Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

aftermarket amplifer on stock bose speakers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket amplifer on stock bose speakers?

is a good idea to put a aftermarket amp on my stock bose speakers in the G?

i'm planning on getting a stealthbox from JL Audio and i'm also getting the new Nex-D, 6 channel amp(600w) and I'm gonna remove the factory bose amplifier(located in the trunk, left of spare tire) and thats where the stealth box will go and im gonna Keep my factory deck. I'm planning on running everything on the one amp, but should I buy aftermarket cabin speakers as well or can the bose handle the power? Has any done this?

thanks in advance to everyone on hear, you guys are great!

-'05 G35 coupe Athens Blue/20" Axis 9.5"F/10"R

Old 02-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Foe some reason, I belive the Bose system will only work with its dediated amp. The entire BOSE system is a POS so you're better of trashing the whole thing, that's what I did. I installed Boston Acoustic separate components and a JL amp. Next up I will get a large Boston Acoustics sub and another amp. Not cheap but, well worth it.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My brother has a g35 sedan with bose... he has a JL sub and amp and put a small amp to the cabin speakers. It definitely changed the bose speakers to be more "powerful" but you must realize when you do this that there is a high chance of blowing the bose speakers much faster than they would normally go out.
I do not know how much power he put to the speakers though.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by fijianflyguy
is a good idea to put a aftermarket amp on my stock bose speakers in the G?

i'm planning on getting a stealthbox from JL Audio and i'm also getting the new Nex-D, 6 channel amp(600w) and I'm gonna remove the factory bose amplifier(located in the trunk, left of spare tire) and thats where the stealth box will go and im gonna Keep my factory deck. I'm planning on running everything on the one amp, but should I buy aftermarket cabin speakers as well or can the bose handle the power? Has any done this?

thanks in advance to everyone on hear, you guys are great!

-'05 G35 coupe Athens Blue/20" Axis 9.5"F/10"R

^ You're probably going to add a pretty beefy sub to the stock system; it WILL overpower the Bose no question about it.

Replace the godawful Bose front speakers. You're only limited by your budget. IMO, you can find good replacement sets for less than $100 if cost is an issue (see: Phoenix Gold RSD6.5cs).

Old 02-28-2010, 03:33 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,036 Likes on 609 Posts
I'll throw my agreement in here. If you're doing the amp, you might as well not risk damaging the amp by using to attack the Bose speakers.

By adjusting the gain on the amp, you should be able to make it safe for the Bose until you can replace them though.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:18 PM
No, no ,no

OMG, there was a time when a Bose system in a car was considered a 'premium' or even 'decent' system. I just replaced my stock speakers in an '06 Sedan (Bose) and I just could not believe the factory Bose components. My gosh, they reminded me of those old cars with a single/mono speaker in the dash and a pushbutton AM radio.

Those stock speakers are 'ok' if you're OK with stock quality 'radio', but if you're considering putting money into an amp, don't dare stick with those crappy stock speakers. FWIW, I just got a Polk component set on Amazon for $103 delivered. You don't have to spend a fortune on speakers, but an amp and stock speakers from the Bose system is a bad idea and a waste.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:31 PM
In a coupe, there shouldn't be ANY need for more than 1) a great component set up front, 2) a smallish sub in the trunk that you can wire down to 2 ohm [either 1 X S2 or 2 X D4 voice coil(s)] which you port/seal depending on your musical tastes, and 3) a great 4-chan amp... I'm sorry, I just don't see the purpose of a 6-chan amp here. Really don't. Unless you wanna go active (bi-amping your front stage)... whole different ball game.

OP, what's your total budget for the whole system? What aftermarket piece(s) do you already have? Are you dead set on the Stealthbox? Musical tastes? Goal, i.e. SPL-to-SQ ratio in terms of desired results?