Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Recommend speakers/amp for cabin?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:45 AM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,038 Likes on 611 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
The Focal and G4500 were on my list too, but the G4500 is now a discontinued item (although still available). JL Audio's got a new XD line that looks promising. Class D but <1% THD and 104 SN. They've got 3 models, a 400/4, a 600/6 and a 600/1. And they're small!!
The question I have is whether the THD listed is at 100% RMS or not - neither the THD or S/N at listed RMS is listed on Crutchfield yet.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 04-04-2010 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
The Focal and G4500 were on my list too, but the G4500 is now a discontinued item (although still available). JL Audio's got a new XD line that looks promising. Class D but <1% THD and 104 SN. They've got 3 models, a 400/4, a 600/6 and a 600/1. And they're small!!
I have the HD 750/1 and HD 600/4 Now on this G, on my old G i used Focal Power 2150 and 1800 powering an all focal system, Both were great, I personally dont notice much of a difference in both of my setups, I spent more on the Focal setup but am just as happy with the cheaper setup I use now.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:00 AM
Jl xd 600/6

I am running the JL XD 600/6, just got it this week, it sounds good. I am happy with the sound. I got it on Amazon for $399.95 + shipping.

It sounds good. I keep on trying to hear the flaws and don't.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Wrathernaut
The question I have is whether the THD listed is at 100% RMS or not - neither the THD or S/N at listed RMS is listed on Crutchfield yet.
THD is never listed @ full unclipped output, too many variables for consumers to look at (preout V in particular). S/N is A-weighted, measured @ 1W rms output to put it simple. The difference between say, 0.001% THD and 0.1% THD (numbers class-Ds rarely put out anyway) is almost never audible.

D's fine, since the distortion it makes is all up at the higher-end of the audio spectrum that cheaper speakers probably won't reproduce well enough to tell.
How could an amplifier's clipping point (inducing distortion into speaker voice coils) be frequency dependent? THD varies with impedence - wiring configs. Hence a 'closer' clipping point @ 1 ohm vs 4 ohm, if you want to address a class-D's response. Stereo/multi-chan amps will obviously run cleaner @ 4 ohm vs 2 ohm, but the difference is usually only heard at high volume (unless you have a POS amp, too many shady brands to list).

My $0.02.

http://bcae1.com/

Old 04-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

How could an amplifier's clipping point (inducing distortion into speaker voice coils) be frequency dependent?
Don't take my word for it.

http://www.bcae1.com/ampclass.htm

# Class A amplifiers are very inefficient and produce lots of heat because there is a large amount of current flowing through the output transistors even with no audio signal.
# Class B amplifiers are more efficient but will have a 'notch' distortion.
# Class AB amplifiers are moderately efficient (depending on bias current) but notch distortion is eliminated by the idle (bias) current.
# Class D amplifiers are very efficient but are generally used for non high fidelity or subwoofer applications.
http://www.caraudiobook.com/car_audi...amplifiers.htm
Class D designs are almost to the point where they are suitable for high frequency and subwoofer use. Most do not have the fidelity (yet) needed for anything above the bass range but they're getting there.
http://www.crutchfield.com/Learn/lea...ary.html#class
Class D amplifiers produce higher distortion than AB designs due to the high-speed switching on and off of the transistors, but this distortion occurs at high frequencies that are typically removed by a low-pass filter.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 04-04-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

I have to agree with the caraudiobook.com's assessment the most - Class D amps are almost suitable for full-range use, but I think the price premium on the ones that are nearly as good as an AB isn't worth paying for their increased efficiency and decreased size.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Don't take my word for it.

http://www.bcae1.com/ampclass.htm
It's not that I don't believe you, I may just completely numb here - I don't see where bcae1 points out that THD increases with frequency. I just don't.

Not targeting a specific class of amps - can you honestly say that impedence is not a factor when conducting THD bench tests?

Old 04-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Originally Posted by drozzy
It's not that I don't believe you, I may just completely numb here - I don't see where bcae1 points out that THD increases with frequency. I just don't.

Not targeting a specific class of amps - can you honestly say that impedence is not a factor when conducting THD bench tests?
From my reading, it would be the transitions from full on to full off causing distortion, and the more often that happens (higher freq?) the more chances for distortion.

I can't argue that impedance isn't a factor in THD bench tests.

Unless they're CEA-2006 compliant, when it isn't:

CEA-2006 Compliant
On May 28, 2003, the Consumer Electronics Association published standard CEA-2006, "Testing & Measurement Methods for Mobile Audio Amplifiers." This "voluntary" standard advocates a uniform method for determining an amplifier's RMS power and signal-to-noise ratio. Using 14.4 volts, RMS watts are measured into a 4-ohm impedance load at 1 percent Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) plus noise, at a frequency range (for general purpose amplifiers) of 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz. Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4 ohms. This applies to both external amplifiers and the amplifiers within in-dash receivers.
I'm a bit confused as to whether they put a 4-ohm load on it, and once there's 1% THD, they measure the watts, then round down and sell it as that many watts RMS with 1% THD, or a manufacturer says "It's 200w RMS amp" so they put a 4-ohm load on it, pull the RMS watts out of it, and if THD is less than 1% it's CEA-2006 certified at that RMS, and if it's lower than 1%, you can claim ".05% THD at 100% of RMS".

Now if the THD and S/N aren't done by CEA-2006 specifications, then you're going entirely by the manufacturer's claims.
Like the "225 watt" Bose sound system in our cars.

Last edited by Wrathernaut; 04-04-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:41 PM
From my reading, it would be the transitions from full on to full off causing distortion, and the more often that happens (higher freq?) the more chances for distortion.

I can't argue that impedance isn't a factor in THD bench tests.
If your class-D amp has a very good, well designed, fully regulated power supply, you could potentially get away with it in a full range application. But you'd pay big bucks (PDXs) for that, and class-Ds on full range speakers sound a little "colored" if you ask me. Hence their subbass (sole?) purpose.

I'm a bit confused as to whether they put a 4-ohm load on it, and once there's 1% THD, they measure the watts, then round down and sell it as that many watts RMS with 1% THD, or a manufacturer says "It's 200w RMS amp" so they put a 4-ohm load on it, pull the RMS watts out of it, and if THD is less than 1% it's CEA-2006 certified at that RMS, and if it's lower than 1%, you can claim ".05% THD at 100% of RMS".

Now if the THD and S/N aren't done by CEA-2006 specifications, then you're going entirely by the manufacturer's claims.
Like the "225 watt" Bose sound system in our cars.
Measuring rated power & measuring minimum possible THD are two different processes, I myself am a bit confused by what your question (?) here would be lol. CEA-2006 ratings aren't good for all kinds of amps... remember the PG Xenons? Their design, similar to JL's Slash series, allowed them to push rated power (i.e. not exceeding 1% THD) @ 1-to-4 ohm, so regardless of your wiring config.

I'll make an assumption here and say that when you talk about "100% RMS", you're referring to the deck's preout V being matched to the amp's input lvl sensitivity. Right? So yeah, I got a CD5000 (measured 7.14V rms @ full unclipped output) in my Maxima, and a TRA560.2 in the trunk which accepts a 'maximum' of 12V rms. Gains being set correctly, when I reach full unclipped output on the deck (72/80 volume in this case), the amp produces "100% RMS" - which could coincidentally be @ 1% THD, but very rarely is. Less work done by the amp (ex: 4 ohm), less of a requirement to dissipate heat = generally, lower lvls of THD.