Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

XBOX 360 in my G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by SDGeneralCounsel
game systems in cars are stupid
Why is that? I had passengers and they would always want to play. Sometimes it's much more entertaining than listening to music.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to be honest I wouldn't put a 360 in there... unless you have a decent sized screen (15"+) with a quality picture
also the 360 is more of a computer and is likely going to be more of a pain than you tihnk to get a proper picture out of it due to it's current consumption (you'll end up with lines and fuzzy picture)

Old 01-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by TroysG
to be honest I wouldn't put a 360 in there... unless you have a decent sized screen (15"+) with a quality picture
also the 360 is more of a computer and is likely going to be more of a pain than you tihnk to get a proper picture out of it due to it's current consumption (you'll end up with lines and fuzzy picture)
I'll vouch for this. With the SNES I saw everything just fine. When I had the 360 on my Alpine W200 (7" widescreen IIRC, maybe 6.5"), it was quite fuzzy and when it prompted to press a certain button, light RT, you couldn't even see what it said. I had a PS One hooked up for kicks and it was fine...playing Gran Turismo 2, lol.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SDGeneralCounsel
game systems in cars are stupid
So agreed.

Why play a game in a car when you could hook it up to a nice big flat screen with surround sound, a nice chair, in a cozy room at home?

In a car... there's not much room, can't really get that comfortable, it's likely on a small screen (unless you have a 50" in your trunk), you're wasting your AC/heat/battery/gas playing in your car... even if your car is on and you're driving and a passenger is playing, that is incredibly unsafe/distracting to the driver and you should be arrested for careless driving.

Besides... how many times have you had the urge to play 360 while in a car? If you've had that urge many times... can you not wait to just drive home and play comfortably and safely?

Old 01-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by FlSHRFun
So agreed.

Why play a game in a car when you could hook it up to a nice big flat screen with surround sound, a nice chair, in a cozy room at home?

In a car... there's not much room, can't really get that comfortable, it's likely on a small screen (unless you have a 50" in your trunk), you're wasting your AC/heat/battery/gas playing in your car... even if your car is on and you're driving and a passenger is playing, that is incredibly unsafe/distracting to the driver and you should be arrested for careless driving.

Besides... how many times have you had the urge to play 360 while in a car? If you've had that urge many times... can you not wait to just drive home and play comfortably and safely?
There is no possible way that it wastes gas, heat, or AC, so I'm not sure how that is possible. As for the battery, it doesn't draw too much current, depending on the console. I haven't tried a PS2, but I know anything equivalent to an N64 and below will run of a 150w AC converter, and you don't have to use the cigarette, lighter, you just run the positive to the battery and fuse it and run the negative to a ground.

Amplifiers will draw much more current, so in theory, it's not as bad.

As far as being distracting to the driver, yes, it can be, but if the driver can pay attention to the road then I see no problem, and it certainly doesn't make them a bad or careless driver and should be arrested. I guess a the driver should also be arrested for careless driving when talking to a passenger directly next to them, because that is just as distracting as catching a glimpse of what is on the screen...or say even changing the disc or track on the head unit, that's JUST as distracting as well.

It is much more comfortable to play in an environment with a larger screen and more room, but doesn't mean it can't be fun in the car, or that it is uncomfortable....if that is the case, then sitting in the car itself means it is uncomfortable.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but it seems like it's being made a bigger deal than it really is. I have seen people with multiple TV's on and there is only one person in the vehicle, that's just stupid because the person is craving attention...so let it be, let them get the attention of the boys (and girls) in blue. And if you want to state that it is distracting to other drivers, yep, sure is...but so is an accident, because pretty much EVERYBODY has to slow down and look, even though it's on the opposite side of the road.

IMHO, it all boils down to the driver's self control, how aware they are, etc. A good driver can keep their mind off distractions like their passengers playing a video game, kids nagging and arguing, accidents on the road, best friends having sex in the back seat, or whatever it may be. Driving involves two things... 1) Concentration and 2) Skill and I would put my money that it is probably a 5:1 ratio, because you can have all the skill in the world, but if you are easily distracted, you can find yourself wrapped around a light pole.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all of this is true too. A producer once told me 'if they can afford a next-gen system they can afford a screen bigger than 13"'.

They don't make these games to be played on ICE-sized screens. Unless you're just trying to look baller for the sake of baller, either go old-school console or a carputer that's designed for the rigors of driving.

Last edited by maxuz; 01-20-2009 at 12:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I often think about how cool it would be if i could play GOW2 while cruising down the highway. Watching the road is REALLY boring