Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Which JL audio set up do i go with?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donpisto
If going with 2 subs and if they are single voice coil then i'd go with 2 2 ohms or 2 8 ohms, won't make a difference since they will both wire to 4 ohms. If going with 1 sub, then single 4 ohm.

If you go to google and type rockford wiring wizard and click the link for it, you can choose up to 4 subs and different wiring configurations to determine what you can wire the subs to.
I am only using 1 sub.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by TroysG
depends on your goal of output vs sound quality, and power/capabilities of your amp(s)
The impedence does not change sound quality. All impedence is, is a wiring configuration. Sure, amplifiers will be more efficient at a higher impedence, but if trying to compare one amp @ 1 ohm and another at 4 ohms, that right there is an invalid and inaccurate test since they are two different amps.

On the same amp you will have different output levels, but sound quality is not going to be affected. At that point it depends on the sub. Subs with different wiring options have nearly identical t/s parameters and it will not change sound quality. Even IF it did, you are not going to hear the difference.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by donpisto
If going with 2 subs and if they are single voice coil then i'd go with 2 2 ohms or 2 8 ohms, won't make a difference since they will both wire to 4 ohms. If going with 1 sub, then single 4 ohm.

If you go to google and type rockford wiring wizard and click the link for it, you can choose up to 4 subs and different wiring configurations to determine what you can wire the subs to.
I am only using 1 sub.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:44 PM
I know the impedence doesn't change sound quality but it does change the amount of power my amp is pushing! Each of the subs are rated the same power handling regardless if impedence, but at 4ohms my amp us pushing 300rms and at 2ohm it's pushing 500rms. So my question is, what is a better amount of power for the w3 (or w6) ?? 300rms or 500rms??

Old 03-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by NaiveRapture
I know the impedence doesn't change sound quality but it does change the amount of power my amp is pushing! Each of the subs are rated the same power handling regardless if impedence, but at 4ohms my amp us pushing 300rms and at 2ohm it's pushing 500rms. So my question is, what is a better amount of power for the w3 (or w6) ?? 300rms or 500rms??
I was referring to TroysG.

For a single sub, run the w3 at 4 ohms (thus single 4 ohm). If getting the w6, run it at 2 ohms (since its a dual 4). I'd personally get the W6 and then upgrade the amp down the line for better output.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:49 PM
I wrote that unaware he was only running 1 sub I was assuming that he was going to be running 2 subs. But if you have a keep ear for accurate bass running a 1 ohm load on an amp running a 4ohm load on the same amp there is a difference in sound quality. I'm assuming you've never been part of an SQL build.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:41 PM
I wrote that unaware he was only running 1 sub I was assuming that he was going to be running 2 subs. But if you have a keep ear for accurate bass running a 1 ohm load on an amp running a 4ohm load on the same amp there is a difference in sound quality. I'm assuming you've never been part of an SQL build.
The difference between one sub and two will be noticeable in output, not quality. I guarantee you that. Human ears are not that great in the first place, because our minds are far superior and what we THINK we hear overcome what we actually hear. Only way is to have someone else do a test where you you play a setup with one load and then the same one, nothing changed, except for the load, right after and not stating which is which. I guarantee you can't tell the difference.

As for an SQL build, technically there is no such thing. If anything is LSQ, loud sound quality. Sound quality itself is not determined by any one person and there is no specific measurement for it, unless you are saying an IASCA judge counts, but then that's all personal preference. SQ attempts to reproduce music through your vehicle the way it was recorded. That's SQ.

Now, SPL, I have had a couple setups for SPL purposes, but not pure SPL to where I threw 10,000w to a single sub for a 3 second burp.

If you want to talk about getting loud and sounding good, I have plenty of experience, about 5 strong years worth. I literally have owned more equipment than some shops I have seen and I'm not talking about low end stuff. Not necessarily high end, although I have owned several high end products that most people would pass on, such as an amplifier that retails for $3,000.

You claim too much crap IMO. There are several things you have stated, in other threads not just this one, that is completely mis-informing. You have even gone back on what you have said and talked in circles. I'm not here to create a war, battle, etc, rather to tell you know what you are talking about rather than blab about something and think you know.

Talk to any audiophile and they will tell you that there is a small percentage of people that would actually tell the difference in sound quality between an amp @ 1 ohm and 4 ohms. First off, that's not even possible unless you have a regulated power supply. If you look at amplifiers, they generally tend to put out more power @ 1 and 2 ohms than at 4 ohms. JL slash series, Alpine PDX, Phoenix Gold Xenon, and a few other amps put out the same power at 2 and 4 ohms, and some at 1 - 4 ohms and you are not going to notice a difference. I can GUARANTEE you that. Nobody has super ears, but people will think that just because you run an amp at a higher impedence it's going to provide better sound quality, that's not true. Take a legacy amp @ 4 ohms and an Audison amp at 1 ohm, the Audison will provide a better signal.

Speaking of signals, that's all that an amplifier does. An amplifier sends a signal to the speaker or sub. The signal is determined by the gain, it's not a volume **** as some may think. Just because it gets louder when you turn up the signal does not mean the volume is being increased, it's the actual signal that is being increased.

Yes, an amplifier has something to do with sound quality. Get a non-efficient amp, something that gets hot, something using cheap caps, resisters, mosfets, etc then you will have a worse quality amp. The speaker or subwoofer is a huge factor when it comes to how something actually sounds. The materials used, the design, it's individual t/s parameters all contirbute to whether a sub will sound good or not.

Last is the enclosure itself. Through a crappy sub in a very well designed enclosure and it can sound better than a high end driver in a poorly designed enclosure.

Again, I'm not hear to start an argument, but you really need to know what you are talking about. I speak not just through years of experience, but actually researching. I'm not master, I'm no pro, but I hold quite a bit of knowledge when it comes to car audio. I've seen you regurgitate information I've seen plenty of people spit out on audio forums and the fact of the matter is that they only agree with something or say something just because they heard it from someone or because they think it's from a reliable source.

I know you have posted substantially in regards to audio posts and you do provide great input in numerous threads, it's just that I find too many inaccuracies in several of them.

And to answer your question whether or not I have done an SQL build, well, like I said if you want to call it that, yes I have. I have done about 6 setups or so. My previous one never got finished since I got in an accident and dont have the vehicle anymore. It was going to be 4 PDX 1.1000's (one for each coil) on an 18" TC Sounds TC-5200 (aka the Eclipse Titanium Pro) in 3.5 cube sealed. I had a 5th amp (4.150) for the Zapco CK mids and tweeters. I was using an Alpine H701 processor with the Alpine w200 head unit. All the amps and processor were going to be mounted in the spare tire well. The sub was going to face the cabin and I was going to seal it off so I had maximum output going into the cabin.

Prior to that setup I had the same sub in 5 cu. ft. on an RF t30001bd, @ 2 ohms. That setup alone was doing 140 db and possible low 140's on the Term Lab, legal setup (on dash, windows rolled up, vehicle off). That was on music as well and even at 32 Hz. My setup I described just before was going to do low 140's on music without a problem, especially since I had an HO alt that put out 170A and I had 2 Odyssey PC 2150 batteries (those used in the military HumVee's in the trunk). If I really wanted to go crazy, I would have increased the enclosure space to 6 cu. ft. sealed and thrown 5,000w rms to it. All this would still have been able to keep up with the 4 speakers I was running (2 Zapco mids and 2 Zapco tweeters)...I was still aiming for the properties of SQ by having a setup that is centered and time aligned properly, along with a setup that blends. Sure, 5k with an 18" sub doesn't blend that well at full tilt, but thats why you have an external processor to attenuate the sub level along with the deck's controls as well, and I could always reduce the gain so the sub gets less of a signal.

People that have seen my setup, such as friends and random people have been very impressed. I only wish I could have shown fellow friends I have met on this forum. One day I plan to get another vehicle and do a similar setup, but for now I'm sticking with something simple in the G... a single 15 as opposed two 15's IB or a single 18 sealed. I want to maintain trunk space and build based on efficiency. Hopefully I'll be doing mid 130's on music with a single 15 on 500w. It's highly possible as I've done 135.7 on sine waves with a single 10 gettin 750w in a .7 cu ft enclosure with air leaks. That is all.

Last edited by The Stimulation; 03-06-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:45 PM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
^^HOLY LONG POST, ahha some1 got owned good job bro

Old 03-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ding Ding Ding

"GAME OVERRRRRR"

donpisto (aKa Audio King) Wins!!!

Old 03-06-2009, 05:06 PM
I can appreciate a lot of the info that you post up about but the fact of the matter is that you're an elitist with audio. The reason why my posts are "inaccurate" is that you don't have to overload people with information. As for my "regurgitating" I don't go on any audio forums, because I really don't care that much. I've installed for 5 years. Assisted on SQ setups (why I typed the L I have no clue but it happened). And your *** gets ripped apart in competitions if wiring isn't clean, documented, and if you've wired to 2 ohm where 4 ohm is "required". Ask any REAL SQ competitor/builder and they'll tell you there's a slight difference but there still is a difference. It comes down to trained ears. And I have NEVER heard a SOUND QUALITY 15" sub. I'm willing to hear the difference though. Anyways, I really don't care about your life/installations, as I've previously stated you and I will RARELY see eye to eye on anything. So I'll just let you overload audio newbies, and I'll wait till someone says "can I get a translation" to help out.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Your saying it like people everyday sit and listen to to **** all day and train their ears. I didnt know there was a boot camp for stuff like that.
People cant tune their ears to hear any better.
You want to hear better, clean your fvcking ears lol

Clearly donpisto has more knowledge than you do in this field.
And i'll just leave it at that.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I can appreciate a lot of the info that you post up about but the fact of the matter is that you're an elitist with audio. The reason why my posts are "inaccurate" is that you don't have to overload people with information. As for my "regurgitating" I don't go on any audio forums, because I really don't care that much. I've installed for 5 years. Assisted on SQ setups (why I typed the L I have no clue but it happened). And your *** gets ripped apart in competitions if wiring isn't clean, documented, and if you've wired to 2 ohm where 4 ohm is "required". Ask any REAL SQ competitor/builder and they'll tell you there's a slight difference but there still is a difference. It comes down to trained ears. And I have NEVER heard a SOUND QUALITY 15" sub. I'm willing to hear the difference though. Anyways, I really don't care about your life/installations, as I've previously stated you and I will RARELY see eye to eye on anything. So I'll just let you overload audio newbies, and I'll wait till someone says "can I get a translation" to help out.
Being an installer doesn't mean anything to me. Neither does MECP certified mean anything to me because I have seen the level of audio knowledge some of them actually have. So you telling me you have worked on SQ vehicles and installed for 5 years means nothing to me.

A sub doesn't make a setup an SQ setup, it's the way the system is put together. Obviously you haven't realized the advantages of a larger subwoofer, besides cone area. I know a guy that actually competes with 2 DD 9915's, what most ppl would say is an SPL setup, which he actually uses for that as well. He is an SQ competitor too. For SPL comps, he's managed over 150 dB easily.

As you can tell, in my previous post I mentioned that there is a slight difference but hardly anyone will notice, even the most trained ears will find it difficult to notice an audible difference. It will also be minute to which the point is moot to someone not competing in SQ.

The 15" sub I plan to use is an oldschool 15w6, never said I'm going for sq, but again, sq is the setup itself, not necessarily the equipment. There really aren't subs made FOR sq, but subs that can be used in SQ setups.

I can provide simple answers, but I find it it sometimes best to go into detail so that people can learn.

Again, you have provided input where you contradict yourself, I can even post that for you if you'd like. For being an installer for 5 years, such a mistake should not be made on something so simple. That said, I wouldn't want to take my vehicle to you for an install. I'm in no way cocky, but when I know something I'll stand up for it. If I don't know an answer, or when people tell me what would sound better, I won't say one sounds better than another if I haven't heard both, which is where most people fail, because they state what they have heard others say. Sure, I'll provide input on what I have heard and that's all I can do. The rest is up to the person wanting to know.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
Are dual speakers good...... ....jk!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Yes, when you want to do something like this to them...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TA87wxODAmo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TA87wxODAmo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Old 03-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Im running a 10w3v3 in a 480 box with a 500/1 and it pounds pretty good, I sunk my amps where my spare was and didnt really lose and trunk space like you would with a double woofer set up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which JL audio set up do i go with?