Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Installed an aftermarket HU in my sedan but now the system is not as loud???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2008 | 11:10 AM
|
Thumbs down Installed an aftermarket HU in my sedan but now the system is not as loud???

What's up guys?

I just installed a Pioneer Avic-F900BP in my 2003 Sedan (Bose system equiped). I used the Metra hardness 70-7551 to installed the radio and everything works perfectly

Now, even though everything works great on the radio, i noticed that my system is not as loud as the stock HU anymore. Even at the Avic's Max volume you have to drive with the windows up while driving on the expressway to be able to hear the songs otherwise you can barely hear it. I remember with my stock radio, I rarely (if i ever) cranked up the volume to its max from how load it was... any ideas on how I could increase the volume on my system?

Old 11-04-2008 | 11:29 AM
The bose system is expecting differential signals for the left and right audio. Does this HU have the same output? Does it have the same peak-to-peak amplitude as the factory HU? Some things to check out. Also, the bose is 2-ohms but that shouldn't make a difference since the bose amp is still in the trunk.

Old 11-04-2008 | 11:36 AM
|
If you're refering to the pioneer HU having front L/R and Rear L/R outputs (RCAs) it does and i "think" i connected them correctly. Unless you're referring to the actualy power coming out of the HU outputs in which case i have no way to test that out.

Old 11-04-2008 | 11:43 AM
I had this same problem. I eventually swapped out the bose amp for an aftermarket one.

Anyway, I think this is why people go with the scosche line converter so they have the option to adjust and tweak the low-level output gain.

The metra or even a direct connection to the rca's has set level/gain which may not be enough for the bose amp. Even if it was enough, it might be looking for "balanced" signals which further complicates the compability.

It's just a pain in the a$$ to make any aftermarket equipment work with Bose.

Old 11-04-2008 | 11:50 AM
it's because the Pioneer has WEAK preout voltages...you can get a line driver or a headunit with at least 5V preout voltages.

Old 11-04-2008 | 12:29 PM
|
Originally Posted by Deezflip
I had this same problem. I eventually swapped out the bose amp for an aftermarket one.

Anyway, I think this is why people go with the scosche line converter so they have the option to adjust and tweak the low-level output gain.

The metra or even a direct connection to the rca's has set level/gain which may not be enough for the bose amp. Even if it was enough, it might be looking for "balanced" signals which further complicates the compability.

It's just a pain in the a$$ to make any aftermarket equipment work with Bose.
Is this the one you're talking about?

Do you think it'll make a difference? I mean I dont mind giving it a try but i went with the RCA hardness because supposetly the ones without it create a humming noise (dont what is to call it LOL)

blklude98

What's a line driver? the getting another HU isnt really an option for me since i already bought the one i have and cant return it (not without a restocking fee that is)

Old 11-04-2008 | 12:48 PM
|
Originally Posted by blklude98
it's because the Pioneer has WEAK preout voltages...you can get a line driver or a headunit with at least 5V preout voltages.
I'm guessing you're suggesting something like this?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...ix+-GRAY-.html

I dont mind giving it a try if its going to help me out to increase volume

Old 11-04-2008 | 01:55 PM
I have the exact same problem. I installed a kenwood ddx6019 a week ago and it does not get nearly half way as loud as my stock sterio would. its depressing because my stock sterio would get a lot louder, with the windows down, its hard to hear music on the kenwood HU, any help would be appreciated

Old 11-04-2008 | 02:44 PM
|
Originally Posted by L7nx
I have the exact same problem. I installed a kenwood ddx6019 a week ago and it does not get nearly half way as loud as my stock sterio would. its depressing because my stock sterio would get a lot louder, with the windows down, its hard to hear music on the kenwood HU, any help would be appreciated
Based on the replies i've gotten here, we have several options to go with in order to get a higher volume/gain. Another thing to look at is that all the suggestions here are different price range from $40 for the scosche hardness with gain controller to at least $100/$200 for a line driver... but at least we know there is a solution LOL

Old 11-04-2008 | 02:58 PM
Well its satisfying to know there are solutions, but i'm just curious why this hasnt happened to everyone else who installs double din units? I'm thinking they go alot, new subs, amps, and in our case, we are settleing with the stock bose other then the HU. After a few pm's with Gilley, he is very knowledgeable about audio components, i dont know **** about, and i gues its very complicated when it comes with messing with the bose.

one thing my friend suggested who installed my unit was to splice into the factory amp/sub harness tothe HU, rather than use RCA? i'm clueless about wires,etc, so i dont know if this might work or make sense?

Old 11-04-2008 | 03:10 PM
|
The reason for not everyone having the same problem is because not all radios have the same preout voltage (in my case the Pioneer Avic-F900BT puts out 2.2V) so depending on what other guys are using they may get better results.
And going with your friend's advise, that means that you'll have to use a hardness like this one:

rather than using one with RCAs for speakers like the one I've used (shown on the my original post)

I'm still trying to find what is the quickest solution for this. I may go with the SCOSCHE adapter but not final yet. Whatever info I find out i'll share it with you.

Old 11-04-2008 | 03:27 PM
Thanks, please let me know what trial and error you go with, as i will do myself as well. i really want to get this fixed, its not like i bump my music everytime i'm driving, but itsreally annoying that the max volume isnt even sufficient enough to listen to while driving

Old 11-04-2008 | 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by williamjv
Is this the one you're talking about?
yes that's the one...scosche actually have several models that does the exact same thing. I believe I've seen the ones at walmart which is a blue housing.

Originally Posted by williamjv
Do you think it'll make a difference? I mean I dont mind giving it a try but i went with the RCA hardness because supposively the ones without it create a humming noise (dont what is to call it LOL)
I thought about the humming/ground noise with line converters also. Some people had success with them, some people didn't. I didn't bother trying it and bought a cheap, used, 4-channel rockford amp instead. Eventhough it wasn't a gazillion watts, I figure anything was better than the stock bose amp. It sounds amazing and manage to get more bass response from the factory bose speakers. I wired my speakers to keep resistance at 4ohms, but I lost my fadar options.

I did spend additional money on cables and RCAs just to power the Rockford It's just a domino affect with upgrading the stereo.

Old 11-04-2008 | 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by L7nx
one thing my friend suggested who installed my unit was to splice into the factory amp/sub harness tothe HU, rather than use RCA? i'm clueless about wires,etc, so i dont know if this might work or make sense
another way I can suggest is using the headunit's amp(if it has one).

You might have to run speaker wires from the headunit to tap into the speaker leads by the bose amp(completely bypass the bose amp). You might have to lose the fadar option this way, since you have to wire them in series to get 4ohms. 4ohms will keep your headunit amp stable.

good luck

Old 11-04-2008 | 04:39 PM
I would bypass as much as that Bose garbage as possible.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed an aftermarket HU in my sedan but now the system is not as loud???