and installed this along with my installer and we got it all knocked out in a day. Everything was kind of a pain but we got it done. We used a Peripheral Seven 4 (I'm not sure on the name but I think that's close) to get a signal from the factory headunit and it ended up being VERY CLEAN... there is absolutely NO ENGINE NOISE. On top of that we are getting about 6 volts of preamp voltage. Overall I really like it a lot. I had a very similar setup in my Titan and basically moved it over. This setup is very loud and very clean. The subs are extremely accurate and get loud. The components sound great, they get loud and sound great while doing it without the highs being too bright. The back bose speakers actually sound pretty good! They love the power from the Sundown (only time will tell how much they actually enjoy it though!) Overall, I am very happy with it. I still need to deaden the trunk because it rattles quite a bit but I already have 62.5 sq ft of Raamat.

Thanks for looking guys! Let me know if you have any comments/questions.

Attached Thumbnails I'm new here and I just put in my system!-dscf0229.jpg   I'm new here and I just put in my system!-dscf0230.jpg   I'm new here and I just put in my system!-dscf0232.jpg  
Old 06-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A false wall would clean that up nicely and would be easy to do.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:28 AM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^+100

Why 2 extra batteries? Do a lot of tailgating?

Old 07-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Meatshackle
^+100

Why 2 extra batteries? Do a lot of tailgating?
I know that a beauty board would clean it up but I kind of like how it looks right now and we didn't have time. This was done in ONE day. I would rather not have a cookie cutter zenclosure, and that's what it would look like if I put a beauty board...

I have 2 extra batteries because I am running a lot of power... 1500 watts RMS @ 1 ohm with the Merlin and ~130x4 @ 4ohms with the Sundown. These are batcap batteries meaning they can discharge very quickly providing a lot of power.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
You would be fine with a yellow top up front. I would question the 1500x1 as being true RMS power. At least you made the battery look decent in the back and covered it up. Post up new pics when you hide all that mess...

Old 07-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hahah ill take some picks of my trunk set up... its almost all done...crazy shaped box

Old 07-01-2008, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by bmpnride
You would be fine with a yellow top up front. I would question the 1500x1 as being true RMS power. At least you made the battery look decent in the back and covered it up. Post up new pics when you hide all that mess...
Well let me address your comments...

1. Yellow tops are not even good for the money and no I would not be fine with one... study physics
2. How are you going to tell me that my amp is not 1500 watts? You think I'm talking about peak power? Get a clue man... US Amps are underrated. You probably haven't even heard of sundown, it WALKS ALL OVER JL. Do you think this is a competition? Why would you question my amp?

STOP WATCHING UNIQUE WHIPS!!!!!!!

I just don't know why you guys would come at me with such negativity... I posted this to show everyone what I did and all I get are negative comments.

Are you guys all IASCA competitors that have perfect systems? Did I miss something?

Old 07-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
1st I'd like to welcome you to the boards. As far as Sundown amps walking all over JL Audio I highly doubt that. Me personally am a JL Audio ower and can proudly say JL Audio slaughters a lot of competitors (not all but a lot). The only amps and subs that I had that walked all over JL Audio was MMATTS.
Don't get it twisted people are't hating on your system but just giving you some idess to clean it up and make it lok more presentable.
I think 1500 watt amp for 2 10 in G5 subs is over powering them. I am currently runnig 2 12W6V2's powered by a JL Audio 1000.1 and all Boston Acoustics components powered by a JL Audio 300.4. I guess what everyone is pointing out to you is that for such a small setup you really dont need the extra batteries because a 1 Farrad cap and deep cycle battery will power that system fine. But whatever floats your boat man....welcome to g35driver.
Originally Posted by crod504
Get a clue man... US Amps are underrated. You probably haven't even heard of sundown, it WALKS ALL OVER JL.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by Hi-Tech_G
1st I'd like to welcome you to the boards. As far as Sundown amps walking all over JL Audio I highly doubt that. Me personally am a JL Audio ower and can proudly say JL Audio slaughters a lot of competitors (not all but a lot). The only amps and subs that I had that walked all over JL Audio was MMATTS.
Don't get it twisted people are't hating on your system but just giving you some idess to clean it up and make it lok more presentable.
I think 1500 watt amp for 2 10 in G5 subs is over powering them. I am currently runnig 2 12W6V2's powered by a JL Audio 1000.1 and all Boston Acoustics components powered by a JL Audio 300.4. I guess what everyone is pointing out to you is that for such a small setup you really dont need the extra batteries because a 1 Farrad cap and deep cycle battery will power that system fine. But whatever floats your boat man....welcome to g35driver.

I understand what you are saying and I appreciate your kindness. My US Amps MD2D is definitely a lot of power for the G5's... but I have to say they are pretty damn strong, when I had them metered in my Titan I did a 137 sealed up on the dash with a termlab on music. These subs are indestructible, I used to have 2 RE Audio SE 12's and the Merlin was almost too much power for them. I know that the g5's are only rated for 400rms but I don't even think boston knows what they are capable of. These subs are about 25lbs each and they go in 0.5 cube each... for a 1 cu ft enclosure, I don't think anyone could make anything louder than these. The box is literally big enough for the subs... that's it! I have the GTR's which are awesome... I get the output of a ported box but I still retain incredible accuracy, and my box is tiny.

Again Hi-tech, I appreciate your honesty and I feel that the way you went about your comments was very respectful. You guys are right about the beauty board and I know that. I just like looking at what goes on behind the scenes and it's neat to see the look on people's faces when they see how small the box is