Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

good spot to mount tweeter in coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good spot to mount tweeter in coupe?

i have an 05 coupe and i bought 2 pairs of components and im wondering where would be a good spot to mount the tweeters in the rear?

Old 07-11-2008, 12:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't done it personally but I imagine there's a lot of space on the back panel since most of it is empty space. The tweeters you bought came with covers and mounting covers, right?

A better option might be to just get coaxials.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know of anyone mounting separates in the rear. Coaxials (if any speakers are used at all in the rear) work fine.

See if you can return them for coaxials and you'll save some money.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:21 PM
yes they have crossovers. why would coaxils be better?!

Old 07-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Ideally, you want the sound the seem like it's coming from the front, so the rear speakers is just for fill. Having said that, putting components in the rear is just a waste of time, money, and effort.

Ultimately its up to you and how you listen to music. If you're not an audiophile and just want loudness and don't care one bit for depth, realism, and accuracy, then components in the rear is fine.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I opted for JL VR690-CXi rear deck coaxials when I did my replacement and I'm very happy with the sound. I did not replace my rear sides and just disconnected them. I agree with not mounting seperates in the rear.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by badtziscool
Ideally, you want the sound the seem like it's coming from the front, so the rear speakers is just for fill. Having said that, putting components in the rear is just a waste of time, money, and effort.

Ultimately its up to you and how you listen to music. If you're not an audiophile and just want loudness and don't care one bit for depth, realism, and accuracy, then components in the rear is fine.
That sounds more like an audio snob, not an audiophile. Most audiophiles don't mess with car stereo, first of all. Anyway, if you're having sound coming from the back, having components will never hurt. The sound in a system is only about as good as the worst component (piece of equipment). Even if you're having "rear fill" from the side speakers, you might as well have good range and transparency to them.

badtziscool, your argument doesn't make sense unless you roll around in your car with all the sound faded to the front. Also, when it comes down to it, the rear speakers are for the people sitting in the back, which, in our coupes, is useless since the people in the back are thinking about why their heads are hitting the back window and not scrutinizing the quality of the sound. However, if there is sound coming from the back, I want it to be the best possible so it doesn't mess with the sound in the front.

Having the sound coming from the front is ideal, of course, since most recordings are mastered with the idea that people are going to have two speakers in front of them. However, you can get decent imaging and dynamics with four speakers all around.

Oh, yeah, I still suggest just getting coaxials in the back just because it'll be much easier to install. Also, if you do somehow mount the tweeters on the plastic body panel, it won't look great and the lack of rigidity probably won't be great for tweeter performance.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:21 AM
No tweeters in the back for me-- I'm putting a set of MB Quart midbass woofers in the rear and DLS comps in the front. You could just skip mounting the rear comps tweeters, and lower the volume in the rear to half of what's in the front. I'll bet that won't mess with the soundstage and imaging too much.