Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Issues with new iphone 3G (2008 G35x)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issues with new iphone 3G (2008 G35x)

Hi,

I have tried my new iphone 3G many times and found the some issues. I have 2008 G35x with ipod cable built in the center console.

1. It won't charge the new 3G iphone. The iphone is showing that it is not working with this accessories.

2. When I plugged in the ipod cable to iphone 3G dock connector, I cannot play music via touch screen or any buttons. My car touch screen is showing ipod is not connected. When I control my iphone 3G, I cannot hear the music come out either. It looks like that sound already send to my car.

3. I can pair my phone with my car and call is fine. But I cannot transfer my contact from iphone 3G to my car.

I am not sure where it is cable issue or connector, or compatibility issue.

Anyone has the same issues?

Old 08-01-2008, 06:44 PM
iPhone 3Gs wont charge on most OEM iPod interfaces or most existing iPod docs. Most of these parts use the Firewire charging pin in the 30pin connector. All devices up to the iPhone 3G supported both "Firewire" based charging and USB based charging. The 3G only supports the 5V USB charging. Don't be fooled by the word "Firewire" because this only refers to the way the connector interacts with the iPod/iPhone and doesn't refer to the type of plug you are plugging into.
Many think that you can simply modify the cable; however you need to have a voltage regulator circuit and certain resistors for authentication.
There is a 3rd party adapter on the way and will be available at Apple stores within the next 45-60 days or so.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:14 PM
i have a iphone. i phones suck GGQQ

Old 08-03-2008, 11:14 PM
That was a helpful post...

Old 08-04-2008, 09:04 AM
okay well usually to play it you will have to put it in airplane mode. try that

Old 08-04-2008, 09:11 AM
It may be just the iphone itself. A lot of dock connectors for home stereo's, alarm clocks, etc. don't indicate compatibility with iPhones, just iPods or iPod touch. Funny thing is, I had an '06 bmw 325ci with ipod dock connector, and it charged my iphone and played music through the system, although it was a bit buggy. Sometimes i'd have to unplug and plug it back in again to get it working. Sometimes resetting the iphone (Hold top power button and home button at the same time until phone shuts off and apple logo appears) and connecting it again would do the trick.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by n2fooz
iPhone 3Gs wont charge on most OEM iPod interfaces or most existing iPod docs. Most of these parts use the Firewire charging pin in the 30pin connector. All devices up to the iPhone 3G supported both "Firewire" based charging and USB based charging. The 3G only supports the 5V USB charging. Don't be fooled by the word "Firewire" because this only refers to the way the connector interacts with the iPod/iPhone and doesn't refer to the type of plug you are plugging into.
Many think that you can simply modify the cable; however you need to have a voltage regulator circuit and certain resistors for authentication.
There is a 3rd party adapter on the way and will be available at Apple stores within the next 45-60 days or so.
+1

The new iPhone 3G has a different Dock connector than the previous iPhone. So if you hear people say "this charger works with *my* iPhone" be sure and find out exactly *which* iPhone!

As stated above, there are 2 main differences between the iPhones' docks:
1) The 3G uses 5v where as the original uses 12
2) The original uses "firewire" dock or whatever. There is a way to mod those connectors to work with your iPhone, but it requires skill at tiny soldering. You are essentially (IIRC) crossing or switching 2 wires in the connector. Even if you do so, there is still issue #1.

If you have old connectors/docks laying around, wait till the adapter, or buy a new one.

The good thing about the newer 5v: W/ my old iPod that used the 12v, I had a DLO cart cig lighter charger. Worked perfectly. Then I also got one that plugs into the cig lighter, but instead of a cable coming out, it has a USB slot. I got this so that I could plugin/charge a larger number of devices (iPod, phone, etc.). Problem is that since it is USB (5v) it takes FOREVER to charge. Now w/ the new iPhone I just plug in the cable that comes with it and it should charge up faster. :-) Theoretically at least. :-)

Old 08-04-2008, 03:41 PM
After I have done some researches on the websites, well it seems someone will release converter out there that will adapt your older firewire based stations for the new iPhone 3G. But I am not sure how it will convert from 12v to 5v. Also, it is still unknow that the converter will allow you control the music library from voice comand or touch screen.

http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/connector.htm?connipod.htm