Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

I need some advice about the Bose System and Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need some advice about the Bose System and Bluetooth

So I just ran into some problems with my bose stereo/bluetooth. I just got the car two weeks ago, it is a 2007 G35C with the Bose system and Bluetooth. When I bought it, I didn't really play around with the stereo or bluetooth, and the car is still under bumper to bumper warranty so I wasn't too concerned about it. I now know that was dumb of me, I think I was just so happy to get my dream car. Anyway, so once I started driving it, I figured out only two of the back speakers were working and the bluetooth was not working. I figured that the speakers may be blown and there might have been some wiring issues with the bluetooth steering controls.

I took it to the local Infiniti dealer and they told me that whoever owned the car prior to me, removed the Bose amp and the bluetooth receiver? (I don't know exactly what they said it was because I was just in shock). Basically whatever parts that allow the bluetooth to power up and makes the steering wheel controls on the left side work were missing. They said they could fix it, but since it was removed it wouldn't be covered under warranty and that it would cost $2400 to fix. So, needless to say, I am pissed at whoever removed that stuff, and at myself for not being more careful. However, whats done is done and I can't go back in the past. I did contact the dealer (Small local dealer) that I bought it from and he didn't seem to know that there was an issue. He told me to get an itemized list of what is missing and that he would do some research and go from there. He said that his wife has an 06 G35 sedan with the Bose package and bluetooth and that he may try putting her stuff in my car just to see if that really does solve the problem. If it does, he said we could figure something out from there.

Anyway, my question for anyone willing to answer it, is what can I do from here assuming the dealer I bought it from doesn't pay out of pocket to fix the problem? Is there a cheaper route I could go? Is there a way for an aftermarket installer to wire an aftermarket headunit/gps to the bluetooth controls and make it similar to how it is stock? I was also wondering how the Bose system works, are the two speakers I am hearing powered by a seperate amp or just from the stock head unit. I read somewhere that the Bose amp is a 6 channel amp, but don't know much more than that.

Basically, any information you guys can provide to help me make a decision/fix the problem would really help. Honestly, the bluetooth is the more important thing to me because I know I can buy an aftermarket system to alleviate the speaker problem. Do the Bose amp and bluetooth go hand and hand or can you get one fixed without the other?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I really appreciate it. I am shocked/pissed right now so I may have rambled a bit, so I apologize for that.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear about this man -- I guess buy beware from those small little mom & pop dealerships.

That being said, on to your problem:
1) No, you cannot put an aftermarket piece of equipment to replace the bluetooth unit as a factory accessory -- there is NO aftermarket receiver for your 2007 that'll replace the OEM receiver and incorporate bluetooth.

2) You CANNOT use the 2k6 equipment to replace yours -- what the salesman offers is just too outlandish to even consider serious -- why would he take that equipment out of his WIFE'S car (even if it DID work) just to make his customer happy? Wouldn't his wife be pissed??

3) You're kinda hosed. This is a small stealership, and your best route is to get compensated for the $2400 to fix this at the Infiniti dealership and then have a REPUTABLE infiniti dealership get the car up to spec.

4) As far as just getting the OEM sound system working -- yes, you cold probably get an aftermarket amplifier installed to power all the speakers, but you'd have to get it done by a pro. I'd rather see you get the OEM stuff installed and have your car then completely warranted from then on by Infiniti.

Sorry man

Old 06-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Wow. Sorry to hear about this man -- I guess buy beware from those small little mom & pop dealerships.

That being said, on to your problem:
1) No, you cannot put an aftermarket piece of equipment to replace the bluetooth unit as a factory accessory -- there is NO aftermarket receiver for your 2007 that'll replace the OEM receiver and incorporate bluetooth.

2) You CANNOT use the 2k6 equipment to replace yours -- what the salesman offers is just too outlandish to even consider serious -- why would he take that equipment out of his WIFE'S car (even if it DID work) just to make his customer happy? Wouldn't his wife be pissed??

3) You're kinda hosed. This is a small stealership, and your best route is to get compensated for the $2400 to fix this at the Infiniti dealership and then have a REPUTABLE infiniti dealership get the car up to spec.

4) As far as just getting the OEM sound system working -- yes, you cold probably get an aftermarket amplifier installed to power all the speakers, but you'd have to get it done by a pro. I'd rather see you get the OEM stuff installed and have your car then completely warranted from then on by Infiniti.

Sorry man
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I am not sure what he is talking about in regards to removing the equipment from his wife's car. I think what he is wanting to do is just test it that way to make sure that is the issue? I don't really know, but I doubt he is wanting to just put that in my car permanently, but I didn't get into it too much with him. So the equipment from the 06 won't work on the 07? Why is that? If he gave me the money to get this fixed properly by the dealer I would be ecstatic. The problem is, after the deal was final I asked him what he paid, and he showed me the amount and it was only about 800-900 less than what I paid, so I doubt he is going to eat all of his profit and then some.

Does $2400 seem like a legitimate amount to get that stuff fixed? It seems a little high to me. Is there somewhere to buy these stock parts from that may be cheaper and then take it to the dealer to be installed? I dunno, I guess I am just reaching now. The dealer seems like a good guy, maybe he will meet me half way or something.

Lesson learned I guess. The G is my dream car and I guess I got carried away with everything else and didn't examine the car like I should have (and normally do).

Old 06-08-2009, 06:35 PM
As a side note, I have another question about a totally unrelated topic, but didn't want to start a new thread. The gauge cluster on my car had what looked like dry Armorall spray or something on it when I bought the car, so I thought okay I'll just clean this off later. Well, I tried to clean it off and it didn't come off so I thought maybe its on the inside somehow. So I asked the infiniti dealer if they could clean the inside of the glass. They told me that it has been discolored by whatever sat on the glass for an extended period of time so I would have to replace it, giving me a quote of $1000 or close to it. My question is, is there a polish/mild abrasive I could just to remove the discoloration? If so, what would be a good product to try. If not, is there not a way to just buy the glass separately and replace it? It's not really a big deal, because its just some discolored spots, but it is one of those things that just annoys you every time you look at the gauge cluster which is quite often.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:42 PM
1) First of all -- i can't understand why anyone would remove the amplifier and the bluetooth equipment from the vehicle other than the fact that this car was sold and bought at an auction, and the seller wanted to sell some discrete parts additionally from the vehicle on the black market and make some side cash. THere is no reason that someone would remove the bose amp and the bluetooth system otherwise (not that my mind can come up with).

2) You could try google and search "infiniti parts" and search for all the itemized parts that the infiniti dealership states are missing -- and you'll probably save about 10-30% of the cost of parts, but installation will still be $80/hr at the dealership.

3) $2400 is the likely amount for all these parts, is it fair -- hell no.

4) The cluster gauge window: I would try using a mild glass detergent like windex or 409, and if that doesn't work, you can try using an alcohol based solvent (try in a small location FIRST before ruining the whole thing) to attempt to dissolve the chemical that has discolored the window. There are a whole bunch of products at your local Pepboys that'll just spruce it up and hopefully a wax-based chemical will get rid of most of the discoloration (temporarily mask it) but probably not be able to rid it from the plastic.

Can I ask -- how much exactly did you pay for this 2k7 G? I hope you got a stellar deal for it.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:19 PM
1) First of all -- i can't understand why anyone would remove the amplifier and the bluetooth equipment from the vehicle other than the fact that this car was sold and bought at an auction, and the seller wanted to sell some discrete parts additionally from the vehicle on the black market and make some side cash. THere is no reason that someone would remove the bose amp and the bluetooth system otherwise (not that my mind can come up with).

2) You could try google and search "infiniti parts" and search for all the itemized parts that the infiniti dealership states are missing -- and you'll probably save about 10-30% of the cost of parts, but installation will still be $80/hr at the dealership.

3) $2400 is the likely amount for all these parts, is it fair -- hell no.

4) The cluster gauge window: I would try using a mild glass detergent like windex or 409, and if that doesn't work, you can try using an alcohol based solvent (try in a small location FIRST before ruining the whole thing) to attempt to dissolve the chemical that has discolored the window. There are a whole bunch of products at your local Pepboys that'll just spruce it up and hopefully a wax-based chemical will get rid of most of the discoloration (temporarily mask it) but probably not be able to rid it from the plastic.

Can I ask -- how much exactly did you pay for this 2k7 G? I hope you got a stellar deal for it.
Yeah, I paid $20,500 OTD, it came with Borla exhaust, premium package (not really tho with the missing equipment), and spoiler. It has 33k miles

Old 06-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Anyone know the specs of the Bose amp in case I wanted to just get an aftermarket amp to replace it?

Old 06-08-2009, 09:07 PM
you outta look for a salvaged G -- car wreck and try to find the parts there... try ebay too

Old 06-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Old 06-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Old 06-08-2009, 09:10 PM
you need to use the internet to your advantage... i can keep lookin' for you -- but you get the picture

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...4506.m20.l1116

Old 06-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Cool, thanks...lets say I were to buy each of the parts individually online. Would I be able to take it to a dealer and have them install it? I know car audio places in the past have been wary of installing amps from a previous car into a current one because they don't want to be held liable if it doesn't work or breaks

Old 06-08-2009, 09:22 PM
It depends on the dealer and the car audio shop -- these amp's on ebay usually come from salvaged cars -- so there's not reason to be concerned usually that they don't work -- and for $100... it's a minimal risk.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I still can't understand why the bluetooth stuff has been removed... can you list out what parts are actually missing from your vehicle?

Old 06-08-2009, 09:27 PM
It depends on the dealer and the car audio shop -- these amp's on ebay usually come from salvaged cars -- so there's not reason to be concerned usually that they don't work -- and for $100... it's a minimal risk.
Thanks for all the help/advice Peter. I am picking up my car from the infiniti dealer tomorrow and I'll ask him if they would do the install if I were to buy the parts elsewhere and see what they charge. I guess I could also check with an aftermarket installer and see if they could install the stock items missing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I need some advice about the Bose System and Bluetooth