Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

2005 G35C - looking for a navi system upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 G35C - looking for a navi system upgrade

Hi,

I am getting a 2005 G35C tomorrow or Saturday, and I was wondering if I can put in a navigation system to a car that didnt come with it standard.

Also I live in UAE / Dubai currently, so it should have local maps, and easily upgradable, as roads here grow out of sand like there is no tomorrow.

If possible, I would like DVD or HDD storage for film and music playback, and a rear camera for parking.

I guess all this adds up to a conclusion that I need an aftermarket head unit or something similar. Can you guys point me to the right direction? Maybe links with tutorial, etc.

I appreciate any help and/or advice,

Cheers

Ben

Old 07-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Check out the new pioneer avic units

Old 07-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by cwylie
Check out the new pioneer avic units
Hi,

Yes, I saw those. Are they relatively easy to install? Is that a DIY tutorial somewhere?

The G35 coupe has that lid on top, where the screen should go. In my case that is a mere sunglass storage at this point, I wonder how easy is to convert that to a foldable screen.

Thanks

Ben

Old 07-10-2008, 12:29 AM
why dont you get a double din and make it look like stock. You'll need one of those new double din bracket or finisher thing so it'll fit. And id say look into the kenwood 8120, alpine, and pioneer avic. It just comes to personal prefrences

Old 07-10-2008, 02:55 AM
Originally Posted by pd_
why dont you get a double din and make it look like stock. You'll need one of those new double din bracket or finisher thing so it'll fit. And id say look into the kenwood 8120, alpine, and pioneer avic. It just comes to personal prefrences
Hi,

Can you post a link to these conversions? I would like to see how it comes out at the end of the process, and whether I would be able to do this myself.

What are the maps available for those navigation units? I am very interested, as I live in the Middle East currently, and wouldn't be very useful to have only North America or Europe maps.

Thanks,

Ben

Old 07-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
search and read on double DIN conversions (the sticky threads are a good place to start) and you'll see a lot of information and pictures on what to do and how it looks. You should get a double DIN haed unit for the middle east so you have the maps for your area.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:42 AM
Thanks, that sounds good.
I read all day among the threads, and slowly I am getting the picture.

Few things I still dont understand. The DD kit I need to order will not have the dual AC button, and I will need to solder? Why is this? Is it an AC controller coming from a car other than a G35?

How easy is it to add rear camera view to the unit? Where would I mount the camera?

What will happen to the steering wheel controls? Can I use them somehow, or I need to strap some new controls onto the wheel?

Lastly, I am unable to fine a Double-DIN unit with Middle East specs. Can someone point me to the right direction?

Thanks, hopefully tomorrow I can also be a proud owner of a G35 C.

Cheers

Ben

Old 07-12-2008, 01:08 PM
the stickies at the top will expalin about the AC controller for your DD kit, the DD kit is coming from a JDM vehicle (not sure of the differences for the middle east specs. There is also kits available from Metra, although they do not seem to be as high of quality and I'm not sure if you can convert these to dual ac. Look up riversideinfiniti.com and mynismo.com, they are two places that you can get a DD kit.
Look up PAC SWI-Jack for retain steering wheel controls or something like this depending on which navi you choose

Camera mount would be preference however many add them around the license plate area and try to make them as discrete as possible. Theres a thread on this site that shows how people have them hooked up.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:37 PM
I got the car today

Yes, I read most of the stickies by now, and I am still unsure what to order. I contacted the J-garage, and was quoted a ridiculous sum for the DD kit and AC controller. It was like 400-500 USD for the two. However, they seem to have a controller which has the dual AC on already, so no soldering is needed, I hope.

Is there any place where I could get it cheaper from and is good quality?

The whole load of items I need to buy are a bit overwhelming financially at the moment, so I would just go for an iPod connector, and get the rest later. Will the original Nissan iPod connector still work with a DD head unit? It is connected to the Satellite radio IN port on the stock BOSE stereo.

Thanks,

Ben

Old 07-12-2008, 07:06 PM
You may try Grubbs Performance... they had DD kit that looks decent $250, and reportedly looks better than the metra.

For now, I just added the Nissan ipod kit from G35parts.com on my 05 coupe w/ Bose non-SAT. Works fine. I'll also mount my Magellan 4250 Nav to the cubby lid soon, splice the power into the lighter, so I'll have ipod, Nav, and Bluetooth (via nav), and an integrated look on the cheap. Later, I'll do the DD conversion, and speakers, and amp. But $190 for the Nissan ipod kit and $30 for an extra Magellan bracket and power adapter, vs. > $2000 for a DD HU and the rest... you be the judge.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
No one ever said converting to a DD setup was inexpensive. That's just the way it is.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ImFree
You may try Grubbs Performance... they had DD kit that looks decent $250, and reportedly looks better than the metra.

For now, I just added the Nissan ipod kit from G35parts.com on my 05 coupe w/ Bose non-SAT. Works fine. I'll also mount my Magellan 4250 Nav to the cubby lid soon, splice the power into the lighter, so I'll have ipod, Nav, and Bluetooth (via nav), and an integrated look on the cheap. Later, I'll do the DD conversion, and speakers, and amp. But $190 for the Nissan ipod kit and $30 for an extra Magellan bracket and power adapter, vs. > $2000 for a DD HU and the rest... you be the judge.
Well if you use one of those new pioneer avic f700bt, you could do everything for just above $1000 probably. That includes bluetooth, touchscreen Navi, JDM DD finisher, and steering wheel control adapter.

In the US it costs about $300 to get the JDM finisher shipped to you so $500 does seem high, but then, it is a different country so I don't know. At least your gas prices are still pretty reasonable there.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by roots4x
Well if you use one of those new pioneer avic f700bt, you could do everything for just above $1000 probably. That includes bluetooth, touchscreen Navi, JDM DD finisher, and steering wheel control adapter.

In the US it costs about $300 to get the JDM finisher shipped to you so $500 does seem high, but then, it is a different country so I don't know. At least your gas prices are still pretty reasonable there.
yeah, but then the amp(s), and speakers... That's how you get to $2000+. I'm thinking I'll start with the speakers, since that will make the biggest difference in SQ. But we'll see.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Hi,

I have the car now so I started thinking what to do, and wanted to consider the Factory ipod integration at first, but I think my car came with no SAT radio. It has no SAT button on the dash, only CD/AUX.

Can I still mount it somehow and bring it into the stock system?

Thanks

Ben

Old 07-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by bence8810
Hi,

I have the car now so I started thinking what to do, and wanted to consider the Factory ipod integration at first, but I think my car came with no SAT radio. It has no SAT button on the dash, only CD/AUX.

Can I still mount it somehow and bring it into the stock system?

Thanks

Ben
See this thread for all the details...
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/131884-factory-ipod-integration-successful.html

I installed the factory ipod integration kit. I have no SAT, but prewired for it. I punch the RADIO button or MODE button on the steering wheel and it cycles through to the iPOD

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2005 G35C - looking for a navi system upgrade