Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Can I Reuse Stock Speakers ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to add a 4-channel amp to a stock (non-Bose) system and only replace the front speakers? Will the rear speakers be able to handle the added power? Will they even add to the sound or am I better off just installing a 2-channel amp and just the front speakers?

Thanks for anyone's help.

Jason

Old 06-07-2004, 11:49 PM
Re: Can I Reuse Stock Speakers ???

What you asking is possible, but I'd recommend that you not worry about the rear speakers. The stock speakers are low quality, and their impedance isn't the standard 4 ohms.

Depending on the front speakers you purchase, and the amp you decide on, you may have a problem where the amp can't handle the fronts and rears with different impedances. Get some good quality fronts and a decent amp and you won't miss the rears. Or, if you do miss them, buy some $69.99 after-market speakers to replace 'em.

Good luck.

Old 06-07-2004, 11:57 PM

Well I decided to go with the following components:

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 6.5" Components
PPI PCX-250 Amp (50 watts per channel)

Can you do me a favor and check out the specs for this amp and the speakers to see if the amp will provide enough power?

They are at these 2 web pages:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Kl3GGsq...search=perfect

http://store.yahoo.com/discave/pcprpo2chcar5.html

I like this amp also because it accepts high level inputs so I don't need to install a line-out-converter to go in between the stock HU and the aftermarket amp.

What do you think?

Thanks alot.

Jason

Old 06-08-2004, 01:17 AM

Looks like a great setup. Very nice speakers, and a solid amp.
I used PPI amps in my G, and have been very happy with them. I also liked the fact that I didn't nead line converters.

I think that system should sound great.

Old 06-08-2004, 04:39 AM

Yes, you can run a 4 channel aftermarket amp on the stock speakers without any troubles. They are a lower impedance, but that's not typically a problem, because most stereo 2 and 4 channel amps are stable down to 2 ohms per channel when in stereo mode anyway. The PPI amp you listed, for example, runs 100w per channel if the load is 2 ohms. 4 channel amps couldn't care less that you have differing impedances between channels 1 & 2 (front) vs. 3 & 4 (rear). After all, some people bridge 3 & 4 to run a sub.

I much prefer the sound of having the stock rear speakers filling in at a moderately low level, vs. not having them on at all. For me they handle the task of doing rear fill perfectly, I can't justify spending any money to replace them. If you go this route, do use a 4 channel amp instead of trying to use the Bose amp though, an aftermarket amp will allow you to enable the crossover function, which will relieve them from trying to play the subwoofer frequencies, and in turn allow them to handle more power. I've run the stock Bose rears for a few months off a 100x4 amp without any issues. I figure if I do blow them up I'll replace them at that time. For a couple weeks, I ran all of the stock speakers off this amp until I got the new fronts installed. Worked very well.

Nycg35, the guy who did the nice DIY's with pictures, is also running the stock speakers off of his amps. For someone that's detailed the procedure of getting TO the speakers he seems awfully determined not to actually replace them. Replacing the fronts makes an amazing difference though.

-- Rob

Old 06-08-2004, 10:12 AM

Yes, most good amps can handle down to 2 ohms, but not all good amps like to handle both a 4 ohm load and a 2 ohm load at the same time.
Bridging confuses the issue.

Old 06-08-2004, 10:13 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

<hr></blockquote>They don't work too well as ashtrays...the crappy paper cones are too easy to set on fire.

04 G35s 6MT BS Aero Kit/Nav/Prem
Warning: Objects in Mirror Are Losing!

Old 06-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Location: Centerburg, Ohio (the geographical center of the Buckeye State)
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried to use the stock speakers as refirgerator magnets to post family pix on the ol' icebox. My daughter's alphabet magnets worked better than the stock speakers. lol

Old 06-09-2004, 01:55 AM

premium rears vs. non premium rears?

after reading dr. bob's comment, i think i would love to save the extra $100 on the rears by leaving in the stock but i have non premium. is there a big difference between the bose and nonpremium for rear fill?