Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

What do I need, to add after market Nav and keep Stock head unit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do I need, to add after market Nav and keep Stock head unit?

I sure this question has been asked numerous times before, but please help. Basically, I want to know what I need to add a Navigation/ DVD/ Mp3 player in the same spot where the factory Nav would go on my 04 6MT Coupe. But, I want the sound to come through my stock head unit. I want keep the OEM look. Please some recommendations.

Thank you

Old 07-29-2004, 09:10 AM
StreetDeck.com Developer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What do I need, to add after market Nav and keep Stock head unit?

I'm mass producing a housing that will allow you to put a screen in the cubby as shown above. You will be able to keep the stock head unit with this. I should have the first units available around mid August. PM or email godofcpu@vt.edu for more info if interested. See the following URL for more images https://filebox.vt.edu/users/cholbroo/g35/

Old 07-29-2004, 09:18 AM
Re: What do I need, to add after market Nav and ke

Cool. I maybe interested

Old 07-29-2004, 05:49 PM

Hey God, I got a question for that. I'm interested in your product however what would be the best source for your screen? Putting a computer in the back? I'd just wnat to use it as a navi and to watch DVD's. What do you think is my best bet? Thanks again.

'04.5 Coupe 5AT
D. Graphite/Graphite | Premium | Splash | Clears | Drilled Pedals | 35% TINT | Z-Tube Waiting to be Installed.

Old 07-29-2004, 09:42 PM

Hey God,

Your link is working now and your screen adapter looks really cool. But, like post above I just want to be able to watch DVDs, maybe Nav, and play mp3's through the stock head unit.

What do I need buy addionally to make your screen set up work in my G.

Thank you

Old 07-29-2004, 10:04 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer

It's really up to you. A computer will allow you to do more stuff and you'll be able to use the touch-screen. I would recommend a trunk install for the carputer. I'll be coming out with a full carputer software product around december that will make this a more practical solution. There will be a Maryland carputer meet on September 5th that I'll be demoing the car at if you want to see what a carputer is capable of. More information about the meet can be found here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28792

If you decide you just want NAV and DVD you can use a remote mount DVD player and NAV system. The xenarc screen allows you to switch between two different sources so it shouldn't be a problem connecting two different devices.

Heres some links to remote mount DVD and NAV systems. The DVD players also do MP3s.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-B56dw9u...st=&search=dvd
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BhM8oKu...st=&search=nav

Old 07-30-2004, 02:35 PM

Where do you think the best place is to mount this?? In the glovebox?

'04.5 Coupe 5AT
D. Graphite/Graphite | Premium | Splash | Clears | Drilled Pedals | 35% TINT | Z-Tube Waiting to be Installed.

Old 07-30-2004, 03:43 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

here you go.....
https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...&part=all&vc=1

Expensive, looks good, keeps stock radio, but loses some air ventilation due to cutting into the main blower (inside the dash) to make room for the new headunit...

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake/AVIC-N1-double-din

Old 07-30-2004, 03:54 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer

Since the units are remote mount, you can put them anywhere you have space. You can control them by infrared remote and just mount the eye up front.

The NAV can easily go in the trunk next to the spare tire since you don't need to change dvds all that often. Since you'll probably want to be able to change the dvds for the regular DVD player, you would probably want that mounted in a more accessible location. The upper glovebox would be an ideal location for this, however, you can't fit something much deeper then 6 3/4" in there and you'll probably also need to get right angle RCA connectors. I'm working on a design for a DIN mounting bracket for that location that I should have ready by the time I'm ready to ship the screen housing.

Old 08-17-2004, 01:59 PM

WOW I must say you have an awesome setup, I will shortly PM you since you said around aug you should have things ready. I would like to know how much labour and money went into this and would the dealer be able to this for me since I am not touching my car myself(too scared) and I live in chicago so I dont think there is anyway you could recommend me someone who does an install here..

thanx..thumbs up to you..

Old 08-17-2004, 03:21 PM
StreetDeck.com Developer

My contact at the laser cuttery that was supplying me with some parts for the housing has decided to fall off the face of the planet after giving me a bunch of delays so I may not be able to get the first production done by August as I previously hoped. If my current contact comes through within the next week there should be a chance they'll be ready in August or at least early September, otherwise, I'll have to go with a different, reliable, machine shop which will proably mean it won't be ready till the end of September. I am definitly going to come out with this product, its just a matter of time.

Depending on the dealer you go to, they may or may not install this themselves but they should be able to at least recommend a reputable car audio shop that would do the install. I'm not sure how much they would charge to install something like this, but it takes me about 20 minutes to put the screen housing in, it will probably take someone unfamiliar with the G35 interior closer to an hour.