Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Opinion on Speakers!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Opinion on Speakers!!

Here is the Story,
I was parked this morning and noticed that my rear driver side speaker is making noise so i guess its blowed, now i would need advice as to what speakers would be good to use to replace them, i dont mind paying but you know i dont wanna spend 500$ for a pair of speakers,

I dont wanna change the grill, so it would have to fit in the Stock hole/grill

here is the setup

Kenwood Excelon DNX9140, stock non-bose speakers w/out component wire and without sub

Let me know thanks,

Old 01-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
A few questions to help the recommendations:

What type of genres/artists are you looking to reproduce most accurately?
Do you prefer a warm sound, or a more crisp note?
What is your budget?
Do you plan on adding a subwoofer in the near future?
Will you be replacing the front speakers that didn't fail at the same time?

Old 01-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
A few questions to help the recommendations:

What type of genres/artists are you looking to reproduce most accurately?
Do you prefer a warm sound, or a more crisp note?
What is your budget?
Do you plan on adding a subwoofer in the near future?
Will you be replacing the front speakers that didn't fail at the same time?
Well i listen to pretty much everything, but i do like techno, pop,
I also listen to rock, sonata arctica etc.

Not sure what do you mean by a warm sound sorry

Budget well i dont know couple of hundred, 3 or 4 ?

Subwoofer probebly not,

I was thinking about replacing all four but then again im not sure yet, guess it would be best

But i do like some bass in there so having the Speakers that can produce good bass would be nice,

I was looking at Kicker and such i dont know, let me know, ive looked on ebay, and speakers dosnt seem very expensive
compare to the deck anyways,,

Last edited by ballain; 01-21-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 01-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Think i found something, let me know what you thinnk

Pioneer TS-A1702C in the front

Pioneer TS-A6983R in the back

Looks to be good speakers let me know what you guys think,

Old 01-22-2010, 05:31 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

If you going without a sub, I'd favor some good 3-ways, at least in the rear to get a little more full-range.

Here's how some other people describe the "warm" sound:
Well, a "warm" sound will I presume have a rolled off treble and a prominent mid-bass with a slow decline toward the high frequencies.

As "red" is a "warm" color and is also the longest wavelenght visual color, then by analogy a speaker or other device that emphases the long wavelenths may be said to be "warm".
Warmness is also ascribed to recordings with more reverberance or echo to them - in comparison to a raw recording in an acoustically damped environment, which may sound unnaturally silent (especially on headphones).

It has also been used to describe low-order harmonic distortion.
I usually lean away from warm sounds, since I listen to a fair amount of talk radio and rock, and I like the vocals to shine through with as little distortion as possible, and I don't mind the little extra harshness from the "cold" audio.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd recommend a set of Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" component speakers in your front doors. It's a 2 way setup and can come with either crossovers or not. If you have the factory bose system this is an amazing upgrade as we've already thrown a set in the shop G.

As for the thought on doing a 3-way in the rear, i'd stay away from that. You want to have your mainstage in front of you versus behind for better imaging. Image a musical artist behind you versus in front, where would you prefer their voice to be? A set of 2 ways in the rear is fine if your fronts are already upgraded or you plan to upgrade them, but always keep your better speakers in the front. The rear should be used as fill, not the mainstage.

Another brand to look at is the Digital Designs competition series which you can order without the crossovers too and also the Hertz linup. There are quite a few others out there, but with such a nice vehicle, I wouldn't throw cheap equipment in there, ie Pioneer. They are great for the mainstream cars like Honda, Mistubishi, Toyota... But you own a luxury car and deserve a luxury sound.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I agree, putting a set of 3 way in the rear would not sound good at all (I did a double take when I read that suggestion), I would just skip out on changing the rears at all, and leave them be. You can always add a sub later on down the road. Changing out the fronts to a good set of 6.5 will improve the sound, like the ones you mentioned, or the DLS UP6i (my last set) are the ones I recommend. I would recommend powering them off a non factory amp if possible. (Not sure if you have one already or not)

Originally Posted by GrocryGettr
I'd recommend a set of Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" component speakers in your front doors. It's a 2 way setup and can come with either crossovers or not. If you have the factory bose system this is an amazing upgrade as we've already thrown a set in the shop G.

As for the thought on doing a 3-way in the rear, i'd stay away from that. You want to have your mainstage in front of you versus behind for better imaging. Image a musical artist behind you versus in front, where would you prefer their voice to be? A set of 2 ways in the rear is fine if your fronts are already upgraded or you plan to upgrade them, but always keep your better speakers in the front. The rear should be used as fill, not the mainstage.

Another brand to look at is the Digital Designs competition series which you can order without the crossovers too and also the Hertz linup. There are quite a few others out there, but with such a nice vehicle, I wouldn't throw cheap equipment in there, ie Pioneer. They are great for the mainstream cars like Honda, Mistubishi, Toyota... But you own a luxury car and deserve a luxury sound.

Trending Topics

Old 01-22-2010, 03:42 PM
And what kind of cds do you have which accentuate "cold" sounds opposed to "warm"?

If you going without a sub, I'd favor some good 3-ways, at least in the rear to get a little more full-range.

Here's how some other people describe the "warm" sound:

I usually lean away from warm sounds, since I listen to a fair amount of talk radio and rock, and I like the vocals to shine through with as little distortion as possible, and I don't mind the little extra harshness from the "cold" audio.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my previous vehicles, I always ran Mb Quart and Orion. They are not too pricey and the sound is amazing. Even running their lower end line of speakers, you get really good mids and highs that other brands in the price range lacked.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Yeah, sorry about the murky 3-ways comment... I was thinking that 3-ways in the rear if he only changes the rear. Without a sub, I'd want the 3-ways so the bass they'd inevitably be delivering wouldn't get as mudded up.

Cold audio - Piano, lead guitar solos, where you don't the rapid note changes bleeding into each other.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Excellent! Diana Krall Live in Paris has some fantastic piano solos, I just downloaded the Focal test CDs (off a thread from diymobileaudio if I can remember correctly) as well and those have some incredible tracks on it period.

Cold audio - Piano, lead guitar solos, where you don't the rapid note changes bleeding into each other.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
honestly most people are happy with a decent 10" sub with 300watts and a mid grade set of co-ax speakers

Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, sorry about the murky 3-ways comment... I was thinking that 3-ways in the rear if he only changes the rear. Without a sub, I'd want the 3-ways so the bass they'd inevitably be delivering wouldn't get as mudded up.

3 ways versus 2 ways will give the same midbass all said and done. It all depends on the actual midbass woofer itself, not the number of drivers in the system.

If this is what you are looking for, then add a 10" sub and a decent amp. otherwise upgrade rear speakers with a set of coaxial speakers or a good set of 2-ways. A few have been mentioned on here already...

Old 01-26-2010, 05:38 PM
K thanks guys, il see what im gonna do hehe