Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Parasitic Draw is draining my battery. I found the circut, now what?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRIZCOL
Nice write up "rcdash". Does this work for sure, have you tried it? The only thing that I can see wrong with it is that if your cutting the power off at the radio all together then you will have to adjust the sound settings and radio presets each time you drive the car. I defiantly think that is better then having to pull the fuse each time you get out of the car. I know that if you have to pull the fuse each time you get out of the car you have to reset those settings anyway.

I would have to ask someone else having this issue to try this method. I really dont want to pull and swap out the radio again to test it. At least not now in the dead of winter. "inneedof" Maybe you can give this a try and let us know.
I am doing it this weekend, i will let you know

Old 02-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by inneedof
I am doing it this weekend, i will let you know
Awesome! thanks!

Old 02-20-2011, 01:16 PM
any update inneedof?

Old 02-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^been having a similar issue. not quite as drastic. id say about 10-15%. if she sits for a week, i have to jump it

Old 05-03-2011, 09:16 PM
i imagine you could add a resistor to allow just enough power to prevent settings loss while using a relay. (looks like 87-30 pins) not sure exactly how much power is needed to retain the sttgs, but it might be worth a shot

Old 05-04-2011, 11:22 AM
I wish i knew more about electrical stuff. The resistors could work.
I kept my old radio, its been sitting in my basement since i swapped it out. A few days ago i noticed on the bottom of it there is a sticker that says "refurbished". I bought the car in 2006 so why would a 3 year old car have a refurbished radio in it? I wonder if the other people that are having this problem also have a refurbished version of the bose radio.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:04 PM
My G had this problem too... but...

I alredy change the HUBose for a AVIC-Z1 unit with stock bose amp. I think that the problem resides in the amp and not the radio. ANy one with a problem like this in DD conversions?

Old 05-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by zpeedray
I alredy change the HUBose for a AVIC-Z1 unit with stock bose amp. I think that the problem resides in the amp and not the radio. ANy one with a problem like this in DD conversions?
I think there are two problems people run into. one is with the amp and one is with the radio. Mine was defiantly with the radio.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:27 AM
i have a kenwood dd conversion and i just started having this problem. my car is okay after i jump it but after a day or two, my car will have absolutely no power. can't even unlock/lock with my key remote, no lights, can't put car in neutral... i tried jumping it again and my car was able to start and everything seemed fine for 2 days and then it happened again. i really want to find a way to fix this. oh yeah, my battery is less than 4 months old.
it's an AC Delco battery.

-DV

Old 08-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by billcal
i imagine you could add a resistor to allow just enough power to prevent settings loss while using a relay. (looks like 87-30 pins) not sure exactly how much power is needed to retain the settings, but it might be worth a shot
correct me if im wrong... but wont the resistor blow when you turn on the car? assuming that the HU is going to pull more amps. then you will have an open circut w/ no power

But i had the same issue :/ insteada buyin another cheapo OEM, i just went aftermarket. great fix

Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 PM
The problem is the radio. There are companies on ebay that repair the radios that pull power or give the error message(search for Infiniti Radio Repair). I paid around $125 with shipping, but I think they've gone up. I had both problems(battery drain and error message/cd changer not working). It fixed both problems, haven't had an issue in two years(except sometimes when it's very cold it takes about a minute for my ac and radio to come on...kind of weird).

Old 06-15-2013, 02:30 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I seem to be having the same issue.

I have a 03 with Nav and it seems like I have a parasitic draw. I will be doing some serious testing tomorrow so I will update this thread as necessary.

An amp issue would be easier to debug than a stereo issue but both should be easy to find.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:11 PM
I am currently in the process of doing measurements. The total current draw of the vehicle with all doors locked, engine off, key out of ignition, etc is ~530mA. This is unreasonably high.

Removing the RADIO Fuse (15A) in the fusebox located in the engine compartment beside the battery results in a current draw of about 80mA. Significant drop ! IMHO it still appears high but I will aim for the lowest hanging fruit first.

Just to verify my measurements I measured the current going through that RADIO Fuse (fuse #37) and at idle after the audio unit has settled, the current draw is 450mA. That is an unusually high current draw.. The Audio unit is dissipating ~ 5W of power !!!! You can fly to the moon on that much power...

Old 06-15-2013, 09:00 PM
This seems to be an intermittent issue for me. Sometimes I could get it to draw 450mA but after playing with the harnesses and unplugging removing the unit I couldn't reproduce the problem anymore..

These are the worst to debug...hate intermittent issues..

Old 06-16-2013, 12:58 AM
Looking at part numbers, just as an FYI.

The unit installed in my '03 G35 w/ Bose and w/Nav is
Clarion PN-2545E
This unit is based on PN-2459E-A except ..looking at the service manuals they removed the "telephone" option. That can technically be "added" with one toshiba Integrated ciruit and a whole bunch of passives(capacitors and resistors). (If the software load in the micro-controller supports it)

UPDATE:
I kept looking into the schematic and I believe equilibrium was onto something with his post here:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...check-out.html

DETAILS:
A National Semi (now TI) part LM2936 is used to generate the "stand-by" voltage of the system which is +5V. This part will generate a max of 50mA. It is "paralleled" up with a large transistor so whenever the system boots up it provides most of the current draw through resistors R509 and R510. Both resistors are surface mount 1206s, 22 ohm and are rated at 1/8W each.

Like equilibrium I noticed discoloration on both resistors and one of them is lifted up. Replacement is necessary since this is the main power source of the system.

The whole unit is controller by a Mitsubishi M16C series microprocessor (M30624MGA). When the unit is idle only +5V (named VDD) is active. The microcontroller can then turn on the SYS+5V main supply by pulling the SYS-ON signal high. Other control signals are used to turn on +9V , +12V, etc.

I cannot exactly explain the high current behavior I was seeing but it MAY be related to the unit constantly turning on/off when idle. A non-working climate controls is fully explainable by overheated resistors. At least this is my current explanation. I think it would be simpler to replace the resistors with a higher power rated device(s) and call it a day. If the issue isn't resolved further experimentation may be needed.

MORAL OF THE STORY:
Swap out R509 and R510 with higher power rating resistors and see.
I have no idea if replacing the resistors will do anything for my battery drain problem.I highly doubt a "service fee" of ~$150 involves just swapping out 2 resistors.

Last edited by quanttrom; 06-21-2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: wrong resistor package size, wrong reference #

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Parasitic Draw is draining my battery. I found the circut, now what?