Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

GPS mount in cubby (where can i get this mount?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well this thread has given me an idea about where to store my iPhone.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by orion71483
Well this thread has given me an idea about where to store my iPhone.
that's a bit off topic, let's keep the convo focused on gps mounts so we can close this thread and say an ideal solution was established. but to your commrent, there are plenty of quality (arkon, proclip, etc) mounts out there for your iphone.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Just wanted to bump this, the charger I purchased from Amazon.com DOES WORK with my Garmin Nuvi 780. It charges as it were plugged using the cradle and does NOT go into PC mode. Now I can mount my unit without the use of the cradle, and it'll sit flush/flat with the backside of the cubby using 3M Dual Lock Fastener (velcro on steroids). Also because I can use the USB port, the hole I need to drill will be much smaller! This charger might not work with units that have the Traffic feature.

Amazon Amazon

FYI - after doing a bit more research, it seems that you can use the usb cable (via usb to ac charger) but it's a bit tricky. You must first turn on the unit, and only plug the cable after the "Loading Maps" appears. If you do it before or too late, it'll put the unit in PC mode. However with the cable above, there is no issue and works at any moment.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Lol, man some of you guys are going to the extreme on this thing.

My set up was simple with no issues at all. I went to hobby lobby and bought a square piece of velcro, attached one side to the inside of the cubby, and the other side the back of the gps and put in. It works fine, I can still hear the gps volume just fine even with the velcro over it, and there's enough clearance for me to open and close my cubby while keeping the gps inside. No drilling, no hassel of it not fitting properly, ect.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by izeroi

My set up was simple with no issues at all. I went to hobby lobby and bought a square piece of velcro, attached one side to the inside of the cubby, and the other side the back of the gps and put in. It works fine, I can still hear the gps volume just fine even with the velcro over it, and there's enough clearance for me to open and close my cubby while keeping the gps inside. No drilling, no hassel of it not fitting properly, ect.

The challenge for many of is is that the Garmin Nuvis require the cradle in order to power the unit. I have had the same set up you have since I bought the car, but I wanted it to charge the GPS while in use. I was sick of going on a trip only to have the GPS battery die half way there. The only way to do that is the mount the GPS and cradle to the cubby...at least until dubbedown's post just before yours.

Other GPS units may charge differently, but Garmin made this difficult for those who wanted this unit hardwired in our type of application.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:34 PM
so whats the verdict on this matter.. that part is no more?..whats the best solution?...

Old 02-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by izeroi

actually we're not. anyone can throw in their navi with velcro but the problem is you can't charge the unit. it sorta defeats the purpose of mounting it inside the cubby if you have to remove it each time to charge (whether it be in the car or at home).

Originally Posted by Greeknasty
so whats the verdict on this matter.. that part is no more?..whats the best solution?...
did you read any of the previous posts? i already posted on 2 cables that will succesfully charge your navi (assuming you don't have the Traffic function). it works fine and i can mount my navi using 3m dual lock tape (stronger than velcro)

Old 02-05-2010, 03:07 PM
i read ac ouple of previous posts but dont have time for 4 pages...when you say traffic function you mean the FM traffic feature?..if we do have that feature then what other options are there

Old 02-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the same thing when looking for the mount. Nice find guys.
Is that second 5 dollar one long enough tho? The ball mount looks really shallow for mounting a garmin. I have calipers at home. If someone is willing to test I can measure tonight and give the final word.

-M

Old 02-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i read ac ouple of previous posts but dont have time for 4 pages...when you say traffic function you mean the FM traffic feature?..if we do have that feature then what other options are there
You could splice a 12V line behind the head unit and attach a car adapter plug to the end of it and place it in the cubby. Then you could just plug the garmin traffic receiver into the plug (in the cubby).

Old 02-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OR you can be an idiot and tear apart the cable end with the electronics that adjust the voltage. Then soldier extended leads onto it, encase the whole thing in a chunk of JB weld putty and slap it hidden deep in the dash to solidify somewhere. Wire it into the cig adapter and smile :-)

Not much room to work with with these dashes in my opinion :-(

Old 02-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by miltoda
You could splice a 12V line behind the head unit and attach a car adapter plug to the end of it and place it in the cubby. Then you could just plug the garmin traffic receiver into the plug (in the cubby).
but wouldn't that still require you to use the cradle?

Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 PM
hm..well first let me figure out the mounting..someone said 3m tape...can i have pics of this?..sorta confused on what exactly you did..

Old 02-05-2010, 10:38 PM
common sense says start backwards then. in my post where i bumped this thread, i said that this only works for those w/o fm traffic adapters. if you have the traffic adapter, you could probably still power the unit just won't get the traffic functionality.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:16 PM
um alright.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GPS mount in cubby (where can i get this mount?)