Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

New Viper 5701 Installed but....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Viper 5701 Installed but....

Here is the deal guys. I had a viper 5701 installed. I bought it from a guy on the forum and it was a great deal. Well, I get to Bestbuy and ask if all the OEM features such as window roll down will be enabled and if the defrost will work from the remote. Bestbuy tells me yes all the OEM feature will work just the same and you won't lose any functionality. Well I get there after the install and three things. First is the windows don't roll down with the new fob but the old OEM one still works of course. He said I would have to buy an addon 100 bucks a window and 100 bucks a window to install. I told him I can get a 530t for 60 to 70 bucks and it handles both roll up and down for both windows. He looked shocked that I knew what I was talking about. I then asked him about the defrost feature and he said, "huh, didn't know about that". Then he goes on to explain that I have to do this for remote start. I have to start it remotely, no problem. Then before I can drive the car I have to shut it off, start the car again and then go. Not put in the key, press the brake and go like almost all other cars. He said it's something that Infiniti and Benz do. Does this jive with you guys? Have any others experienced the same thing?

Thanks

Old 01-28-2009, 12:57 PM
the window thing is normal.
the defrost, he just didn't do - probably forgot
The starter thing is probably to prevent grinding because he doesn't understand the anti grind relay. while the car is remote started hop in and put the key to on position. if it grinds ask him to put in the anti grind relay. if he doesn't know how to do it lemme know and I'll dig it up.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks bud

The windows was a long shot I figured but the defrost not working and the fact that I have to stop the car and start it again is stupid. As soon as I hit the break the car stops. I will go and see if the starter grinds. Thanks bud.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Hmm

Ok, I went ahead and started it and put in the key and turned it and the car did not grind. I put my foot on the break, the 2 way fob made the sound that the car was shutting down but the OEM alarm led is in an always on state meaning that the remote start is still what is running correct? He said he does not think it is safe for me to get in and go because it could lock out the car? This all seems janky to me and at 200 bucks I would think they would have done it right 6 hours later. Plus they put 10 miles on my car which I said nothing about. Thanks for input.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:57 PM
if he used/wired up the bypass properly you shouldn't have lockout issues. the 5701 I have in my car once it's disarmed it can stay unlocked for weeks. (as I proved to myself while the car is sitting in storage - forgot to lock it). the factory alarm arms/disarms with the locks. He would have had to program it to unlock-remote start-lock in order to avoid the alarm from going off.
at most they should have put MAYBE a mile - I used to work at a best buy affiliate up in Canada, I'd get on their asses about the 10.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
i have the viper 5900 installed... once i remote start it, i just turn the ignition to ON and press on the brake.. from then on, i just drive off..
i don't have to shut it off and turn it back on again..

Old 01-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Cool thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. See I can get in the car and go. I press the brake and the key fob does the little sound it does but the led on the dash next to the clock / temp is always on. He said that the remote start is in a "cycle" then and it needs a "complete cycle" to be working properly. I just think it sucks I can't get in and go. The 5900 is not that different so I think I'll call a couple best buy locations and see what they say.

Thanks again.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:24 PM
ya best to call around to other viper dealerships in the area, ask them if they've doen that with other gs

Old 01-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Yea, windows will not roll up... If the installer knows how to program it you can do the window rolldown from the new fob though.

Installer has to go to the lock/unlock wires that go to the key cylinder in the driver side with one of the aux wires or unlock wire & program it to send a longer unlock pulse to get your windows to roll down. Long story short rolldown can be done.

As far as turning your car off before remotestarting it is true some cars you'll have to do this for, fords are an example. I don't think you need to for our g's, not 100% sure on that though. I'd also check around, but bby is insured so you should be good if anything goes wrong etc...

Old 01-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks to all

Originally Posted by Jameschoun
Yea, windows will not roll up... If the installer knows how to program it you can do the window rolldown from the new fob though.

Installer has to go to the lock/unlock wires that go to the key cylinder in the driver side with one of the aux wires or unlock wire & program it to send a longer unlock pulse to get your windows to roll down. Long story short rolldown can be done.

As far as turning your car off before remotestarting it is true some cars you'll have to do this for, fords are an example. I don't think you need to for our g's, not 100% sure on that though. I'd also check around, but bby is insured so you should be good if anything goes wrong etc...
Thanks to everyone that replied. I do appreciate it. It simply sounds like he had not installed one of these in a G before. I will go from there.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea, it sounds like the guy just didn't know what he was doing. I installed my Clifford 3.3X (same as the 5701) myself and I have none of the issues you are talking about. On a bonus side, you can get window rollup/rolldown with NO additional parts like Jameschoun said. It isn't linked to the unlock/lock buttons, but you can easily connect 2 of the auxillary outputs (1 for up, 1 for down) to the keyswitch and use the 5701 FOB to roll up and roll down. I know it works, I did it on my car

Old 01-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a similar system to yours, but by python. 2 way pager, etc etc etc. I took my car to circuit city and they installed it for me. I have a 6mt, and they installed the remote start for me. I just have to make sure that the car is never in gear. I don't have to turn off the car when i get in, all i have to do is put the key in, and move it in the on position, and off we go.

They did the window down for me, buy holding the unlock button, they did the window up for me, by just pressing the lock button. They made sure that when the car starts, the lights come on, and when i start driving, the doors lock automatically.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:28 AM
This is exactly why I would never let Best Buy/Circut City install anything into my car. If I do not know how to install it, I go to a friend of mine that works at Stereo City here in San Diego, they will install it for me if I do not know how. Also, I will be right there with them so that I will know how to do the install for future reference. But never will I ever go to Best Buy or Circut City to have anyting installed or even to buy anything, buying audio products that are over priced is a waste. Besides there are more than a few places areound here that deal with high end cars that know what they are doing. So Best Buy is not even a thought.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gwilli3272
This is exactly why I would never let Best Buy/Circut City install anything into my car. If I do not know how to install it, I go to a friend of mine that works at Stereo City here in San Diego, they will install it for me if I do not know how. Also, I will be right there with them so that I will know how to do the install for future reference. But never will I ever go to Best Buy or Circut City to have anyting installed or even to buy anything, buying audio products that are over priced is a waste. Besides there are more than a few places areound here that deal with high end cars that know what they are doing. So Best Buy is not even a thought.
Errr.. Circuit City did an excellent job installing my alarm/auto starter. I didn't even ask them for the auto window up feature and they did it. They also did the auto trunk open button for me as well. They worked on my 3000gt vr4, they worked on my toyota highlander, they worked on my friends eclipse. They have also worked on a few forum members here as well.

It isn't about the name of the company, but the installers themselves. The circuit city that I go to have great installers. But then I can't say the same for the other 599 circuit city stores. Same principle should go for best buy or any other installation company.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Great for you but...

Originally Posted by gwilli3272
I am in Kansas City and I do not have a friend that is an installer. I did buy the part from a very cool person on this forum at a great price but from all the forum posts I just didn't want to deal with the install and since bb guarantees their work I felt ok. I did end up calling another bb and lucked out. The guy has had 2 350z and a G. He has an 07 350 now and he said he would take care of me and get this fixed. He said the guy just didn't know what he was doing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Viper 5701 Installed but....