Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Kenwood DNX8120

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm unhappy with my stock HU sound. I'm seriously considering one of these DNX8120. Anyone here that have it installed..how do you like the sound quality? Is it MUCH better then the stock signal?

Old 09-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally think it sounds 100 times better than the stock signal. I didnt even need to change any of my speakers.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I dont have the 8120 in my G yet but its a HUGE improvement right outa the box.

you will not be disapointed

if your a tweaker you should take 2-3 days off work =)

Old 09-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by naughty240
If you have a blackberry or iphone I think it wont work just yet. I was able to make a couple calls and it sounded like my last Parrot setup which is good. It does have 2 usb ports but one is for the ipod. I know ot will play video from the ipod. Not sure if it can store all this stuff. Im still learning too.
I have the Kenwood bluetooth module hooked up to my DNX-5120. It works fine with iPhone, but the bluetooth audio compression does degrade the quality. I've tried with a Razr, and it has the same quality loss.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:53 PM
I am gatharing parts to get this unit installed in '06 X .... I remember that once in a while the speakers that come with Bose upgrade do not work well with aftermarket HUs ... I do have Bose, do i need to replace my speakers along with DNX8120?

and another question, did any one try to make a garage opener work with this unit (i do not have homelink)? I looked at the manual, it has just a brief mention that it can be done and some possible settings .... any one has more info?

Old 10-05-2008, 10:29 PM
yo chadcham....quick question, where did you get the dd conversion kit from? i want to get that same headunit but not sure where to get the kit..

Old 10-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by ballinitup56
yo chadcham....quick question, where did you get the dd conversion kit from? i want to get that same headunit but not sure where to get the kit..
these guys:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-I...mZ190255809128

I paid $270 shipped to IL

Old 10-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Your installer is clueless. I did my own DNX-5120 install, which is identical to the 8120, so this should be applicable.

1) For FM reception, make sure that the Power Antenna connector on the wiring harness is connected. It actually powers a signal booster.

2) He connected it incorrectly.

3) The PAC has two wires coming from it, a jack and a thin white wire. The jack isn't used in this install. The white wire has to be soldered or crimped to the remote input wire on the Kenwood. The PAC wiring harness has to be soldered to your steering wheel controls, and its input wire must be connected to two wires in the Infiniti wiring harness via a couple of resistors.

Originally Posted by Ev3223
I just had everything installed but I have a few minor issues:

1. FM stations are more staticky

2. My XM Radio does not show up as an option on the headunit for some reason so I am unable to use it right now

3. The installer was unable to setup the PAC-JACK unit because he said there was nothing to plug the wire into.

Can anyone help me out with these 3 installation issues?

Old 10-21-2008, 11:22 PM
RCA Spliced Harness work on 2k6 coupes?

Crutchfield says the harness with the rca's already spliced in are for upto 2004's. Anybody have this in a 2006 coupe, as Chad's (the poster of the url from crutchfiel) doesnt look like a 2006 dash (could be mistaken though).

Also curious if the EQ controls on the 8120 have any effect through a Bose system, since the Bose amp applies some EQ'ing of it's own. Will eventually add my 300/4 JL (already got the 300/2 in pushing 2 W3v2 12")..this is just a stop gap for the moment.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:40 AM
Hi,

I finally gathered all parts, just like the it is mentioned on the first page. I got the Double Din kit, the HU, iPod cables, antenna adapter, wire harnesses and a backup camera. I left the steering wheel controls out for now. As i have been reading, it has the delay and I am not sure its worthed. Plus the HU should quiet the volume down on an incoming phonecall, so there is really no need to control it for me. This is of course a personal opinion.

I will do the installation at the beginning of next week, and I am wondering if anyone has a DIY tutorial of the install? I have read the generic ones, but I am curious if there is anything specific for the DNX8120.

Will I just be able to mount the unit with the already existing screws? What tools do I need for the process?

Anything could help,

Thanks

Ben

Old 12-01-2008, 08:14 AM
the wiring harness is about the same as anyother with the excetption of the parking break wire. I would just ground that wire to the chassis.

also the bluetooth mic needs to be routed, but that depends on where you want to go with it. In addition the GPS antenna needs to be mounted. I mounted mine next to the clock in the middle of the dash. Pretty easy.

Over all the install is not hard, just very time consuming. I would allow 2-3 hours if you are a DIY guy and 5-8 hours if this is your first time

Old 12-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
the wiring harness is about the same as anyother with the excetption of the parking break wire. I would just ground that wire to the chassis.

also the bluetooth mic needs to be routed, but that depends on where you want to go with it. In addition the GPS antenna needs to be mounted. I mounted mine next to the clock in the middle of the dash. Pretty easy.

Over all the install is not hard, just very time consuming. I would allow 2-3 hours if you are a DIY guy and 5-8 hours if this is your first time

Thanks for the answers. Could you please post some pics of your BT Mic's wire and routing as well as the GPS antenna? I am just wondering where did you route the cable so that it would not be ugly.

What is the Parking Brake wire?

Thanks a lot,

Ben

Old 12-01-2008, 09:08 AM
eh no pics of the routing.

I mounted the mic on the gauge clusters outside. I used just a dap of super glue and it hold fine. As far as routing, when you have the radio out you can snake the wire around and find a hole to mount it......sounds complicated but its not.

The GPS antenna is easy. Just mount it on the clocks metal "frame".

The parking brake wire will be a lime/bright green wire that says "parking brake" ground that wire

Old 12-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by blazeplacid
eh no pics of the routing.

I mounted the mic on the gauge clusters outside. I used just a dap of super glue and it hold fine. As far as routing, when you have the radio out you can snake the wire around and find a hole to mount it......sounds complicated but its not.

The GPS antenna is easy. Just mount it on the clocks metal "frame".

The parking brake wire will be a lime/bright green wire that says "parking brake" ground that wire
I understand the routing of the mic wire now, but I am still curious, where do you bring the cable out from the dash? You connect it to the back of the HU, but it needs to come out somehow. If I want to bring it up at the A column on the driver side so that it is mounted just below the sun visor on the driver's side, can I route the cable under the dash all the way to the left hand side?

The GPS antenna is under the dash or on the dash?

And what is the parking brake wire for? I don't see the relation between a parking brake and an entertaintment system.
Thanks a lot and sorry for the amount of questions,

Ben

Old 12-01-2008, 11:44 AM
once you tear into the car this will all be easier to see, trust me.

The GPS will go where the clock mount is now

the parking brake wire is to ensure that you do not watch movies while you drive. If you ground this wire that will be bypassed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kenwood DNX8120