Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

No more need for a carputer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: No more need for a carputer

I never said it was a groundbreaking application or approaching the "limits" of what a carputer can do. Far from it. Animation is great if tastefully done, but in the grand scheme of things, pretty low on my priority scale when it comes to a good UI design.

I totally agree about the safety issue. Personally I wouldn't want such a system without lots of hard-button controls for common functions (volume, track change, presets, etc) to go along with it. From reading their pages it does seem that they at least integrate with a volume **** and other external controls. Heck, I don't even like touch screen remote controls for my home AV system, let alone a car where my eyes must be focused on the road for safety reasons. It's not an ideal UI, and it could use some work, but I've seen much much worse. They may have wanted to make it database driven for easier customization and integration with third party apps. That's usually how you end up this sort of UI monotony, particularly in the first version. I honestly just don't feel I can truly judge it, without seeng and using it in person.

I do look forward to seeing what you've done with your software.

-- Rob

Old 06-16-2004, 01:35 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

..... Might as well have a laptop with FM modulator and wireless connection. I am not going to spend thousands to watch DVD on a puny screen~

Old 06-16-2004, 11:23 AM

Well said, although I would prefer a tablet PC using a PAC aux input device instead of a FM modulator.

Old 06-16-2004, 11:34 AM

i was just thinking of how well an mp3 player (like a nomad, not an ipod) would sound through an FM mod. anyone have experience with it? it's just a thought as of now but if it sounds as clear as mp3's do on the computer then i may look into it further.

and i must have missed the whole discussion on this PAC aux device. can someone explain to me what it is, how it's used, it's sound quality, and how much it costs?

if any of these questions have been answered already somewhere else i apologize, but any direction would help out, thanks a lot

Jeff
2004.5 G35 Coupe
5AT / Black on Black / Premium / Splash
soon: 35% tint, some custom box, JL sub/amp (not sure which yet)

Old 06-16-2004, 12:27 PM

G35Rush, if you click to the next page of this forum you will find the first of many threads devoted to the PAC audio device. Another way is to use the search facility and put PAC in the subject. You will be reading for quite a while depending on the amount of days you chose to read responses from.

Old 06-17-2004, 03:15 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

PAC-AUX device simply allows you to connect any 2 Audio inputs to the stock headunit using the SAT button to switch between the two sources (two pairs of red/white RCA's)

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake/AVIC-N1-double-din