Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

rear speaker not as loud as front (HELP!!!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rear speaker not as loud as front (HELP!!!)

Hi,

for some reason, my 2 front speaker 6 1/2 is much louder than my rear speaker 6 1/2. I'm pushing the 2 components with JL 300/4 amp with a pioneer head unit. What is the reason for the front speaker being louder than the rear? The fading is set on dead center.

Here is how i wired up the amp with the head unit and the components.

4 channels RCA plug from from headunit to amp, and from the amp i hook up the speaker wires to the cross over, and the cross over to my tweeter and the 6 1/2 speakers.

Let me know if ya need some other detail.

Thanks!

Last edited by truexh; 10-25-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by truexh
Hi,

for some reason, my 2 front speaker 6 1/2 is much louder than my rear speaker 6 1/2. I'm pushing the 2 components with JL 300/4 amp with a pioneer head unit. What is the reason for the front speaker being louder than the rear? The fading is set on dead center.

Here is how i wired up the amp with the head unit and the components.

4 channels RCA plug from from headunit to amp, and from the amp i hook up the speaker wires to the cross over, and the cross over to my tweeter and the 6 1/2 speakers.

Let me know if ya need some other detail.

Thanks!
Are you sure you have all settings on both the the front & rear filter controls and front & rear input selections (ie sensitivity) set exactly the same?

Old 10-26-2009, 02:51 AM
yes, the crossover is set at +0 db on both and the gain is set at 50% on both. another thing about the gain is that as i turn the gain **** higher, my speaker then produce a hissing/whining noise and as I accelerate the gas pedal it whine like a turbo sound, what sup with that?

Old 10-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you're getting alternator whine. How did you run your wires?
Is your power wire running on the same side as your RCAs - that will give you alternator whine.
Your front/rear issue is due to the fact that there is front/rear bias in the head unit. If you turn the gains up on your rear channels you should be fine. keep in mind the rear sound waves have to travel further to get to your ear so you will need more power.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:17 PM
my power wire ran on the passenger side, and my remote wire, speaker wire, and rca wires, ran on the driver side.

I did try to turn the gain up just for the rear but I cannot pass 50% on the gain or else it hiss and whine really loud, and as I turn on the gain, it makes cracking sound within the speakers.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
you are much closer to your front speakers and they are some what positioned for the listener

the rear speakers are mounted really low, almost at foot level, which is bad for the listener

Old 10-26-2009, 03:36 PM
my power wire ran on the passenger side, and my remote wire, speaker wire, and rca wires, ran on the driver side.

I did try to turn the gain up just for the rear but I cannot pass 50% on the gain or else it hiss and whine really loud, and as I turn on the gain, it makes cracking sound within the speakers.
Your RCA cables should be run separate to everything else. Your whine is likely an issue of differential grounding between the amp and head unit. You have a couple of choices with fixing that, but first move your RCA cables.

One choice is to use a ground isolator. This basically is a device that sits in between the head unit and the amp (the RCAs plug into it, one set from the hu to the device, the other from the device to the amp) and separates the ground between the two. The outside leg of your RCA cables is a ground and a differential between the ends will cause circular current flow between the two ends. Any electrical noise close enough to this will induce current flow in this part of the cable which in turn will induce it in the other. Since the the signal is meant to travel on the inside conductor RCAs are considered unbalanced. This fix is reasonably cheap and will give you a good idea if the problem is the grounding issue.

A better choice is the use of balance transmitters. These will raise the voltage of your RCA outputs (for increased signal to noise ratio) and create a balance signal out them (for noise rejection). Many amps can accept these balance signals directly others will require balance receivers to convert back to RCA.

Another choice which you may want to do anyway is to purchase a sound processor which can not only fix the issue but give you a lot more control over your crossover points (in fact in the long run can eliminate your speaker crossovers). One example is:

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/5251...rossovers.html

Equalizers:

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/1761...Equalizer.html

Old 10-27-2009, 01:53 AM
pfarmer, thank you very much for your help on dealing with the alternator whine. Do you have a solution for the rear speaker being much lower? like I can barely hear lyrics/vocal even when i place my ear next to it.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:02 AM
pfarmer, thank you very much for your help on dealing with the alternator whine. Do you have a solution for the rear speaker being much lower? like I can barely hear lyrics/vocal even when i place my ear next to it.
First off make sure you didn't do something simple like configure you Pioneer to two channels. My HU has this as an option, if I remember correctly it was referred to as 2+1 for two channels and a sub woofer. Not sure but if I remember this correctly it just may do what you are describing as far as missing the upper frequencies as the sub woofer then connects to the rear outputs.

Now lets assume this is not the case. Then you have at least 2 good channels. Remove three of your cables from your rear amp and keep track of what they were. Use your left channel. Not sure if this applies to an auto but some consumer electronics will output both channels out the left if only the left is connected, so we will pretend that is the case. Take this left channel and connect it to each of your 4 inputs on your amp one at a time and see what your results are. If you have all 4 of your channels working on the amp then move on to the next working channel and see if it is the same. If so move to the first non working channel and then the next one. This should tell you if the issue is your HU, your amp, or your connections.

If you are splitting your rca for use of a sub disconnect the y cable part of that from the sub. Not that it can't work, just that depending on the sub amp it may not work correctly.

As far as your whine, one indication of differential grounding is to connect the RCA so it just barely makes contact on one end with just the center post. Do you get the whine?

Old 10-28-2009, 02:40 AM
^
i'll give it a try when I get some free time this weekend upon testing the channels and see what is the reason for it and i'll let you know what i find out.
much thanks for your help

Old 10-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my ground wire was to long on my amp and gave me engine noise so i drilled a hole and put a 5 inch ground wire to the body and the other question i have are your front and rear speakers exactly the same

Old 10-30-2009, 02:13 AM
Originally Posted by 351z
my ground wire was to long on my amp and gave me engine noise so i drilled a hole and put a 5 inch ground wire to the body and the other question i have are your front and rear speakers exactly the same
you're experiencing the rear being louder than the front as well? what amp are you using to power up your components? I wonder what is causing this. but i will pfarmer testing method this weekend and let ya know.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by pfarmer
First off make sure you didn't do something simple like configure you Pioneer to two channels. My HU has this as an option, if I remember correctly it was referred to as 2+1 for two channels and a sub woofer. Not sure but if I remember this correctly it just may do what you are describing as far as missing the upper frequencies as the sub woofer then connects to the rear outputs.

Now lets assume this is not the case. Then you have at least 2 good channels. Remove three of your cables from your rear amp and keep track of what they were. Use your left channel. Not sure if this applies to an auto but some consumer electronics will output both channels out the left if only the left is connected, so we will pretend that is the case. Take this left channel and connect it to each of your 4 inputs on your amp one at a time and see what your results are. If you have all 4 of your channels working on the amp then move on to the next working channel and see if it is the same. If so move to the first non working channel and then the next one. This should tell you if the issue is your HU, your amp, or your connections.

If you are splitting your rca for use of a sub disconnect the y cable part of that from the sub. Not that it can't work, just that depending on the sub amp it may not work correctly.

As far as your whine, one indication of differential grounding is to connect the RCA so it just barely makes contact on one end with just the center post. Do you get the whine?
I tested the channel on the amp one by one and the rear is still producing low sounds, so I guess my amp is still good. I read around about my headunit pioneer avh-P4100dvd about the 2 channel feature you mention but I could not get into initial settings. The guide was to turn off my headunit and touch the screen and hit AV-MENU and then initial settings but when i hit AV-MENU, the screen does not show INITIAL MENU, it just stays on the same screen... Maybe my headunit is defective... I'll give Pioneer a call tomorrow and see what happens

Old 11-06-2009, 02:34 AM
after giving pioneer customer service a call, the reason i was unable to get in initial settings its because i ground the green parking brake wire instead of connecting it to the ebrake which give constant 12v said the pioneer guy, how do i go on and bypassing this? anyone?

Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
the bypass for any pioneer avic411.com

search for your model number

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rear speaker not as loud as front (HELP!!!)