Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

b4 I buy -- need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b4 I buy -- need help

I'm about to pick up a new smart phone (want Office, GPS and bluetooth) so leaning towards Blackberry or Plam Treo for G35 compatibilty. (any suggestions on models or alternatives would be appreciated.

Goals- Questions: (hope they are not dumb)
1- Can I expect to utulize the GPS on the BB or Palm and interface it to my (non-nav) G console display? Has anyone accomplished this and how?

2- Can I use the bluetooth to sync any the phone numbers to the G's console, or am I out of luck (no storage capability)? When phone is on-- do I lose GPS functionality and memory-- or does it pick up automatically after call is ended?

Or am I just overpaying for a smart phone-- is there a simpler or less expensive solution or other better choices?

Old 10-10-2008, 05:11 PM
My palm treo would not sync with my car. I only spent a few minutes with it and haven't tried again. I constantly have trouble with the palm OS locking up forcing me to remove the battery and "reboot" the phone. The only reason I still use the damn thing is because my company pays the bill.

just wondering, why aren't you considering an iphone?

Old 10-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I have no info to give, but suggest you list the carrier you have or are looking at.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:54 PM
smartphones & carriers- syncing with (non-nav)

Thanks for the input -- so far.

I have ruled out the Iphone, because I do not need the tunes, nor do I want to deal with Apple battery isssues down the line. Also do not care to pay for features I won't utilize.

I have read recently where a lot of people are annoyed by the Palm's down time and crashes. ( As former VP of engineering at global EMS company that built the Palm's-- lots of problems with their quality).
We did not like them back in 98-2002-- but the company paid for them. I guess QA on new mfg lines are still lacking.

This is for my own company use and I'm leaning closer to the Blackberry Curve.

I have an 07 G35x (no nav) but came with Bluetooth.

Again, I'm more concerned with synching up the Bluetooth-- for hands free-- and possibly voice activation... and was really hoping I could use the console display for GPS, (so easier and safer to see-- plus passengers would have it too).

Has anyone got this to work with new smart phones, or even standard cell phones with GPS (LG o Samsung)?

Carrier... seems irrelevant to the hardware and interface. For the record, I have AT&T, but well beyond my contract and looking at them as well as Verizon--all the others in Boston area, do not have a network worthy of the basic cell phone needs.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i have the curve and its a great phone.. you can have it work with any email provider, bluetooth works great(tho ive never tried it with a bluetooth vehicle, just my headset) and i do not have GPS on mine(I'm with t-mobile so i have WiFi instead, which i love.

Have you consider the 8800 model? there isn't a camera on it like the curve but i hear that it is better for busniness use than the curve.