Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Installed an aftermarket HU in my sedan but now the system is not as loud???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2008 | 10:22 PM
great! so its the wireing harness that was cuasing this problem? i dont konw my units voltage, does anyone konw the voltage for an avic z1, is it less than 4v? thus me needing the metra 70-7550 not the 7551 that comes with rca cables that i have?

Old 11-13-2008 | 10:52 PM
can anyone confirm this?

Old 11-14-2008 | 08:24 AM
L7nx,

I will post the quote I saw in a reader review that was on the Crutchfield site that I am referring to:

"Nissan/Infiniti Receiver Wire Harness
Written By tramayne, dallas on Thursday, September 18, 2008

great product. accomplishes goal, but BEWARE only use this setup with a premium sound if your aftermarket radio puts on 4 volts or more. if not go with the 7550."

This is what I saw when I posted about the 4 volt information. As it is from a anonymous source, and not the manufacturer themselves, I guess I can't vouch for it all that much, but my suggestion would be to call someone like Crutchfield, or even Metra and see if they can confirm it themselves.

Cheers,
Kev

EDIT: I went to the Pioneer site and confirmed this information for the Z3 model:

Preout Voltage 2.2V, 1k Ohm

I'm guessing that the Z1 model is probably similar, and if that's the case, it would need the 7550 harness, NOT the 7551. Hope this solves your volume issues.

Last edited by MR. WOMO; 11-14-2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: adding information
Old 11-14-2008 | 12:13 PM
^thanks! i'll give it a shot and post results. I do have the low sound problem, hopefully the metra 7550 will work.

Being that this harness doenst have rca outputs, these wire harness does not even touch the RCA on my unit? or do i need to splice/connect into them.

Old 11-14-2008 | 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by L7nx
^thanks! i'll give it a shot and post results. I do have the low sound problem, hopefully the metra 7550 will work.

Being that this harness doenst have rca outputs, these wire harness does not even touch the RCA on my unit? or do i need to splice/connect into them.
Hard to say - I would think it would depend on what headunit you have. I have a AVIC-F90BT from Pioneer, and if I remember correctly, there were different wires that DID NOT have the RCA plugs on them (probably specifically for this reason - not knowing what kind of hook-up a given car would have) but I can't be certain of that. There were RCA plugs on the harness on the back of my headunit that I just plugged the 7551 into. Being that you probably DON'T have RCA plugs on yours (or maybe you do?) I would think that Pioneer would have left those wires plain since the difference in the 2 Metra harnesses is primarily the RCA plugs.

Did that make any sense?

Let us know how this goes along - I'd love to know it gets solved for you!

Cheers,
Kevin

Old 11-14-2008 | 01:58 PM
it does, and it doenst.
I have the avic z1 and on the back side of the unit i see RCA cables with R Speaker L speaker etc. the metra 7551 comes with RCA connections, what i dont understand is, the metra 7550 doesnt, how would they connect to the unit? Or with the metra 7550, do i just ignore the RCA connectors?

Thanks,
I'm hoping this will take care of my sound problem with the metra 7551 i'm currently using

Old 11-14-2008 | 03:11 PM
L7nx,

Sorry, I wish we could be sharing a beer and jabbering about this in your garage - but barring that, not being able to actually see the harness, or wires from the headunit itself, my guess is there MUST be some other wires there. I can't believe that the Metra folks (or Pioneer) wouldn't make it as easy as possible to hook whatever unit you have up.

It sounds like you'll be taking the headunit out at some point to hook up this 7550 harness, so hopefully when you do that the wire situation will become clear as to how to how to hook it up at that point.

If not, I hope to be online to offer any suggestions I can to help out!

Cheers,
Kev

Old 11-14-2008 | 03:54 PM
thanks! i will post pics of the back of the unit to explain myself better later tonite.

thanks for all yoru help!

Old 11-14-2008 | 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by williamjv
Not yet L7nx,

I already ordered this online http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=753 but i should be getting it tomorrow or monday. I will post results once I install it.

I used the SVEN 4 in my wifes Pathfinder. Pioneer HU -> SVEN -> Bose amp, using RCAs. Been working well for over 2 years. Sounds great, no noticeable noise/whine. I'm planning to do my DD in the G soon, I plan on going with the SVEN.

Old 11-14-2008 | 10:02 PM

Mr. WOMO,
that is a pic of the back of my avic z1 unit.
as you can see the wires on the right are RCA, meant for the metra 7551, say i was to get the metra 7550 harness, would that conenct to the wires on the left side of the RCA wires on the unit?
Also, could i get something like TimW SVEN 4 with the metra 7551 to correct this sound issue?

Old 11-15-2008 | 09:22 AM
hey guys I didn't go through the whole thread but basically the bose amp needs a high level signal. meaning the lazy man's way (the RCA input) will give you less signal than hooking up the speaker wires to a harness like the 7550 (metra or best kits). AND you could end up with engine noise using the 7551 (one with RCAs). The bose amp really ISN'T that bad once you start tinkering. But you have to know what you're doing and tune from the deck. I avoid using RCAs on factory amplified systems

Old 11-15-2008 | 10:02 AM
Thanks for posting L7,

It would seem Troy has even more technical knowledge (as do maaany others I'm sure!) about this stuff than I do, but from what I remember, and what I can see from the installation instructions for the F90, there were both speaker wires WITH the RCA ends to them as well as speaker wires that DIDN'T have them. I remember taping the bunch of them off as I didn't use them.

Basically the same amount (3 sets; front, back, sub) of neg/pos wires with just bare ends as opposed to RCA ones.

It dosesn't look like you have that option from the photo. I guess I'd ask other who may know better if that is what you would do for your unit - cut the RCA ends and splice them to the 7551. I sure wouldn't do it before someone that had more knowledge about this stuff chimed in, but I can't think of how else (maybe these SVEN type deals instead?) to do it.

Keep updating!

Cheers,
Kev

Old 11-15-2008 | 10:13 AM
NOOOO cutting splicing of the RCAS!!! DON'T DO IT!!! just go back to where you bought the 7551 harness from and tell them you're getting engine noise and want the 7550. all you have to do is take the green, green/black, white, white/black, grey, grey/black, purple, purple/black (all your speaker wires) and attached them to the corresponding wire colours on the F90. (colour for colour - and yes I spell colour with a U as I am cdn )
that will take care of your volume issue

Old 11-15-2008 | 10:14 AM
oh and those Sven things are dumb... they work but not at the cost of trying to find a place to hide the bloody thing it might as well be an amp... it's massive

feel free to PM me with any audio questions. (but this next week I'm in Jamaica so I may not get back to you right away)

Old 11-15-2008 | 02:44 PM
metra 7550 installed, sound problem solved! bass seems low but thas probably the unit settings, thanks for everyones usefull info!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed an aftermarket HU in my sedan but now the system is not as loud???