Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

I need some advice about the Bose System and Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I still can't understand why the bluetooth stuff has been removed... can you list out what parts are actually missing from your vehicle?
My guess would be what you were saying earlier about removing discrete parts that people wouldn't notice were missing right away to make some extra cash on the side....its pretty dick of them to do that, but some people don't give a **** about anyone but themselves.

I will be getting the list tomorrow from the dealer and I will post it here once I get it.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I got the itemized list of what parts were missing, I have them listed below:

Item/ Part Number/ Price

1. Bose Amplifier/ 28060-AC600/ $730.28
2. Bluetooth Control Unit/ 28335-CM40A/ $79.44
3. Wiring Harness/ 24014-CM40C/ $816.04
4. Labor - 7 hrs @ $95 per hour = $665

Plus taxes comes out to $2430.

I asked if they would install the parts if I got them from online somewhere or a junkyard and they said they would, but wouldn't warranty it, which makes sense I guess.

One thing that popped out at me is the discrepancy in price between the Bose Amp from Infiniti and that of the one I saw on ebay from one of the links posted. $730 versus $100 is a huge difference assuming the amp from ebay works and has all necessary parts/components that should come with it.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Premier Member

Received 421 Likes on 339 Posts
Before you even think about fixing it yourself you should be UP THAT DEALERS *** making sure that he knows that you are unhappy with the car and want it fixed. Some states have statutes that allow you to return a used car within 30 days for certain reasons. Get the quote from Infiniti, go to him and don't quit till he pays.

Also, get ahold of the advertising materials he used for the car, whether its online, print, or whatever. If the car's listed as having bluetooth or premium package with all options (which includes bluetooth) he's misrepresented the car and if nothing else works you can take him to small claims court and win.

It doesn't matter what he paid for the car or if he knew about the problem or not. He sold you a gutted car under the premise that it was in perfect working order and thats not right. Mentioning that you've "talked to your lawyer" might put him in a more helpful mindset

Sounds like a bad situation... good luck

Old 06-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by seymore4
Before you even think about fixing it yourself you should be UP THAT DEALERS *** making sure that he knows that you are unhappy with the car and want it fixed. Some states have statutes that allow you to return a used car within 30 days for certain reasons. Get the quote from Infiniti, go to him and don't quit till he pays.

Also, get ahold of the advertising materials he used for the car, whether its online, print, or whatever. If the car's listed as having bluetooth or premium package with all options (which includes bluetooth) he's misrepresented the car and if nothing else works you can take him to small claims court and win.

It doesn't matter what he paid for the car or if he knew about the problem or not. He sold you a gutted car under the premise that it was in perfect working order and thats not right. Mentioning that you've "talked to your lawyer" might put him in a more helpful mindset

Sounds like a bad situation... good luck
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I have talked to him about it and I sent him an itemized list of the items missing and the costs associated with them (basically what I posted above) and I also gave him the number of the service manager, assistant manager, and head technician who all know me by name. I encouraged him to call the service department and get details on what the issues with the set up are. I did find out from the infiniti dealer that the wiring harness they want to replace is the body harness which powers pretty much every electronic I think (he said it controls interior lights, radio, speakers, amp, etc). I asked him why my rear speakers are still working if the amp is completely gone and he said whoever removed the amp spliced some wires so that the rear speakers would be directly powered by the radio and that is why the volume is so low (he estimated that the rear speakers are probably only getting 3-5 watts of power the way that they are set up right now. I do remember his auto trader listing said it had premium package and he also stated to me several times that the full bumper to bumper warranty was in place (which is clearly not true for the electronics). I think I printed out the listing, but not sure if I kept it. At this point, he seems willing to help out, but we'll see what happens Saturday when I bring the car by.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Bose Amplifier/ 28060-AC600/ $730.28
2. Bluetooth Control Unit/ 28335-CM40A/ $79.44
3. Wiring Harness/ 24014-CM40C/ $816.04
4. Labor - 7 hrs @ $95 per hour = $665

Bose Amplifier -- get from ebay -- well, what infiniti charges for the amplifier is total crap for what it's truly worth -- so i'm not surprised it's only $100 on ebay.

Bluetooth -- seems cheap, you can probably get it %50 cheaper online

Wiring Harness -- yeah, this will be tough -- hard to find something like this any cheaper from a non-infiniti site -- try google for an infiniti parts site

Labor -- sorry, yer screwed here no matter what -- you might try asking what the labor rate is at a couple infiniti dealerships -- it's $80/hr by me (chicago) and you might try talking to the service manager -- tell him this is not warranty work and you'd go through with it if he took one or two hours off that labor charge.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:49 PM
you need to search the net for these parts -- here, i'll do it for you:

www.infinitipartsusa.com

BT control: $54.00
Wiring harness: $602.70
Ebay amplifier: $100
Labor: $665
-------------------------
$1421 total, without negotiating the labor rate

now, go get $1000-2000 back from the shady dealership you found yourself buying a car from and yer back in bizness

Old 06-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks, $1400 seems a lot more reasonable and I think I could get him to cover that or at least pretty close to it. Like you said, I may be able to make up another $100-200 bucks if I can get some of that labor shaved off. I am working in Augusta right now, so my choice on dealership is limited to one, but I will call around to dealerships in the Atlanta area and if I find a place that charges $80/hr like you, then that reduces labor by $100. I'm thinking, labor may be slightly cheaper in Atlanta because there is more competition as far as other Infiniti dealers. In Augusta, there is only 1 within 50 miles, so they can pretty much charge what they want.

The dealer I bought the car from actually has a very good reputation in my area, my dad's mechanic has bought several cars from him and said he is very trustworthy. He should have checked out all aspects of the car, but he screwed up, much like I screwed up by not looking into the electronics more before buying. I hope he rights the situation and this ends well.

Thanks for all the help, I think he may be on board with buying the harness and BT module online and buying the amp on Ebay. Question, do you have to have the stock bose amp for bluetooth to work or could I just buy an aftermarket 4 channel?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:40 PM
My advice is to stick with the stock components -- that way your warranty on this basically new-ish G is maintained -- Keep it stock -- after your warranty is up, do whatever the heck you want.

Glad to help -- always happy to help another G owner... you have a great car and I know you'll enjoy it once this madness is put behind you.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
i have the amp/voice box up for sale

pm me a price if you want it

its from my 06 g35 coupe, so i think they are the same, but i don't have the antenna that goes with the voice box, still using that

Old 06-10-2009, 10:00 PM
will 2007 stuff work in 2006 G's?

Old 06-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
^aren't they the same?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:39 AM
I know the 2006 equipment from the sedan won't work in the coupe, but I don't know if the 06 coupe equipment will work in the 07 coupe. What is the part number of the Bose Amplifier you have? If it matches the part number from what I posted above I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The dealer I bought the car from has agreed to buy the Bose amp and Bluetooth control unit, but is not sold on the wiring harness yet. He wants to get the two above items and see what is wrong with the harness before buying a new one. He said if the wiring harness is not salvageable, he will pay for a new one, but I think that's as far as he's going to go. I don't think he will pay for the labor. I'm going to at least try to get him to pay half of labor, but its not looking too good.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
... you have a great car and I know you'll enjoy it once this madness is put behind you.
Yeah, I've been a fan of the G since it came out in 2003...always wanted one, but it was slightly out of reach for me back then when I was in high school. Despite the issues I am having, mechanically the car has been sound and I still am giddy when I get to drive it....I am also a lot more inclined to go run errands. I also really enjoy the Borla exhaust...who needs a radio, haha...not quite, but it does fill the void until I get my current 5-10 watt stereo fixed.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:36 AM
keep in mind that if the dealership advertised the vehicle as having bluetooth capabilities and amps, then they are obligated, and you could threaten them with a lawsuit for fraud.

secondly, most states have a 90-day lemon law, indicating that you can bring the car back for a full refund if there is anything wrong (you will need to look up the specific details on that for your state, as they could vary).

basically, they are not allowed to sell you a car with non-working equipment unless they disclose it to you.

I would fight this to the bitter end (and don't rely on their invoice, that is just a grossed up figure to make you think that you are getting a good deal).

edit: i posted this without reading seymore4's posting, so basically I concur with that statement.

Last edited by jmcohen23; 06-12-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure what the policy in Georgia on used cars is. There was no warranty given with the car it was "As-Is" and I misplaced the printed ad from auto trader that listed what features were on the car. I don't think it called out bluetooth, but I do remember it said premium package, which is pretty much the same thing I guess. He definitely didn't tell me about those issues because when I called him about it he said he didn't even know they were issues. It wasn't an invoice price he showed me, it was the auction price that he showed me, basically showing minus taxes he made between $800-900 on the car.

Where would I go about finding the lemon laws on used cars. I did a quick search a second ago, found lemon laws for new cars. I saw a couple places talking about used cars, but it said if the car was sold "As-Is" then there is nothing you can do about it. That would seem to make sense if you buy a car and keep having to repair different items, but it doesn't really make sense in my case when the car was completely missing equipment that should have been included. Eh, I don't know. I'll have to do some more research later, when I'm not at work.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I need some advice about the Bose System and Bluetooth