Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

could use some input on sound stuff (no pun intended)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
could use some input on sound stuff (no pun intended)

so, as of a few weeks ago, i had a torn speaker surround. and as of yesterday, my headunit died. so therefore, i want to change some stuff out.
as of now, heres what i have in the car

Headunit- Pioneer premir F90bt
Speaker amp- Alpine f300
front speakers- Infinity Kappa 60.9cs
rear speakers- infinity kappa coaxials (think the 62.9i)
Sub- 10" IDMAX 10D4v3 in a 4080 box
sub amp- quantum audio 1000w RMS amp

the bass isint like earth shattering( i think the not-so-stellar efficiency on the IDMAX has that to account for, but its not bad, aka enough for now)

my F90 freaked out, and now restarts whenever i drive. that coupled with little other things that drive me nuts with it have prompted its replacement. (Pioneer will repair it, but its time for change)
that said, im looking at the kenwood excelon dnx 9140, pioneer z110bt, and the eclipse 726e. biggest worry is that when opening the screen to put a cd/sd in, it will hit the shifter.

2nd issue is the speakers. im looking at BA pro60se, or polk MM6501. any opinions on these?
and also, im thinking i should upgrade the speaker amp for either of those sets. any ideas?
thanks

Old 12-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
congrats on dropping the infinity's... worst sounding speakers i have ever heard, I don't know how anyone can put up with the distortion they put out...

i'm suprised that you don't like the IDmaxx...i have heard nothing but good things... but have never heard them personally.

as for as speaks...if you don't like the infinity's you probably wouldn't like the polks...pretty close imo

i can't comment on the BA's... it's all listening preferences from there... especially if we don't know what you listen to, how loud, and what exactly you are looking from your speakers...

i tend to stay away from mainstream...don't know why... but i would try a set of DLS, as many people love the smooth sound. or the pioneer premier PRS line... another favorite of the sq crowd...

imo, loose the rear speakers, bridge the amp you have now to run more power to the fronts, and pick a good set of components. save money on the rear, don't have to buy a new amp, and can spend more on what counts...the speakers, as well as give them what they want--power.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:44 PM
oh, and if you haven't already.... lots of sound deadening in the doors will improve the sound a lot

Old 12-21-2009, 10:00 PM
i should clarify, the idmax sounds great and is very clear, just isint very overpowering. i do love it.
i listen to classic rock, hip-hopish stuff, electronic, all accross the spectrum... only thing i dont really like is country haha
i keep it at normal levels around town, i do sometimes get on the highway with the windows down and let it crank though.
i have the rears installed, so do you think disconnect them? or maybe power them ( at a reduced level) from the HU and bridge the amp for the fronts?
i listened to the BA's today, and i will admit they were very clear and accurate, but i will look into the DLS's. i have the dynamat squares around the speakers now, but i plan on doing the entire doors.
thanks for the input, looks like i have alot to hunt around for

Old 12-21-2009, 10:26 PM
yeah, no one is ever going to be able to tell you what the best speakers are, that's all up to you and how much you want to spend. If you were me, I would say that Dynaudio is the way to go!...

But...

You have to decide what's best for you. Go and demo different speakers at different shops, see what sounds best to you.

As far as the rears... again, if it was me, I would not power them at all...theres no reason IMO, the sound coming from the front is the most important, so why would you want sound coming from behind you muddying up the sound stage and image?

but, if you want, you can power them off the HU, and try that. Def bridge the amp for the fronts, that will save you a good 300 at least.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
bump

Old 01-23-2010, 07:21 PM
ok well update, i went with the BA's. tried to bridge the amp, and the load was too low for it... ended up going with a kenwood xr-4s. z110bt for the headunit. put it all in, sounds really good except for some engine noise comming though (basically a engine RPM linked whistle...)

Old 01-23-2010, 09:14 PM
congrats on the upgrade...glad you like it. wondering why when bridging the amp the load was "too low"? were you bridging the amp and having fronts and rears on the same channel outputs?

the engine noise is ground loop. could be the HU ground, or the amp ground, check one at a time and see if it goes away...

Old 01-23-2010, 09:14 PM
oh, and how much better are the BA's over the Infinitys?

Old 04-08-2010, 01:36 AM
oops sorry, didnt see your update haha
when i bridged them, the 3 ohm load was too low for the amp to handle and it went into overload protection (it shut off haha)
ground loop isolater solved the sound problem
and the BA's kick the Infinity's a$$. they sound SO good