Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

I turn my car on and there is no sound from the speaker's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2020 | 11:44 AM
g35
i have had my radio repaired and put back in the car. Then i had no sound. I replaced the amp and now have sound coming from the radio. My problem is i have static coming from speakers while the power is off the radio and the key is on . The static remains while the radio is on and playing. Have you or anyone else ran across this problem before?
thanks
2003 infiniti G 35 coupe
Bose amp and bose speakers

Old 02-04-2020 | 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: Army
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by wilbanks51
Was that meant to be smart? Was only wondering if this was a common problem after removing, fixing and reinstalling!!
It is not a common problem and
No i wasn't being a smarta$$ but do some logical thinking
Pull out the radio and amp and bench test it with some speakers attached
If the noise disappears on the bench the problem is in your vehicle most likely the wiring harness or the speakers in the vehicle

Old 02-04-2020 | 02:56 PM
g35
I think i'll pull the speakers before I go after removing the dash again. I'm not that handy and that was a chore for me. Was only hoping it was a common problem like the radio and temp control problem was on the 2003 coupes and sedans

Old 02-04-2020 | 05:59 PM
Chasing static is pretty difficult. It all comes down to isolating each component to see which one is causing it.

What I would do is grab a cheap speaker and tap it into one of your speaker channel wires on the input side of the Bose amp. If you still get static on the input side, then the problem would be your head unit. If you only get static on the output side of the amp, then the problem is the amp.

Old 02-10-2020 | 10:47 AM
g35
i tried to start a thread in the DIY section and it says i'm not authorized. I was trying to find a place to purchase the shifter **** clip, 2 new lights for my clock..

2003 infiniti G 35 coupe

If you know of anyone or a place to help me, i would appreciate.
I seem to be out of place here. Any other sites that would help me with my 2003 G 35 coupe?
thanks

Old 02-11-2020 | 05:59 AM
Old 02-11-2020 | 09:47 AM
g35
Thanks again. Trying to get my G 35 back in shape. You guys have helped a bunch. Found out that the static in the speaker was not the amp. Was thinking about changing the rear drivers side speaker. YouTube has videos on the sedan rear speakers but not the coupe. Just wondering, will I have to take the rear seats out, and if so, how difficult is this for a novice?
thanks again

Old 02-11-2020 | 12:01 PM
How did you test the amp to eliminate it as the source of the problem? Speakers can't cause "static" unless I'm not understanding. If you've got a blown speaker it will cause distortion but I wouldn't describe it as static. And your earlier post says it's happening even when the audio system OFF so that's extra weird. I've never looked it up but I assume the amp is powered down whenever the system is off. And speakers are passive devices so they can't make any sound unless signal is sent to them from the amp. Are you sure this sound is even coming from your speakers and not some loose bolt rattling around in a door or something?

All that to say I don't think changing the speakers is going to solve your problem. Keep going though, gotta get that G dialed in.

Old 02-11-2020 | 01:42 PM
g35
No, it's coming from the speaker. I would call it white noise. It starts when the key is in the on position. This radio was just repaired because the temperature controls didn't work right. T,he same problem a lot of people have had. The radio comes on now and all of the temperature controls work, but like I said, got the white noise coming from a speaker when the key is on. I've had to unplug the amp just to keep the noise off. I wonder if I should contact the person who fixed the board?
thanks for your help

Old 02-11-2020 | 02:07 PM
U can experiment with the wires on the amp and see if the static moves to a different speaker. This will tell u if u have an amp problem or a head unit problem. Gotta look at the wiring pinout and swap individual wires though. Im not sure if you’re comfortable or capable of doin that.

Old 02-11-2020 | 03:32 PM
g35
do you have or can get access to the wiring schemes? I was even thinking about cutting that speaker out all together. I don't know if the speaker wires go through the driver's door or it that even the way to go about it. If nothing else, I at least have my temperature controls now. Do you think this might have happened when the board or radio was repaired? Just wondering. Maybe I need to contact that guy.
thanks

Old 02-11-2020 | 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: Army
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
U can experiment with the wires on the amp and see if the static moves to a different speaker. This will tell u if u have an amp problem or a head unit problem. Gotta look at the wiring pinout and swap individual wires though. Im not sure if you’re comfortable or capable of doin that.
The only way to prove and localize his problem is to pull the radio and amp and power it up on a bench with a clean 12v power supply and a couple of test speakers.
If the noise/static is still present then it is either coming from the head unit/radio or the amp.
If there is no longer any noise on the bench then the problem is most likely a poor wiring harness connection
I suspect it is most likely a leaky/defective capacitor in the radio. A signal tracer can localize the culprit.
Most quality automotive audio shops can most likely solve the problem that have the necessary test equipment.

Old 02-11-2020 | 04:01 PM
Old 02-11-2020 | 04:02 PM
g35
so,,,,i would have to take dash apart again and take the radio out?
Don't know if I can do it again. I can't believe I did it the first time.
thanks

Old 02-11-2020 | 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by wilbanks51
so,,,,i would have to take dash apart again and take the radio out?
Don't know if I can do it again. I can't believe I did it the first time.
thanks
If u troubleshoot the issue to the amp, then no. But if the issue is with the head unit, then yeah.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I turn my car on and there is no sound from the speaker's?