Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

OEM Bose system amp(s) and speaker configuration questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Bose system amp(s) and speaker configuration questions

Hi everyone. New member here, but owned my coupe since it was new in 2004. I found great info here to address my power window issue, and am now looking into addressing my developed needs for a better audio system.

I first just want a better understanding of the basics of how the current Bose system works. I am a complete novice at car audio. So I only want the simplest explainations. I would appreciate input on the following curiosities of mine:

1. I know there is a amplifier in the rear of the car, by the spare tire, and it powers the subwoofers in the rear dash. Does that same amp also power the other speakers in the car? Or is there another amp in the front to do this? Or how are the other speakers connected?

2. Will an aftermarket HU be a plug & play to the stock amp(s) and speakers? (I know this won't address sound issues, again, just curious as to how the different components of the Bose system work with each other.)

3. Will it affect the rest of the system in any way if I remove the rear Bose amp (a source of the sound issues I am aware) and replace it with a basic aftermarket amp that powers a small sub? (other than the obvious outcome of losing the stock rear subs)

4. Since the Bose amp is described as sub-par, will it be beneficial to replace it with aftermarket without replacing any speakers? I don't want to have to add any components in the trunk area (other than possibly an amp in the stock location)

Old 11-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by naef
Hi everyone. New member here, but owned my coupe since it was new in 2004. I found great info here to address my power window issue, and am now looking into addressing my developed needs for a better audio system.
Ill try my best
I first just want a better understanding of the basics of how the current Bose system works. I am a complete novice at car audio. So I only want the simplest explainations. I would appreciate input on the following curiosities of mine:

1. I know there is a amplifier in the rear of the car, by the spare tire, and it powers the subwoofers in the rear dash. Does that same amp also power the other speakers in the car? Or is there another amp in the front to do this? Or how are the other speakers connected?
The amp powers every speaker in the car, the head unit sends a low voltage signal to the bose amp, the amp ups the voltage and sends the high voltage to the speakers

2. Will an aftermarket HU be a plug & play to the stock amp(s) and speakers? (I know this won't address sound issues, again, just curious as to how the different components of the Bose system work with each other.)
There is a harness that can be purchased from PAC that will make any HU plug and play, but they are headunit specific, or manufacturer specific

3. Will it affect the rest of the system in any way if I remove the rear Bose amp (a source of the sound issues I am aware) and replace it with a basic aftermarket amp that powers a small sub? (other than the obvious outcome of losing the stock rear subs)

The bose amp and the speakers are really a unit, they all plug with one ribbon. you could feasibly take every wire, splice it, and attach new plugs, but you would be better off wiring a whole new system

4. Since the Bose amp is described as sub-par, will it be beneficial to replace it with aftermarket without replacing any speakers? I don't want to have to add any components in the trunk area (other than possibly an amp in the stock location)
The speakers are equally as bad as the amp, if you replace the amp, replace the speakers as well.
See above. Hope i kept it simple.

Last edited by 06g35meister; 11-18-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by 06g35meister
The amp powers every speaker in the car.................
Originally Posted by 06g35meister

The bose amp and the speakers are really a unit, they all plug with one ribbon. you could feasible but every wire, splice it, and attach new plugs, but you would be better off wiring a whole new system
So then you can't just remove that amp, without replacing it with an amp that's capable of powering all of the car's speakers? And upon doing this would pretty much make it pointless to keep any of the stock speakers...

Old 11-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by naef
So then you can't just remove that amp, without replacing it with an amp that's capable of powering all of the car's speakers? And upon doing this would pretty much make it pointless to keep any of the stock speakers...
Heres what the end of the bose amp looks like(ish):

here is what aftermarket amps need:

you have to take each pair of wires, splice them, and turn that into a positive and negative for ONE terminal, each channel has 2.

using this wire for every speaker would be ROUGH, you only have to do 4 wires to add a sub:

Old 11-18-2009, 06:31 PM
One more question then....
Replacing those two Bose 6X9's on the rear dash with something better and more capable without changing anything else, would it make a difference in bass quality/volume? If there's a chance of this working, what is recommended for these two replacements?

Thanks so far!

Old 11-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Sorry to thread jack but how big is the factory subwoofer?

Old 11-19-2009, 11:45 AM
I was actually going to just ask if anybody knew the specs on the factory system components as well.

I'd like to see the rating/specs on the speakers and amp, so I can decipher what it is I can, and see for myself the comparison to aftermarket stuff.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:49 PM
unfortunately, if you are looking for any decent improvement, the system as a whole should be dealt with accordingly. I have never tried, nor heard of anyone who has replaced the stock 6x9 subs with other 6x9s hoping to get a better output. It just wont happen.

Before you go changing everything, the first thing i would recommend is adding a sub and amp to your system, as it sounds like that is the area you are focusing on, then that must be the area you are unhappy about. After changing the sub, if you are still not happy, then move forward, but this is the most logical progression in car audio.

There is a sticky with great info on adding just a sub and amp to the stock bose system, check it out.

As far as specks...6 1/2s in the doors and rear quarter panels, 6x9 subs, 3/4" to 1" tweets, and powering these with an aftermarket amp is a no no... In car audio, improve the weakest link first to get the best effect. First, (for most people its the bass) get a decent sub. Next, the weakest link from there is the "entire" bose name minus the HeadUnit. Everything after the HU is basically crap.

Hope this is simple enough...

Old 11-19-2009, 09:32 PM
How many watts do I need to push through a sub to notice an improvement over the stock system? I just want crisper, deeper and louder bass. Doesn't need to be anything drastic. Just don't want to be maxing out the stock system all the time.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 PM
a small 10" and 250 watt amp would be better than stock...