Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

just had my new amp and speakers installed...but now

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
just had my new amp and speakers installed...but now

i have this high pitched buzzing or humming noise that is constantly the same volume no matter what i have the volume set at for the head unit. its coming from the rear 6x9s i believe, but definitely not the front 6.5s. my installer, who i did not buy the amp or equipment from, said he thought the amp was bad and causing this noise. i spent over 1k to have buy everything and have it installed so id like to figure out whats causing the noise. it is there whenever the head unit is on and not when it is off. the actual sound is good, but just knowing that at lower volumes or when i have the music paused ill have to put up with that buzzing is very irritating

my setup is an alpine iva-w205 head unit, alpine pdx-4.100 amp, alpine spx-17ref in the front, and spr-69c in the back...the 6.5s on the sides of the back seats are just there not being used anymore.

anyone have any ideas or thoughts about this? id like to figure out what i have to do to fix this as soon as i can

Last edited by TigerWoodsIV; 12-06-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if the noise is a low volume noise, it could be the PDX amp. I understand that they are notorious for having a high "noise floor". If the whine doesn't increase with speed you can rule out alternator noise...

swap out the amp with a spare and see if the noise is still there

Old 12-06-2009, 09:20 PM
yes it's a continuous sound it doesn't change at all until i turn off the head unit it goes completely away, so i'll see if i can swap it out and see what happens

Old 12-07-2009, 07:04 AM
Just to try real quick. You said it is the pdx 4.100 so I am assuming you are running the front and rear speakers. You said it is not making the buzzing sound on the fronts. Swap the front and rear rcas around. If the buzzing moves to the front, it is the radio or the rcas. If it stays the same, change it back. Then try swapping the front and rear speaker wires one at a time to see if it doesn't do it with only one speaker plugged in to eliminate a wire that is picking up some noise from smewhere in the car, or a wire that is pinched and making the amp act strange. Process of elimination without just swapping out the equipment until the sound is gone.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:10 PM
any luck with that noise i have the same issue ever since the other night i put in a new higher powerd amp and now static like u discribed???

Old 12-14-2009, 06:19 PM
it looks like it was the amp just being bad. i had it tested by my local shop...they switched the rcas among other things and the sound was just constant. i ended up getting a JL audio 75 watt per channel amp, the 300/4, not v2 since my installer gave it to me for what he paid. unfortunately i can't take advantage of all 100 watts the r's can handle, but it still sounds just as good to me. the car's not exactly the perfect listening environment. the sound is completely gone with the new amp though

Old 12-14-2009, 08:43 PM
well... that should put a stop to all the PDX love... I never liked those amps, but people like them because of the size and cheap power, but the high noise floor is a trade off. btw, the difference between the 75 and 100 watts should be moot. glad everything worked out for you after all...

so how do you like the type x's then?

Old 12-14-2009, 08:55 PM
ive never listened to anything better in a car, so for me theyre great...i love hearing all the music, instead of having cheaper equipment muddle all the sound so you cant hear the individual instruments as well, etc. as far as i can tell they accurately reproduce the sound. i notice the difference more on some music than others, but definitely a great improvement. i have one more question for you then. i'm in college so i dont currently have a job, but im thinking about getting one and if i do manage to save up some money, i'd like to get a sub just to complete the system...any recommendations for subs and amps? something pretty good, nothing really cheap since i already went all out on the speakers. idk what it is, but when i listen to hip hop the bass seems lower than it was on the original system. im thinking it might just be how the 6x9s were made for infiniti, so if i have some income i wouldnt mind having the bass when i need it. just as a comparison, my roommate has a type-x 12" and pdx1.1000 amp and i really like his setup, but thats over a grand just in the main parts without a box or anything

Old 12-14-2009, 09:42 PM
sub recommendations are something subjective that i don't get into... I am putting in Morel Ultimo's in my G... you would have to go with what sounds good to you, as everyone has a different opinion on what the sub should sound like, ie volume impact, transients, etc.

your type x's are not the best midbass drivers out there, so this may be why you have lost some bass... to compensate and to blend well, i would find a sub that plays well in the higher frequency range like 100-80hz. i would stay in the 10" size though...just my opinion

just initially, right out of the box I would say to look at Image Dynamics... but then again, you might like bass heavy music and then a w7 might be better for you....just depends on what you want

Old 12-14-2009, 09:48 PM
alright thanks for the info. i like a lot of different music, and some sounds good with bass and other stuff doesnt, even if its not hip hop, rap, techno stuff etc. i always find myself adjusting the bass on my head unit when i go from artist to artist. i'll have to do my research, and get some money before i do anything. just doing some forward thinking right now

Old 06-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Decided to go with a 12" of the new Alpine Type-R powered by a JL 500/1v2 to match my JL 300/4 amp.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
I've got the exact same amp combination that I'll be installing in a couple weeks.

Went with the JL 10w6v2 in a 4080 enclosure to go with it though. 12" needed a little more volume than the 4080 enclosure can supply, and I didn't want to poly-fill.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Yeah know what you mean, I'm getting a custom box built for me because i want to have the entire wider part of the trunk open for golf clubs so it's being put in the narrower part right behind the seats. Anyone have a box there with the sub mounted toward the front of the car vs toward the trunk so you can see it? As of now I'm gonna have it firing toward the front into the rear seats but i see a lot of ppl have them firing back toward the trunk. I'm assuming that's just for show and not sound quality, but I'm a little conflicted. Would it sound better firing toward the front or doesn't it matter?

Old 06-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Rear vs. front is more a sound quality than looks issue, but I'm sure that aesthetics still play a large part in many people's choice of one over the other.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/subwoo...ring-help.html

Old 06-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Would you say that front would produce better sound quality? Cause I don't care about being able to see it when i open my trunk if its not going to sound as good

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: just had my new amp and speakers installed...but now